High mileage TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Beekeeper1, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

My T.V. is a 2004 oldsmobile bravado with 189000 miles (on the original spark plugs; no lie). The car really runs good. Just wondering how many others use a T.V. with high mileage and how far will or would you tow your pup.

2. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

I meant to say oldsmobile bravado.

3. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

Well crab, when I spell the name correctly the auto correct on my tablet changes back. I'm sure most of you know what it should be.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have an 03 4 runner with 148000 not as many miles as you, but outside a new catalytic converter and JV boots and of course general maintenance, everything else original and still going strong. With that said I don’t think I would take it further than 12 hour drives from Virginia as I got to face it sooner than later something will need to be fixed and I’d rather be where I could find help, and won’t put me out a pretty penny if I have to find an alternate way home. This is the first car of mine that made it Past 100k everything else gave up the ghost way before I felt it should. So I’m very worried it’s just a matter of time. My mechanic is not worried at all and gives me the impression these suvs are built to last. I must have developed an irrational fear though but also knowing I have very limited Emergancy funds does not help either.

soft 17 likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

One of my trucks has 219k. I bought it new and have taken the best care of it I thought I could. I wouldn't be afraid to tow with it anywhere.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is not so much as the mileage as the upkeep, if you or the PO has taken care of the TV then you should have no problem. I have a friend that had 350 K + on his truck and it is still running and towing.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Mine is a 2002 Dodge Durango. But it's only got about 90k miles on it. Plan on towing with it everywhere upon retirement. Not concerned, but will have my trusted shop do a run through on it before I start long distance drives.

9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Ours is a 2000 Ford Ranger - 211,000 miles on it, original engine, but it's on it's second transmission. Wouldn't hesitate to head out wherever I want to go with it. Had a bit of an overheating problem last year, but a replacement radiator took care of that.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

1997 F150 with 135,000 miles. Low mileage for a 1997, but it is still 22 years old. It had a front locking brake issue a couple of years ago, but it was moisture boiling in the brake fluid after 20 years. After 20 years, changed the spark plugs, wires, humming idle air control valve, EG valve that had the check engine light on, serpentine belt, and added a transmission cooler. Headed to Florida keys this year.

11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

My 2004 Expedition is low mileage for its age, I suppose, at just about 105,000. I would drive it pretty much anywhere as a TV. I’ve had the rear wiper motor replaced. The front passenger window motor seems to be getting old. Resistor pack for the HVAC blower. I had an actual breakdown on my last long trip, and as a result, I have a brand new (rebuilt) alternator. I probably took a lot of life out of the battery on that trip, coasting into an unplanned campground with about 9 volts on the meter, because I had to jump it recently after two weeks of not using it (it’s not my daily driver, hence the low miles).

I also replaced the nerf bars last year, just so it wouldn’t look to junky. It has some of the typical aluminum closures problems with Expeditions of that age. If it starts to look too junky, I might spring for new paint on the hood and liftgate. I’m hesitant to invest too much in a vehicle of its value, though (the nerf bars were about 12% of its value!).

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Years ago, Hot Rod magazine did an ongoing feature series on owning a budget hot rod. One thing that has stuck with me all these years, was that if you're going to own an older vehicle you should expect things to go wrong from time to time. But having to spend a couple (few) hundred buck from time to time, beats the heck out of a monthly payment. ;) [:)C]

WrkrBee likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

See? I get nervous about towing with my 2011 Expedition with 123k on it. But Sooo many folks tow with high mileage TVs. This site reigns me in. I've got a long trip to Canada this summer and will be doing fluid changes beforehand. But It'll probably be fine. It's never given me any trouble towing.

14. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

My 2008 Expedition has over 165k on it and had no problems towing the hybrid. As someone else said maintenance is always the key.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

"I will drive this thing until broken parts fall out the bottom" -me

16. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

I’m about two months away from a 6,000 mile round-trip excursion to California towing my Aliner. I’ll be doing it with my 2004 Toyota 4Runner with 146,000 miles.

Not particularly worried. I just plan to flush the coolant system and replace the radiator hoses and accessory belt before I go. Also I’ll lube up the suspension and the u-joints with fresh grease.

Oil changes done religiously, she got new plugs about 6 months ago, and everything seems to be running well. New brakes about a year ago as well. Like anything else, if you take care of it, it’ll take care of you.

soft 17 likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I have no idea when the coolant has been flushed last. Never? Maybe I should look into that.
    I'm building a little project to be able to monitor oil pressure and temperature over the CAN bus. Those are not available via the Ford ECU. I want to keep track of them over the long tow.

18. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

I know its not a fair comparison because its a 4Runner but our 2001 T4R has 250,000 and still towing strong and getting 20 mpg doing so. I always give her a full tune up and tranny fluid change before a big trip. We will be doing a large trip this summer with it. Ca to South Dakota and down through Yellowstone.

supersaiyan93 likes this.
  19. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Orgiinal owner of a 1992 K1500 Chevrolet 4x4 with 183000 miles pulling a 2011 JAYCO 1206.
    Like another said, I won’t get off where I can’t get help but at least I can still wrench on this one unlike the newer ones.

supersaiyan93 likes this.
  20. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

It's a SBC. You can find parts for those growing wild in the desert. lol.

kcsa75, Brett1962 and JimmyM like this.