High Wall Popups

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Nilla3321, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Great video. The spreadsheet is a great tool.

2. Popup Tribe

Popup Tribe New Member

We've got a Rockwood HW276, it's got all the things you say you're looking but it weighs in at about 3,200 lbs. They've been making the HW276 for years so you can find old models. We love ours!

IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1640.JPG

3. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

This is our highwall 2007 Fleetwood Sequoia inside look like: DSC_11101.jpg

DSC_11121.jpg

IMG_15181.jpg

4. Nilla3321

Nilla3321 New Member

That dinette is awesome!

People seem to have very strong opinions about Rockwood trailers which is why I hadn't really considered one but it certainly does tick all the boxes! I do like that it's a bit lighter than the others.

5. stierheim

stierheim Member

FYI, we have towed our 2006 Fleetwood Niagara (GVWR 3,770 Lbs) with three different Explorers (all with the V-6 engine) with no issues except for the 2003. When loaded we are around 3,500 Lbs on the trailer with a tongue weight around 300 Lbs.

All of the Explorers had the Class III towing package (5,000 Lbs tow rating). For some reason on the 2003, Ford did not provide an adequate transmission cooler which I solved by adding an external one.

6. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Arcadia.

Its a Niagara without the microwave/microwave cabinet - its a bed/couch instead. Bit lighter, but really close

We tow ours with a Volvo XC90, so similar tow limits

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    shuang2 likes this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Well, she did say hubby wanted a microwave and she wanted a double sink. I'm pretty familiar with the Arcadia.

8. Nilla3321

Nilla3321 New Member

He does and we could buy a microwave to work around that. But that little cabinet they have for the microwave seems like a great spot to toss the laptop and watch movies too so I'm pretty sold on Niagara or a Select =)

There's a 2005 Niagara nearby but they want $8,500 for it which just seems way too high.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That does seem high.

As far as Niagara vs Arcadia (or Sequoia), if you may need an extra bed at some point, though, the ones with the U-shaped sofa are much better.

Unless you have all the time in the world to look, though, you'll be like the rest of us and consider every popup advertised nearby because the selection isn't that great. It does seem like most HWs of that vintage are Niagaras though!

(Look at Eric's photo of the sofa--there is a skinny cabinet for your laptop. Not quite as big, but it'll do in a pinch if y'all don't bounce around too much.)

10. Nilla3321

Nilla3321 New Member

I never noticed that little shelf! That would definitely work. I've definitely been looking at everything but since our little Jayco is sufficient we're happy to wait until the right one comes along. Niagara's "pop up" (haha I'm so clever...) fairly often. I'm sure this guy is just trying to take advantage of the shortage and I certainly don't blame him! Not sure how close NADA is to proper pricing but they're suggesting $6,500 for the 2005.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/d/riverside-2005-pop-up-tent-trailer-high/7213397332.html

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Ah S. CA. No wonder it looks so good. If it was back east or in the south, there'd probably be mold. :) It looks super clean--I bet it's never been near dirt! But does he really walk in it without the stabilizers down?

And pretty sure that's not actually self-contained. Still needs a portable gray tank (the newer ones don't...at least not for the first couple gallons) but that's standard popup stuff. Cassette toilet is (arguably) better than the toilet in later models, though, so that's good. I'm laughing at the "full-sized range" description. Obviously not someone who cooks.

12. Nilla3321

Nilla3321 New Member

Haha, we are lucky on that front. We don't see much water damage. Unfortunately, it also means no one checks to see if it's actually water tight! I did have a chuckle at full-sized range too. I have a 6 burner monstrosity at home, I know a full-sized range when I see one.

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I found out the only benefit of highwall was: ability to Boondock and have ice pops. Love my 3 cubic foot fridge with freezer.

14. Nilla3321

Nilla3321 New Member

15. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

hope it meets your expectations