Hitches - Tow Balls or Pintle and loop? Tire sidewalls ?

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by n6nvr, Jul 26, 2011.

1. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Seeing some of the more twisty pics and granted those are usually a small trailer, would you recommend a pintle hook and loop arrangement over a standard ball hitch. If you twist your ball out of the hitch you are going to be screwed. (Of course if you were a Boy Scout and are prepared, you should be able to rig something with your safety chains and baling wire to get out.

You don't need driving traction on your trailer tires, but you definitely need to protect the sidewalls and tread. Have any of you had problems with your tires, or do most of you run off-road suv tires for the protection.

2. tjeeper

tjeeper New Member

It depends on how difficult the terrain you plan on driving on. My 10RT came with a ball coupler, and I wouldn't think I would take it on a trail hard enough to pull the ball off the coupler. OTOH I have been on difficult trails with M416 trailer with a pintle. I remember one situation where the road crossed a steep gully and I had the trailer at about a 90 degree angle verticle to the vehicle. Obviously the ball coupler would not have survived that. But, using a pintle and lunette can also be a PITA. Every bump, every downhill, the trailer slams into the back of the TV. I would never use one with a PUP.

If you need more articulation than a standard ball coupler can give you I would suggest looking into an off road coupler like on Sierra 4x4's Max-Coupler http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/pricing/. The other one I have seen is from Australia from a company called CoupleMate, but I can't get the web page to load.

As for tires, I have always used off road tires.

3. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

I believe the Most versatile on road, off-road hitch is the Lock'N' Roll Coupler. We have had all kinds of Hitch/Receivers and I recommend the Lock 'N' Roll.

Lock 'N'Roll "Click Video"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]