Hip replacement

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by gmajane, Jan 6, 2015.

1. gmajane

gmajane New Member

I am having a total hip replacement next week. I bought an old camper ( 86 Jayco Jay King 12) and my daughter who is very good with tools and such, is fixing it up. We will not be done with it, but plan to try it out in April (Maybe even March). I saw an earlier post on camping after a hip replacement and it was helpful. My daughter plans to put a handle on the side by the door to help me get in. What other advise do people have for me? Is there anyone on here who is camping after a total hip replacement? [PU] :)

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Yes, DW has had 6 Hips! and she still camps.

3. gmajane

gmajane New Member

WOW! 6! Are you still in a pop up? How does she get onto the bed?

4. ChocoChock01

5. mkennedy01

mkennedy01 New Member

ok so my DH has a warped sense of humor. Actually i had two hip replacements in 2005 and 2006 which were recalled by the manufacturer...so i just had both revised.

yes we are still in a pop up and i can move around just great. way better than i did before the original surgeries...so not to worry.

and i only need the hoist once in awhile but it looks a lot more like brian than the picture in the link from harbor freight :)

Maureen

6. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I would expect you to find that you have much better movement and much less pain after you have your surgery. Please follow what your Physical therapists advise and put in the work. It will be uncomfortable at times but the end result will be worth it.
    Good luck

Me the missus and three hooligans!
    2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
    2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
    2011 Honda Pilot

7. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I had a total hip replacement in Dec 2010 (slipped on the steps after freezing rain). I don't have any trouble with it. The only thing you have to consider is how quick you will recover. It took me a couple of months. You might want to check with your doctor.

8. ChocoChock01

including the original (2)!

9. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Yes there are handles to place near the door to assist with getting in and out. Just make sure any handle is secured properly. The side wall isn't very strong, so a handle there may not be strong enough. One person I worked with used a rope ladder secured to the table to pull on. Might also consider different steps if you have problems raising your leg high enough. Small steps made from 2" X 8" boards maybe. Getting in the bunk might also require a step, maybe a small footstool? Finally remember to bring a chair that's stable and high enough to get out of easily.
    Other than that just keep up with your therapy to get the leg stronger. I'm a retired Occupational Therapist, dealt with this kind of thing for years. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

10. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

slightly off topic - but following joint replacement remember to get an antibiotic premedication for dental procedures. [:D]

Any questions, ask your ortho [:D] [:D]
    {i'm a hygienist, still practicing}

11. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

DW just had her second hip replacement on January 7th. Within a week of the surgery, she said it was less painful getting in and out of our TV than it had been the day before the surgery. Her first his replacement on the other side was almost 7 years ago.

We were camping in our P'up up through Labor Day weekend last year. I put together a small intermediate step for her to use getting in and out of the trailer, and often offered her a hand to help steady her. From the progress she is already making, I expect she won't even need those by the time we take the P'up out for the first time this year.

12. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Good to hear. Keep up the hard work and the summer will be a breeze. Good Luck