hitch mount bike rack + pop up solved!

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by ratcamp, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ratcamp

ratcamp Living Downriver, camping everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZ37OM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000CQOIR8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HQBYK5VX66APN5KFX23

Ran across one of these by accident the other day. Just got a NTU PUP and was not wanting to do a roof rack, didn't want to reinforce PUP bumper to haul bikes. Got this on order and can't wait to get it, and test it out. First trip is coming up soon. 5 days without bikes would kill my son! I've researched on this site, and never seen it before? Maybe i didn't search teh right thing.

2. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

As long as it's the right drop you should be good to go! That wouldn't work with my 1" drop.

3. tjeeper

tjeeper New Member

Some people have tried them. Worked for some, not for others. Biggest problem is interference between the bikes and what is on the front frame of the PUP, namely a center jack and propane tanks. Also be careful with the hitch weight. Take pictures if you can, I have been thinking about something similar.

4. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

A few people have said they have to unload the bikes before they back into a site to keep the bikes from interfering during tight turns.

5. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

If you have surge brakes it may not be high enough. Harbor Freight has one that is 2 recievers stacked with spacers. You can use a longer insert on the bottem to move the ball back further for clearance. You'll just have to double check your tounge weight.

6. ratcamp

[​IMG]

I'm putting a 4" ries on top of it to get it above my hitch coupler. Bike and carrier only weigh in at 60 pounds, and with a tongue weight of 280 on teh trailer i'm well within limits. I'm going to get it all hooked up this weekend and post pics of it connected. I don't really care if i have to remove the bikes for tight manouvers, they have to come off once i'm at camp either way.

7. ratcamp

Put a 6" rise on the top part and it should get things high enough to clear. Unless they don't make on with a 1" drop? They also make the extender one where it's just a male female receiver with the multi hitch on it. THen you could just slip your 1" drop into that.

8. rkrzyston

rkrzyston New Member

[V] This is a great idea in theory. I purchased the Curtis version and loaded up my trailer. I placed my 4 bike Thule carried in the upper receiver and noticied that the rack rubs on the safety latch on the tounge. Also 4 bikes are too large to fit. well OK they fit, but I couldn't make a decent turn. Was also concerned about total weight. the mountain bikes and kids full size bike we took are not light either.
    Finally placed a carrier that sits on the rear glass of my Honda Pilot and added 3 of the 4 bikes. Gave the 4th to a buddy who was traveling with us .

I've seen a few other systems like the ProRac... might go that way or actually DIY one for 5 bikes!

9. ratcamp

Guess i'm lucky. My bike rack sits on another receiver and a 2" ball holds the bracket to the receiver. So i can mount mine on any configuration drop/rise to get the height clearance. I'm not too worried about turn radius as my truck is the length of a bus and i am only using a 2 bike carrier. I'll post pics when i get it mocked up.

10. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

(sorry to Ratcamp for hijacking you thread) But.... I bought this bike rack (see pic) many years ago, from Craigslist. I did not own a pup at the time, but wanted it for my bikes. The lady who sold it, excitedly explained how you could tow with it, which meant nothing at the time! I would like to start using it while towing my pup - is it strong enough?

On the rack it states 'MAX TV 750lbs' MAX GW 7500lbs'
    I have a 2007 Fleetwood Westlake GVWR - 3000lb. I don't know about TW, not sure how to measure!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. dman2

dman2 Enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!

We were at a dealer this week and he said that the GVWR is not what to look for but the dry weight of the pup when it was built. To my amazement our tv Honda Ridgeline is rated at 5000 lbs and our pup gvwr is 2800 but the dry weight is 2200 with 600 extra to get to 2800.
    Confusion i know but with gvwr of 2800 this is pup axels rating. So my tv of 5000 capacity is overkill.

12. ratcamp

Good looking hitch, and is just fine for what you're doing. If all else fails, find a local truck stop that has a CAT scale and pay the 10 or so dollars they charge to weigh a trailer.

My guess is you are at way overkill if that bar is rated at that capacity. My car trailer with my car on it weighed in at over 5,500LBS. I don't see a pop up coming in anywhere near that. So hook it up, and enjoy!

No worries about a thread highjack.

13. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Thanks for the info on the CAT Scale, I might just do that!

14. rweber937

rweber937 New Member

Here is what we used for towing our 1999 Rockwood Premier 2307 with our 2010 Honda Honda Pilot

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-99591.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-bike-hitch-mount-bike-rack-98019.html

We turned the bike rack top backwards so it faced the vehicle and we still had clearance so the bikes did not touch the vehicle. When the bike rack top was in the normal direction away from the vehicle it would hit the trailer jack on turns.

[smg id=3755 type=preview align=center caption="Dual Hitch Towing Bike Rack"]

We took it for a short test run last night I still need to add length to the safety chain but other than that it went really well. We were able to make all turns and back it into the drive way with out any issues.

We are going camping with it this weekend should make the loading go a lot smoother.

15. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Did you have some pictures? I couldn't view it.

16. ratcamp

I don't liek the extender, too many points to rattle, and too much length in my opinion, but sometimes the only option. Here are the updated pics as promised. Sorry it took so long, had to get longer chains, and have been busy planning a wedding. Took this set up for a test run to Sterling State Park over the long weekend. Worked PERFECT, and i couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a pic from our first outting at Groveland Oaks County Park
    [​IMG]

17. ratcamp

Also i had to shorten and redrill the receiver for the bike rack. At full length it his all kinds of stuff. Pushed it all teh way in, redrilled hte hole and cut off excess and it's good to go. I can even make tight turns no problem.