Hikers

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by cllowe, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Used to,....getting into my late sixty's ,knee are shot that is why I went PU camping. Thats getting too hassle with the putting up and then down,....will sell or trade PU for Either A-frame or a pod. I still have my "Deuce" gear from the sixtys. I do miss back packing just getting up there.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Is that a brand? If so, I would say that is quite an endorsement of quality, 50 years.

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Thanks for a good post. It's a reminder to all of us to take nothing for granted. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@CO Hiker - DH has been chased off more than one peak by lightning, if not the rest of the monsoonal weather.

We don't take hiking or any exploration for granted, especially as age-related things catch up with us. DH has had two encounters with cars while commuting to work on bicycle. Last year's was strange, since he hit a parked car and went into the rear windshield of it. Since he had a concussion and no one witnessed the impact, we don't know why he hit the car. (An ER doc saw him cartwheeling, in his rear-view mirror, so he had care immediately.) His knee was badly cut, he nicked a tendon, so far it has not bothered him too much for hiking (it gets tired), but kneeling for anything (camper, photography) is still iffy.
    I've had lots of "stuff"over the last few years, and a bunch of surgeries. No joint replacements, but it has all added up - my back surgery almost 2 years ago only addressed part of the issues, and I have some nerve damage in my feet from that, on top of issues in the feet themselves. After my bout with pleurisy, I acquired a pulmonologist who is not a camper or hiker, and and admits that he does not understand what I "do out there". He has told me that I should wear a mask when there is wood smoke in the air (wild or campfire) - so far, retreating inside has been sufficient - but if you see me with a mask on, you'll know why.

5. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

You're a great Dad. Thanks for sharing that story. It was heart warming to say the least.

6. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Thanks jumpoff! We try. I stand by the idea, though, that I won't know we did a good job raising our kids until they r adults. That's why your pics from camping with your daughters warms mine. :)

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'd venture to guess that he swerved to miss something. With any brain injury, it's impossible to remember the minutes, sometimes hours prior to the accident. Super scary.

You can never explain. It's just something a person has to experience for themselves, and have a need for in their soul.

Not being able to be around campfires would be a terrible thing for me. I do have asthma, but well controlled by meds, and not bothered by campfires. That one is a hard pill to swallow. I really enjoy sitting around the fire. I wonder if they make fake electric campfires that you could have outside? Prior to having a real fireplace, we have an electric one that looked totally real. It even put off heat. You couldn't tell it was not a real fire unless you were up close and inspecting, looking for signs of fake-ness.

8. kitphantom

@Orchid - wood campfires are something we've never done in all the years we've camped together (28th season coming up), either in back or front country. I grew up with a cabin in the woods, learned to make a fire to cook on and in the wood stove, just never wanted to bother with wood while camping. In many of the places we camp a fire ban is a regular occurrence. We finally acquired a Little Red Campfire, which is LP, we've used it several times, it has the advantage of being able to close the valve and turn it off. Over Thanksgiving, we used it for the first time with a bulk tank (i.e. 20# vs 1# canisters). It helped keep the chill at bay, until the wind cranked up and the temperature dove. (It was hot the first day, so we didn't put up our shelter with wind walls, or it would have been longer before we retreated to our respective campers on the last night.)

As I commented earlier, we camp in order to explore the outdoors. Depending on the trip, we may chose where we camp according to the hiking we want to accomplish, or we chose an area to explore and the research the options for day hiking and backpacking. For instance, our main trip this year is 2 weeks long, which we haven't done in 5 years. (We get more trips accomplished in 1 week chunks.) The eclipse was a great incentive to plan the trip around, including meeting up with some friends for part of the trip. First campground we plan to stay in is a section we'd like to explore a bit more (we stayed in the CG 10 years ago)- but more importantly, handy for DH to do a longer backpack than he did there on the last trip. His twin may even travel from Back East to backpack with him (not holding my breath that will happen). Then we'll move to Yellowstone, which we've only done as day driving trips from the Tetons. For that portion of the trip, we'll travel to view the eclipse, and spend the rest of the time sightseeing in Yellowstone, especially the section I have not seen at all. (They were doing major road work the last time we were in the region.) That will likely be shorter hikes that I can do, but we'll see when we get there. On the way home, we're stopping for two nights at one of our favorite campgrounds in CO, so DH can hike in the area, probably a 14er. His middle bother may join him for the day, since he lives in Denver. Sometimes the hiking is an excuse for the bothers to spend time together.

9. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Orchid,...Duece gear, 782 gear, military gear from the Marines. When discharged they could not find the 782 form that showed what was issued.I asked for a receipt for the gear, they refused to issue one,I'm not stupid said wasn't gonna turn stuff in till they find it,( they would charge for everything not on list.) .Somehow got released w/o form so Still use it. Some is canvas, some is the light weight stuff that resists mold mildew.( Hell, believe some was issued to my Dad during WW2).

10. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

DW and I have been hikers and backpackers for years (we're both just short of 40) - in fact it's why we started dating.

I've had similar discussions with my sister - she's fascinated by the fact that we like to hike and backpack. She doesn't understand the point - and I don't really know how to explain it to her.

"Ok, so, you've got all your gear on your back and it's heavy?"
    "Yeah"
    "And then you walk all day long?"
    "Yeah"
    "And what do you see when you walk?"
    "Tons of stuff"
    "And then you sleep on the ground?"
    "Yeah"
    "And is it comfortable?"
    "No, not really"
    "Do you get cold?"
    "Yeah"
    "And then you get up in the morning and what?"
    "Eat breakfast and walk some more"
    "I don't get it"

11. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

@kitphantom
    I've had seams in the asphalt grab a tire on my road bike and shoot me across the asphalt or a patch of sand send me sliding. Always seems to happen when you're looking over the shoulder to make a lane change and the next thing ya know gravity takes over! Now I ride my MTB to work and save the road bike for closed courses.

12. kitphantom

@CO hiker - the commuter (a Trek FX 3) is sort of in between his road bike and his MTB. He does take the road bike on the road where this last accident happened,as do many, it's one of the roads lots of bicyclists use to ride, even group training rides. It's still not always wonderful, in spite of the city's assertion that we're bike-friendly. He does remember seeing the parked car (which was to the right of the white line, on the shoulder, but not by much), knowing he had to go around it, the last thing he remembers is checking over his shoulder for traffic. Best guesses are either he misjudged distances, someone blew by too closely, or some such scenario.

He's had a couple of long hikes since the accident, though not a backpack. He says his knee tires more easily on hikes, we'll see how he does with a backpack later this year. We're not sure what his first trip will be, since he will decide which walk-in permit to request when we get to North Rim of Grand Canyon when we get there. He still wants to do an overnight to Nakoweep, but it was too hot last year when we were there Memorial day week (The back country rangers were happy to hear he wouldn't attempt it; they said the weather would have been OK the week before.)