High Falls State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by shoman118, Jan 5, 2016.

1. shoman118

shoman118 New Member

We spent most of a day and 1 night at High Falls in December while on a road trip. Rate was $32/night plus a $5 park pass for a water/elec. site. We chose a site in the lake loop which has 1 bathhouse, about 15 sites (back in only I believe) and several yurts available to rent. Closer to the lake and dam are a fishing dock, pool (closed at the time), and playground. The playground and shelters seemed to have a lot of day use visitors, but the campground was fairly empty (we stayed on a Sunday night). Our site was of good size (for a pop up) and I liked the steps up to a separate gravel pad for the picnic table and fire ring. They even have a pole for your lantern! We walked around and checked out all the sites in the Lake Area and I would recommend 110 and 109...they were the most private and had a bit of a lake view without being on the lower side of the loop. But they are also the furthest from the bathhouse.

They had had lots of rain in the area and the falls were roaring. We hiked down the Historic trail, past the old powerhouse, but didn't take the road any farther to the much larger river camping areas. I wish we had checked them out for next time. That area has 50 amp service and several pull through sites according to the map.

One thing about this park that was a little strange to me is that it is basically in two parts on opposite sides of a fairly busy road. To get from our campground to the trails by the falls you have to cross this road and walk along it and over the bridge to get to the river area or the area by the park office. Cars are traveling this road at at least 45 mph, and there is no sidewalk.

The best part of this stop was Ole Rudy's Bar-B-Que...take High Falls road back out and over I-75, it is a small trailer near the Flying J. Yummy! There was a little place to get supplies (milk, eggs, steak, alcohol, propane tanks) along this road, I think Buck Creak Market or something like that.

This was a fun day stop, I think during the summer you could spend a few days here, canoeing and swimming and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We camped here as well back on Memorial Day 2016. X2 on shoman118's assessment. The pictures she put there are of the dam for the lake. The park area across the road has the actual High Falls. There's a nice sliding rock to play on at the base of the falls. Lot's of leaches around though. Check your body carefully...or someone you love :)

Not sure I'll camp here again on a holiday. It kind of functions as a county park as well. It is very heavily used on weekends and trash along the trails near the falls is everywhere. The pool area and lake area was full of people. Traffic coming in and out was difficult. Fortunately, the campground hosts did a good job of keeping day use folks out of the camping loop so the sites were peaceful.

The park rangers do some really great programs that no one except my family participated in that weekend. We took a creek hike with her and learned about ecology. Think it was called a "micro-ecology hike" My 6 year old son caught lots of bugs and crawfish. Also, got to do some crafts another day.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We like High Falls and I will second the tip about the river-side campground. It's much more shaded and somewhat more remote. We love the GA State Park.