hitch for bike rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Josh L., Oct 15, 2018.

1. Josh L.

Josh L. New Member

I"m new to this and looking for ways to add a hitch to the back bumper for my bike rack. I haven't bought yet, but some that have the bumper, don't seem to have a full square bumper.. it's like just half.. or 2/3's... is there a way to add a hitch? I need something legit, because it will hold my $2,500 road bike (bicycle) when traveling for my triathlons... I don't want a roof rack mount, because I'll still need to bring my bike rack regardless so i'd rather just have hitch I can add one.. thanks in advance.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

If you have a c-rail bumper, it is never recommended to add any weight to it unless you reinforce the bumper.

I have been thinking about THIS for my bikes.

3. Josh L.

Josh L. New Member

C-rail makes perfect sense.. haha wasn't sure what to call it... well, how would I re-enforce it? added a plate or something? The rack only ways maybe 25 pounds, and my bike is full carbon fiber, so it ways less than 20 pounds for sure.. so to be safe, the hitch wouldn't carry more than 75 pounds ever...

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

There are other posts on the portal that talk about reinforcing the bumper, but you'll have to search for them. I've never done it but it has been addressed several times since I joined the Portal. If I remember correctly, you will have to run reinforcement to the frame.

The weight of the bike rack will outweigh your bike. I also have a carbon fiber bike, but zero in the amount of weight that is recommended for the c-rail.

Others are sure to respond before long. Be patient and you will have a bunch of suggestions.

Josh L. likes this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust my oldest pair of cycling shoes hanging from the back bumper of our pop up.
    Let alone any of my bicycles.
    Take a VERY close look at that bumper before you put your bike on it.

They make bolt on or clamp on hitches. I can't find it now but Tractor Supply sells them.
    You can also get the hitch tube, which could be fabricated into the bumper.

Josh L. likes this.
  6. Josh L.

Josh L. New Member

well, not i'm thinking about going a different route and getting a double receiver. like an over and under, but there is like a 6 inch spread between the 2. Maybe that would work.. then I could just leave it on year around and wouldn't have to mess with constantly moving around my bike rack...

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you are considering the dual hitch receiver please read up on it carefully. Some could reduce your tongue weight by as much as 50%. I personally just put my bike on the back of my trunk with a hatch back bike rack. I'm fortunate for mine that as long as I angle the bike enough it doesn't interfear with towing except on some very tight turns like parking the camper. So I just take off the bike before parking the camper.

Snow likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Some pop ups have roof rack rails. Then you just need the bike mount.

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i mounted a front receiver on my truck, then use a swagman rack to hold my 2 hybrid bikes. the handlebars do sit slightly above the hood line, but dont interfere with my vision. the headlights are partially covered, but i dont usually travel much like this after dark so it works good for me.

Josh L. likes this.
  10. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

This is exactly what I do, and the only issues I have are when parking the trailer, just as described.

11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

12. Josh L.

Josh L. New Member

Well I have to have a hitch mounted rack because I have a soft top jeep. I did see that some come with the cargo rack rails. I'm not really a fan, but I guess i would consider... not sure how hard they would be to add to a camper that didn't already have them installed... I guess I could consider a front mounted hitch, although, i'm pretty sure my bike would be in line of site, plus, it would catch all the head wind on the interstate with i'm not a fan of either...

13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

As stated, a dual hitch will greatly impact your tongue weight. Look into a bike rack like the one below. It clamps over the 2in draw bar. This doesn't extend the ball out like a dual hitch would, and also doesn't effect your towing capacity (with exception of lowering your tongue weight by the wight of the bike rack and your bikes). You just have to be careful with regards to clearance when turning or backing up

curt-bike-racks-18013-64_1000.jpg

14. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

This is the one we use. It works well!

Halford, Josh L. and Matt Benoit like this.
  15. Josh L.

Josh L. New Member

So this actually attached to the trailer correct? where did you find this? This may be the route I go..

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have what Matt Benoid has. It has been good to me and 3 bikes.

17. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

If I did not use dual hitch, then when I turn the tongue would bend bike tire. Dual hitch is good to use to raise the bike to keep bike tires from touching the tongue. click below and see what work with the Curt Clamp On Bike rack.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D210.html

WVhillbilly likes this.
  19. Whopper14

Whopper14 Member

We use the ProRac, very stable and trouble free. Use rachet straps to secure the bikes. The only down side is that the ProRac is a bit pricey, about $350 if I recall. I believe it is well worth it.

20. Lagman

Lagman Member

I got rid of the thin bumper back there. Then, I got some 2” x 4” 3/17” steel tube. I cut through the thin rim channel on the bottom of the box and welded a piece of tube right to the sides of main stringers. Let them hang out about 3” past the box. They were 2 x 4” as well. Try to size the same. Then I welded a 7’ length across them. I bought a receiver at the store, welded that and a couple gussets to reinforce it.
    Real solid now. It’s probably overkill but I didn’t want to chance it. I opted for a platform style rack because the hanger type just bounces to much. To offset the weight I added another lpg tank and battery to the tongue.
    Took a little thinking but it works great, tows excellent. I also put a receiver on the front but didn’t want to block the lights. I do put the basket up there though to carry other stuff.
    Might cost a few if you don’t own or know someone who owns a mig weld machine. I’ll post some better pics later.

Attached Files: