Hiking Rookie

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cztardust, Sep 27, 2014.

1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I have to admit, I'm not exactly a hiking rookie, but it's been 20 years since I really hit the trails and am not exactly "fit."
    My brother and I headed out on one of the more challenging trails at Turkey Run state park and him being his typical energetic sportsman egged me on to keep going.
    On the trail we came across a waterfall we had to traverse up to continue and he turned to me and pointed out two elderly ladies coming off one of the adjacent trails and said "see you can do this Brent!" The two ladies past us and stopped and the one shouted from the far end. "You know we were 12 when we first got here!!!"

2. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I have done several hikes at Turkey Run over the years and most turn into more than I expected. I take a day pack for any hike I do there with a couple of Nalgenes for just that reason. I love the sense of humor of your fellow hikers. Head over to Shades SP for more good hiking trails.

3. Tinsu

Tinsu New Member

It's a great park and I have found those trails to be challenging too. What's the trail called where you climb down the ladders?

Can anyone report on the condition of Route 41, heading south to the Turkey Run? I want to head there from the Chicago area. A friend said that the south bound lanes were really bumpy last year. I think it was south of Attica, IN; but do not know for sure. Thanks. :)

4. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

There's a stretch of 41 just north of Boswell and south of the route 52 interchange that's being repaved that will have you swinging lanes a bit. But other than that no complaints here. Funny thing is that I don't ever remember not having construction around that interchange since I was a kid. We actually named the interchange "Under Construction Bridge."

5. Tinsu

Tinsu New Member

Thanks for the info. I was going to take I57 to avoid it and it would push me about 30 minutes out of the way. I will try. thanks.

6. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

You may want to look into geocaching. If nothing else the maps will show you some great trails, may take you to some unknown great places, and it's fun. I still don't think of myself as a hiker because I wouldn't be out in the woods without caching. Shoot a geocaching event started us camping in the first place.

7. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Haven't been there for years. Hiked there when our kids were small so we took things cautiously. I do remember the trails being slippery cause it had rained. Hoping to go next spring!

8. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Turkey run is a great park to hike and camp in. In my youth we used to go hiking and camping there often.

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We were just on 41 yesterday on our way home from Turkey Run and it was all pretty good as I recall. Best part was no traffic!