Highlands Hammock SP in Sebring Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by StevensFamily, Apr 9, 2013.

1. StevensFamily

StevensFamily Excited about camping!

Just wondering if anyone has ever camped here? The reviews seem to be hit and miss. DH and I would like to plan a trip not to far from home over Memorial day weekend to test the NTU 1999 Coleman Niagara. We have friends staying on a lake nearby and his seems to be the closest park with Camping.

Side note: (Although we both camped as children/teens we are "New to this" as we were spoiled brats and our parents always packed and took care of things. hince wanting to stay "close to home")

2. campermom

campermom Member

We enjoyed this park. Pleanty of hiking/biking trails and an interresting museum to spend some time in. There were not alot of trees/bushes between the sites but we like to socialize with the neighbors so not such an issue for us. We had site 130 which was nice because it was a pull thru and I am still learning to back up the PUP. The only issue was it was RIGHT next to the best bath house (good and bad). Lots of late night potty traffic. Like I said I like to socialize but when I am sleeping and you are as loud as a truck at 3 am to use the potty it can be annoying [;)].

3. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Cuckoo....where are you? You love this park and give a good review. [:D]

It is a nice park. Some good hiking trails and some good geocaching.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

There is a camping club in Florida that just held a rally there. Check out their Facebook page Pop Up Peeps

5. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We camp here a few times a year. Great park with nice trails for walking and biking. They have a tram ride that takes you all over the restricted areas and you are able to different types of wildlife, deer, gators, turtles, birds, etc. They also have a museum that has the history of the park. If you walk early morning hours, you may see the deer then. We have always enjoyed this park. Take lots of pictures and enjoy. Let us know how your w/e was. Lots of area parks to camp in that area also.

6. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Good gosh almighty I hate that place! [:(O]

The "Peeps" had a rally there and I didn't get invited? Go figure... I feel scorned... [?:~{]

Anyhoo... Please disregard my first statement. It is actually a very nice campground with plenty of hiking trails and such to keep you busy for the weekend if you have never been there. If you weren't visiting friends you could join us down at Fisheating Creek just a little south on Hwy. 27. A few folks from the portal here will be there... You'll enjoy Highlands Hammock. Have fun and good luck on your maiden voyage! [SUN]

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Dang, gotta work that w/e but looking forward to Fisheating Creek soon, I just love the name [8D]

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

OK maybe it wasn't a rally. From the pics it sure seemed like a lot of folks camping together.

9. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

HH is a great CG especially if it is close to you. Make your reservations now as it is a popular place.
    Enjoy your first trip.

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

site #55 at HHSP. loved it. Take Tram ride, sit on drivers side of Tram facing forward [8D]
    [​IMG]

11. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

It was the PopUpPortal Spring Rally that was held at HH. We all had a great time.

Just to clarify...the Portal is a different group than the "Peeps". Some are members of both. All are welcomed at the Portal. As Cuckoo said, some of us are having an informal gathering at Fisheating Creek for Memorial Day weekend. We will be there from Friday through Tuesday.

12. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Didn't even think any Peeps were there.?
    All are welcomed at the Portal. I see what you did there. Lol

You guys have fun at the Creek.

13. StevensFamily

How'd you like this site?

14. StevensFamily

I have visited the park in the past on a day trip and really like it. I did not realize you could stay overnight. It's looking like we are going to try it out. I will post on how it goes. I would love to visit Fish eating creek, but I have heard that the misquitos will carry you away! So bring your bug spray and citronella, or lemongrass and listerine :)

15. StevensFamily

We may have had a change of plans, if we do decide to join you all where can we find you? I mean have you all reserved your site?

16. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

17. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Side note there isn't much shade at the Creek and most will be gone by now.

18. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

If you do want a little more privacy at HH try to get a site over around 115 through 118. There are some bushes between the sites over there. I had 117 at the rally and it was pretty nice. The trails are pretty cool. And there is an 8 mile bike trail that goes both offroading and on pavement. Enjoy.

19. garrettrl24

garrettrl24 2005 Dodge Durango

This is our go to park when we book late on holiday weekends,we can always find a spot here. It is a very nice park and my family loves the tram ride.