Hissing propane

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by andosfauxtos, Nov 8, 2019.

1. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

When I turned the propane tank on last night there was a hissing sound and I could smell gas (outside the camper, not inside). I let it run for a bit to see if it would stop but it didn't, so I turned it off. After some research here on the portal, sounds like the regulator needs to be replaced. My setup appears to have two regulators. Should I replace both? I attached some photos.
    IMG_20191107_202106.jpg IMG_20191107_202151.jpg IMG_20191107_202117.jpg

2. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Sounds like a leak, but I'm not positive that proves the regulator is bad. Make a solution of soapy water and use a small paint brush to apply at all the connections. Find the bubbles and you'll know where its leaking from exactly.

nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

4. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

5. J Starsky

The second is a dead end? OR, where does it lead off towards?

I merely assumed you had two tanks...

6. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

It looks like the hose off that red regulator goes to the high pressure outdoor stove line (which I don't have or use). The other one looks like it feeds everything else (furnace, indoor stove, water heater).

Since I don't use the outdoor stove, I could just replace the other one, correct? Assuming it is a regulator leak that is.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I would find the source of the leak before swapping things out.

nineoaks2004, Sjm9911 and J Starsky like this.
  8. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

I definitely found the source of the leak. It's coming from here. I can hear and feel it.
    There's a cap on top that screws on. It seemed loose so I tightened it, but I could still hear and feel gas coming out. That is the regulator that goes to the outdoor stove.

Attached Files:

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It could even be something as simple as the hose not sitting correctly or tightly on the propane tank. Had this happen myself. Turned out when I was away from camp one day some kids were playing around under my bunkend. I suspect they loosened the hose or something. I thank gosh it was only a slight leak and nothing was lit/on when I was gone. Neighbor apparently chased the kids away but didn't realize they touched something until I was chasing down my leak.

10. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

Actually, it's coming from this small hole? Us this normal or an actual leak. It doesn't seem to stop ever.

Attached Files:

11. J Starsky

I would replace that single side and replum as you have it now. I assume that is the pressure release valve. I'd leave the outdoor stove hookup, because you'll never know what parts will come along next.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Could be a hose or the regulator. I had a similar issue earlier this year and it turned out to be a crack in the regulator where the hose connected. Had to replace the regulator which costed $40 and also included new hoses to the propane tanks..

But this issue also got me thinking about the exposed hoses and why it's a good idea why the propane tanks should be covered (UV and Road Debris).

13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Since you located the source of the hiss, I would definitely just replace the regulator. If you dont need the high pressure side then I would omit it. No need to have extra stuff you dont use flopping around

Raycfe likes this.
  14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I would. Your '99 Fleetwood Nevada is a Grand Tour model and as such came with 2 stoves - a permanently mounted indoor low pressure stove and a 2-burner high pressure outside stove. Propane tank output is first fed to that red high pressure regulator which reduces tank pressure to ~ 16 p.s.i. There's a T on the output of this regulator - one leg feeds a high pressure line that terminates on the curb side of your trailer with a 1"-20 threaded male fitting, the same fitting that's on a 16.4 oz propane canister. The outside stove has no regulators and is designed to run directly from this regulated high pressure feed. Back at the trailer tongue the second leg of that propane T feeds a low pressure regulator which reduces the pressure from ~ 16 p.s.i. to low pressure of ~ 0.5 p.s.i. or 11" water column. Everything inside the camper by code must run on low pressure, outside you can use what you want but if you are using that second high pressure stove you'll need the pressure coming from that curb side fitting to be feeding the correct regulated high pressure of ~ 16 p.s.i.

15. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

I don't have an outdoor stove for the high pressure feed and don't have plans to get one. That being the case, couldn't I replace the whole apparatus with just a low pressure regulator? I just wouldn't connect the line to the high pressure stove output.

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The downside to using a low pressure stove outside is lousy performance, ergo the reason Fleetwood chose to supply their Grand Tour series (including your Nevada) with 2 stoves - one low pressure, the other (regulated) high pressure. If you don't have the outside high pressure stove originally supplied with this camper then obviously you don't need that regulated high pressure feed on the campsite side of the camper to work.

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would do the replace both with low pressure. I had a fleetwood that had a low pressure on the outside. I use my low pressure quick disconnect outside connection for a grill. Just FYI most outside grills for home use are regulated to 11 IWC (low pressure). When people say high pressure, they are in reference to the normal regulator which is about 11 IWC (about 1/2 psi) and the "high pressure is about 22 IWC (about 1 psi). I think coleman started it with a marketing gimmick with "high pressure" I sure know my large grill at home with 5 burners and 11 iwc (low pressure) has why to much heat when they all all on full blast.

I had a hose after 10 years that started making a squeal sound. Replaced and it was corrected. I would do a bubble test to find the leak.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  18. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Just replace your regulators with a modern single 2 stage and be done with it. If possible have a lockdown done to insure you don't have any other leaks

20. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

Any thoughts on a good single 2 stage regulator to get? Also, what do you mean by"lockdown"?