High heat glue for led ceiling lights?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by k-t-did, Jul 25, 2020.

1. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

F54EF500-A88E-402B-AF36-6CFE90744817.jpeg I used 3m adhesive backed led lights in my vintage pop up...however, the roof is fiberglass, molded, no insulation. The heat of the sun loosened the adhesive and today, they have fallen off one by one! Can anyone recommend a high heat adhesive that can tolerate the temps the roof receives on a sunny day? Plan to permanently mount the backing plates and store the pucks and batteries separately when popping down. Thanks.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Maybe hang lights from tension rods which would span from side to side.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I tried a hot glue gun on the abs, it didn't work. Gorilla glue did but is messy. I would try industrial velcro. Steves spring rod is also a good idea.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

3M VHB tape is what I use on both the inside and outside of my pup. It's been holding a plastic wire mold across the ceiling for about 4 years now. You don't get much hotter than it does here. But be sure to follow the prep instructions for cleaning the spots. Dirt or grease can defeat any adhesive.

5. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Second the industrial velcro mentioned above..

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I used industrial velcro on my ABS ceiling to secure tension rod pockets for my shelving unit. They failed after 2 years in the TX heat. I think I will try the VHB tape next.

7. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013...aulk&qid=1595777717&sprefix=lexel+adhe&sr=8-5
    If you really want it stuck up there permanently this stuff is awesome. Stays flexible and crystal clear. Downside is that it takes a while to fully cure so you would need to probably tape the bases in place till it at least begins to cure. It's very sticky/tacky right out of the tube and I can say from experience that it sticks to anything...clean or not so clean. I used it for the pug's velcro I mounted under the roof of the pup. Well, I use it for about everything I need to seal or stick now as long as it can cure. 24 hrs and it's not going anywhere. 7 days to "fully" cure, but faster in the heat.

I buy it in the caulk tube version at lowes for @$9.00. Wear gloves since it doesn't wash off.

And nice pup btw! [:D]

8. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

I had similar LED pod lights attached with velcro on my Jeep Cherokee hatch, lasted better than 10 years and was still in place when i sold the vehicle.

These things are very light, the AAA batteries are most of the weight.