Hikers

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by cllowe, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Any hikers here? Kind of new to it myself. Just planed a three day trip on the Appalachian trail with two others.

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Enjoy...Have done several sections over the years. We only do day hikes anymore, but trying to get back into some backpacking trips.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

One of the reasons we started camping was to explore areas more thoroughly. My backpacking days are over, and my day hiking limits much reduced, but I get out as much as I can. My husband backpacks and day hikes. He's known as a bit of a hiking machine, since he manages 15-20 miles a day (sometimes more) for day hikes, and 15 miles or so with a backpack. He did Rim to River and back at Grand Canyon, a couple of years ago - definitely not recommended for the inexperienced, not acclimated, or out of shape.
    Last year, he did a backpack from each rim of Grand Canyon (both walk-in permits). Plus lots of day hikes at both rims (we had two trips to South Rim, one to North), and in Colorado and Utah. We'll be a North Rim of GC for Memorial Day week; he plans to do a backpack if he can get a walk-in permit, but will decide on which one depending on weather. For the Portal Rally in Colorado this year, there is a trail into the Weminuche Wilderness from the campground. He may leave and return from that TH, or I may drop him off at another and he'll hike back to camp. On our 2-week trip to WY, he has a multi-day backpack planned in the Wind River Range.

4. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I hike. Dw and I went Saturday. Wanted to do it on Sunday and Monday, but the weather didn't cooperate. I want to get back to backpacking, but have not done it in a few years. I get up weekend mornings and dw is just getting up when I get back from a hike. When camping I try to catch a hike before breakfast, start breakfast as dw gets dressed, later in the day dw and I may hit a trail or two.

5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

I'm workamping in Vegas for the winter. Just joined a MeetUp group- Overweight Hikers! First outing on Saturday.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Dayhiker.... Smokey Mtns. Like hikes with great view payoffs . My screen name (jumpoff) is a hike that includes a portion of the AP trail where it crosses over Newfound Gap inside GSMP.

7. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Man yeah! Its why I camp - to explore trails and history. My 3 dogs are all 10 years old now and I've noticed their bodies ie... hips, are not liking 10-15 mile hikes anymore and I respect that. Now I try to get them near streams so they can wade and take a load off. You said you were new to hiking in your post. How rusty are your general map and compass skills? I have a GPS and use it but my map/compass don't need batteries. Plus I write on my 1:75,000 topo map things that Nat Geo or mapmakers didn't put on the map so that I can share with others like Pikes's alleged camp cave during his 1806 expedition to - Pikes Peak, abandoned steam engine, old mines, old Civilian Conservation Corps work camps, busted up moonshiners still etc. Still something about X marks the spot vs just handing off GPS files. I also read a lot of old (1800-1900) local history books. They are full of things that have been lost over time and I can transpose those general localities to my map and when I find what I'm looking for, mark it and way-point it. My wife is a technophobe so I can set the back course on the compass and put it in her hands over the map and say "if anything happens to me this is your route out of here"
    Cheers

8. jumpoff

Let us know how it goes and what section of the trail you are planning on hiking ?

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've done several sections of the AT as well. Did NY, NJ, PA and a section thru the Shenandoah NP. Also have been to Philmont Scout Ranch in NM twice. 1st trip (2013) did 92 miles and the 2nd trip (2015) did 90 miles.

I really enjoy backpacking. You get to see what most people don't. I really want to get back into it! Haven't been backpacking since I got back from Philmont in July 2015. Ended up with a stress fracture in my right knee, man it took a long time to heal!!! [:(]

Make sure to use a bear bag hung from a tree. Seen many backpackers loose their food to animals and bears because they were not using common sense in putting their smellables out of reach of animals.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm a day hiker myself I never could get into back packing. My two dogs loves(d) the trails as well. However old age caught up with them and my knees are not like they used to. So our hikes are now limited. I can still go 14 miles on flatish ground add any hills to the mix my miles drop down considerably. [:(]. I love camping as I get to see so many other trails, and landscapes. My camp is kind of like a base camp for me as im always out and about on the trails and only back to eat dinner enjoy the fire and sleep. Been on some beautiful trails through the years and some portions on the AT.

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Just a curiosity for me - several are talking about 15 miles a day. I can see that to be a good distance for most active people so I'm not questioning that, but what is the objective of the hike? I get the impression that it is mostly exercise/meditation. That doesn't leave much time to wander about the sights that you are seeing I don't think. Just get a quick picture or snapshot in your memory and keep moving as there wouldn't be much time for reflection in one spot.

I see keeping a pace for completing a large-scale hike like a state (or more) of the AT, but why that magic number for a day hike?

12. jumpoff

There isn't really a magic number. It depends on your conditioning and how much time you have and your desire to see things along the way. I can't speak for anyone else but my day hikes are confined to established and marked trails.. So they either are a loop trail or hiking to a destination and then retracing the steps back. On a day hike you hafta end up back where you started. The length you can hike in a specific time frame is also dictated by the terrain and external variable factors like weather. . One day I hiked about 16 miles, part of it was very steep ups and downs and it was exhausting. I'll never do that again.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Those of you that can hike, never take it for granted. Appreciate every step you can take!

A "hike" for me right now is from the van to the camper. My knees are both shot. I can barely walk at all.

Both knees are getting replaced soon, but even then, I will never be able to do extended walking due to wear and tear on the replacements. The opportunity for hiking in my lifetime is a season that has passed, unfortunately. I regret never taking in more of nature when I had the chance to do so.

14. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

This is us. Where I'm in good shape, Mrs Belch has a bum knee and can't walk across the street. We can't find anyone who'll replace it, because she's under 50. It's kayaks for us ...

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As for distance, my husband hikes to see the scenery and enjoy it, takes plenty of photos, but is blessed to be able to still hike fairly large mileages. He admits that he has slowed down (he's now in his 50s), but also allows that he developed more stamina around the age of 40. He has not done long trails, such as the AT, CDT, PCT. CO Trail, AZ Trail (though has done sections of some as part of other hikes), but began to backpack in order to see things that were beyond the reach of day hiking. Even while camping, he'll wander off after supper and manage anywhere up to 5 or 6 miles.
    ETA: seeing the scenery is one of the reasons the folks doing Rim-to-Rim-Rim in one shot puzzles us. They start and/or end in the dark. I've hiked those trails, and they are scary enough to me in place in daylight - doing it by headlamp would not be easier and I'd miss the views that are my reward. For some the reward is doing the challenging hike.

In my best years, I could hike 15-16 miles fairly easily, depending on terrain. I never could hike at DH's speeds, so he slowed to mine. Now, I'm limited to under 10, more likely under 5 or 6 - I did close to 5 at 9500' or so last year.

There are lots of variables - altitude, weather, terrain, conditioning. We talk about "Grand Canyon flat" which is definitely not the same as flat in other places. DH rides his bike to work as much as he can, which helps a lot with conditioning. I go to the gym twice a week, at a minimum, but still have to deal with age, back, foot, and other joint issues, asthma, and minor lung damage from my bout with pleurisy in '15. So no, neither of us takes hiking for granted, and I encourage my husband to hike as much as he wants on our trips, though he does spend time hiking and exploring with me. Even in the tent, I would base camp while he backpacked, but the pups and TT have made that more enjoyable.

16. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Well said Orchid and thanks for sharing and putting it out there about yourself--I hope you new knees surprise you in what you get to do. I don't take it for granted and my DW and I try our best to teach that to our kids (girls 4 and 6). About every other weekend during the summer we take them camping and on every trip we take hikes--up to 6 miles (the youngest spends half of it on my back). They rock climb with me when I go (~20x per year in the mountains) and our whole family has ski passes (we've been 5 times already this season). We worry that we are forcing them to do too much, but last weekend I had one of those moments that seemed small, but made me cry: My 4 year old just had a scarey moment. We were skiing a bunny hill on the back of the mountain and to get back to the lodge we had to ski an intermediate slope, which unfortunately had some ice on it. My wife stays right behind and I stay in front. She got out of control for a second, smartly crashed herself, but then cried for 5-10 minutes because it scared her so bad (for the trolls--she was never in danger either my wife or I would have caught her). We went to the lodge had lunch, but took her back out--she didn't want to go. We hemmed and hawed whether or not we should, but decided that it was better to get back on the horse. I was following her on the next run and I heard her saying something so I skied up next to her and she was singing her favorite made-up song, "All I want for my heart is love," with a big smile on her face as she skied. Felt great. I hope that doesn't sound to much like bragging [sf] [:D]

17. Orchid

I'm 52 now, but my knees have needed replaced for many years. They are literally bone on bone with dozens, if not hundreds of spurs on them. Quite a few rips, tears, etc. in surrounding cartilage.

This past summer got me on the fast track to the surgeon. My kidneys took a dive to low Stage 4 and I had to be taken off all NSAIDS. With no pain meds, they are not trying to put me off anymore.

:) :) :) This is so sweet!

I need to find this guy's blog I was following awhile back, so I can post it. This man took his entire passel of young children on the craziest adventures, many without his wife while she was traveling for work. I was amazed at his courage and confidence in his children's abilities. After awhile, I did find out he was a doctor, so could handle emergencies. Those kids were living the good life! I'll look for it.

ETA: I found it!

Prepare to be amazed! This family, including 7 children camp in hammocks or a small tipi with no floor, in the snow! These kids not only hike, they cross country ski, climb volcanoes, rock climb, kayak, etc. all while carrying all their own gear. They are most often nowhere near civilization.

http://griffisfamilyoutdoors.blogspot.com/

18. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oh man, that sucks about your kidneys. Omega-3 fatty acids have good anti-inflammatory effects and your probably on glucosamine and chondroitin as well...? I am not sure what your doctor says about either of these 2, but I say omega-3 FA work, but not that well (only reducing inflammation by about 30%) and that other supplements fall into the can't hurt, might help category. But with all drugs, they are filtered out by the liver or the kidneys so, in other words, don't trust me on medication recommendations--reminds me of the Seinfeld when Kramer takes the dogs medications! There's also gabapentin and amantadine.

Take care!

19. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Terrain is definitely a huge consideration and what you find along the way determines how much territory you cover . I like to start early in the morning when the critters are moving about, eat a little along the way, and take it all in as you go. We hiked Mt Rosa last summer which was almost 5000ft vertical but it took four miles to get in to where we were going! Then another mile of zig-zagging across the terrain to find the cave we were looking for. In the summer, CO sunlight seems to last until 10pm (almost) so getting an early start can lead to a long distance hike without worry of running out of available light. Plus summer thunderstorms hit just after mid day so you have to plan to stop under shelter somewhere along the way. Rain at 7000ft+ isn't refreshing - its freezing; then throw in graupel and hailstones and you got fun [SUN] [{}=] [sf] [:D] all in one day :)

Attached Files:

20. Orchid

Thanks! My kidneys went up to Stage 2 once I got off NSAIDS and supplements. Nephrologist took me off all supplements as well, including my Omega-3. Gabapentin was a no-go, but I forget the reason. Never heard of the last one, but will look it up.

I could take Oxycontin or Dilaudid, but would mean monthly visits to a pain management clinic over an hour away. I declined. The surgeon will probably hook me up with decent pain meds until surgery, but the other doctors at ortho are not allowed to, only the surgeon. Appointment on the 19th.

Did you check out that Griff family blog? Those people are bad*ss, even the kids. [LOL] If anyone says anything helicopter-parentish about your daughter skiing, refer them there.