Hippy Van

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jacrabbitt, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I'm looking for a late model 3/4 ton van to replace the PU. I was wondering if anybody tows with one? I really don't want to jump up to a 1 ton. But a 6 litre would be nice. I really don't care about fuel mileage too much as I only put about 7 K a year anymore and 75% of driving is around town. I'm leary about a Ford 4.6(maybe a bit weak) 4.8 is what I currently run w/342 gears which does the job. Somewhere in the future I might bump up to a 6k Dark sider. If you tow with afull size van would like to hear your opinion.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Not me, but did camp for years with a (large) family that pulled a 28+ ft trailer with a fill size window van. V8, IIRC, and never seemed to have any trouble.
    Good luck! (See ya in June!)

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Just curious as to why you don't want to go to a 1 ton van. There is very little difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Back in the day, we towed with our Chevy G20 van. It was the single most favorite vehicle of my life. 3/4 ton but would tow anything we put behind it.

5. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Suspension is heavier and sometimes some drive train components are different, and they ride like a truck when unloaded. if I was haulin full time, I'd opt for the 1 ton. A 3/4 ton platform is the best of both worlds. Better ride and better stability when haulin. The only beef I have with the 3/4 at least in the GM would be in the newer ones is 4.8 litre is the standard and it's darn near impossible to find one with a 5.3 or a 6 litre. Ford is 4.6 standard and the same to find a 5.4. IMO the 4.8 or the 4.6 is a tad weak when you start luggin a 6 or 7K TT around for any length of miles. Always nice to have coupla extra hamsters in the wheel. I'd gladly trade off unloaded fuel mileage for more power. I know the 6 litre is a big drinker around town. Most folks I know that have them get around 12. 16 hiway if they keep it under 70. Diesel is out for me. They don't like short 5 mile or less hops. the gassers are a little more forgiving. I could do a 4.8 if they coupled it to a 373 gear. But most are 342. Even now I run my PU in 3rd gear to pull the Hybrid, with a 342. Seems to be much happier, and manage to get 13 14 mpg @ 65. bout 80% of that is wind resistance though. The reason I want a Van is to throw the scooters and the hounds inside and be able haul more people too. Ain't a bad place to take a nappa if it gets to drunkie out at the beach.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I researched vans pretty well awhile back while toying with making a Class B. Ultimately decided it was more work than I wanted to get into. My recollection is that most makes can have significant payload capacity but towing capacity was limited to 5-7k. I was not looking for >5k capacity so I may have missed data on the better towers. My takeaway was that most reviews favored the Sprinter performance, handling, comfort, reliability, etc. as a platform.

7. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I hear from my son who's pushin 40.Sprinter.. can't say I'd want one for a daily driver. And I don't want to take a second mortgage out on the farm.Fixed income.and so tight I squeak. The boy has a 16 Tyota 4 door he likes pretty well. Not the full size. His
    3 kids is teenage and he's out growing it. he can pull the boat and his brood fine. But works the horse when he pulls the Hybrid and the troops and their stuff. 6 banger just ain't gettin it tow package N all.

8. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Cannot speak to the 3/4 tons, had a Ford E-350 15-passenger for a while, pulling a 36' Airstream. Yes, definitely rode like a truck but with the V8, never had any issues towing, etc. With two pre-teens and two dogs we are definitely pushing the minivan to its capacity when we take trips...

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member