Hitch extentions

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Byrd_Huntr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I have been considering that. I see a lot of Aliners with the spare mounted on the the side of the tongue. If I could move it, it makes the tongue a little heavy with a spare, two propane tanks, and a battery, but the TV has plenty of capacity for that.

If I had the hollow metal mounting tube for the spare cut off the bumper, then the bike rack would fit without an extension.

I could then further stabilize the entire rack and keep it from pitching side to side with a cable on each side hooked to the bumper.

2. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Mounting anything on that is something I would not do, and I don't care what the manufacturer intends. I am sure they never spec'd bikes on there - only "up to 125# mounted close" Why not tow a 125# tongue weight utility trailer behind? That should put the weight nice and close.............. [;)] Anyone should do what they feel is best. You are correct in thinking "it seems like a dumb design"

3. Byrd_Huntr

I went out to where the camper is stored and looked under it. No way to take a photo. The receiver is actually more robust than it looks in the stock photo. It is welded in 4 places: two on the bumper, and two behind those on the back frame. There is a 3/4" by 6" flat bar welded along the entire length on each side of the receiver tube. The weight I posted early on was an estimate, as my bikes are stored for the winter too. I'm going to weigh the bikes and rack, and if it comes in at or under 125#, I'm going for it. If it twists the frame, there will be a warranty claim. I'll keep everyone posted.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Are you going to move the spare tire so you don't have to have the 18" extension?

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I would not trust it. My dealer warned us against loading bikes on our rear bumper and our bumpers and frames are rated much higher than an Aliner's. Too much potential for frame damage, whether you see it at first or not.

6. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Just FYI, having just tried the bike rack on the back, you're going to dramatically change the tongue weight. I got into some pretty scary spots with sway...one almost ran me off the road. I'm likely changing my style of bike rack to something like this: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64955.html

7. smokincanuck

smokincanuck Member

The bumper rating on back of a camper IMHO is likely based on a fairly dead load right at/over the bumper e.g. a spare tire. I'm not a physicist or an engineer but I know enough to know than when you take a load and project it outward from the connection point loads increase a great deal. Add to that the constant bouncing of 3, or 4 bikes and the forces are incredible.

Hold a 25 lb. medicine ball with both hands in front of your chest. Pretty easy right? Now extend your arms out fully........feel the difference???? Now have your pal gently start pounding his fist downward on the same medicine ball.......think you'll keep it there very long? In our last PUP bikes were on the PUPs roof. On one our TTs (33') we had a custom built HD hitch built that was bolted under the trailer at 4 points through the I-beam frame rails to hold 4 bikes on a Swagman rack. It was substantial in it's construction.......much more than what's on the back of your A-Liner.

To the OP, I might put a cargo tray there with some light weight stuff like containers for your hoses, power cords, camping stuff, etc..... but no way I'd slide a hitch in there and trust it to hold the weight of my bikes bouncing up and down as I travel down the highway. Not to mention all that weight behind the trailer's axle will serve to "unload" your tongue weight possibly leading to sway issues.

8. Byrd_Huntr

Good advice here, I'm tossing out the idea. I still have the option to put a roof rack on my Trail Blazer for our two bikes.

9. TheLightningMan

TheLightningMan Member

Hello everyone

Was looking for an answer to this question and could not find it so I hope this is a good place to ask.

I am planning on installing a Swagman 2-inch RV Bumper Adapter http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Swagman-2-inch-RV-Bumper-Adaptor/4739655/product.html?cid=202290&kid=95] http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...daptor/4739655/product.html?cid=202290&kid=95

After researching it says it is designed to mount on top of the bumper not under. My spare tire is in the middle and will not allow this. So the BIG question is I was wondering if I can mount this off center. It will be for a Bike rack that will only carry one bike most of the time on a small 8 1/2 ' pup.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Bo

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

How about you move the spare tire up front, under the a frame (Mine is on my Avalon) then beef up the receiver by welding gussets and cross braces directly to the frame tubes. That would do it. Also, moving the tire up front offsets some tongue weight. Then all you have to do is make sure you load your equipment and supplies forward to help balance the load. Add a friction sway bar and you'll be in business. Also, if you have a fresh water tank forwatd of the axles, you can use it as a ballast to add more front weight. I'd skip the extension. They are really designed for a class 4 receiver like when running a cab over camper on a 3/4 ton p/u. But, with a bit of re-engineering, you can absolutely do the bike rack unless you have warranty concerns.

Good luck. Let us know what you do. I'd be interested. And don't forget photos.

J

11. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

That's exactly what i was thinking . maybe sit your cooler or lawn chairs etc. on it.