Holly Point Campground, Falls Lake State Recreation Area Wake Forest/Raleigh

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
WAKE FOREST, NC-------Holly Point Campground, Falls Lake State Recreation Area
Holly Point Campground is one of four campgrounds within the Falls Lake Recreation Area is and one of two that can accommodate RV's, Fifth wheels, Pop Ups, Tear Drops and tent campers. It is located 11 miles from Wake Forest, 9 miles from Creedmoor, 15 miles from Durham and 12 miles from Raleigh. It would make a great base of operation for visiting any of these cities, however take note the gate is locked at 10:00 in the summer and 9:00 the rest of the year. The campground is also closed after Oct. 31 but the nearby Rollingview Campground is open all year with 24/7 access. Rollingview is about 10 miles closer to Durham, NC.
There are 162 sites in total scattered throughout 5 different loops. Approximately 74 of the sites have water and electricity and these are located in loops 1, 2, 3 and 5. Loop 2 has 22 sites without power or water. Loop 4 has app. 25 sites with no power or water. Loop 5 has app. 17 sites with no power and water.
Access to loop 1 was blocked so I can not comment on the suitability of sites 1-20.
In loop 2 I felt the best sites were sites 72, 73, 74 and 75. Second choices would be 28, 29, 52, 53. Additionally sites 57, 66 and 67 however they do not have water or electricity.
All of loop 3 is water and electric sites unfortunately none of these sites really were first choice sites for me. Sites 80, 83, 84 88, 89 91, 92, 93, 94, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 and 106 would be acceptable with 88-94 being the best of these given there proximity to the bath house/restrooms. 91 is a handicap site.
In loop 4 there is no power or electricity and therefore no sites here would be my first choice but 111, 116, 118, 119 and 133 would be good choices.
In loop 5 approximately half the sites have power and electricity and half do not. None of these sites were desirable for my camping needs.
Bathrooms are clean and the typical no privacy small showers with push button water which is lukewarm at best after running the water for at least 10 minutes.
Just a word of my criteria for "best sites". I have a Coleman Bayside Elite which is a bigger camper then some other popups. I also like some distance from other sites and/or vegetative screening. Many of the sites did not meet my approval due to size, closeness to other sites, lack of privacy or in some cases the sites are two level ie: the camper is on one pad and you have to go down stairs to get to the picnic table and fire pit area. Other campers will have other criteria. My views would be much different if I were tent camping for example.

catseye

all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance
Jul 11, 2014
Raleigh NC
This is my "Go To" CG for a quick getaway. I went to Loop 1 the first time, on site 10. It was like boondocking, could barely see any other sites from mine. that site was also lakefront. Very cool.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
Mine, too. Go to Holly Point frequently. It is closed for the winter, so I am going to Rolling View Friday night.

Glenn McIntosh

Aug 20, 2017
Love Holly Point. Was just there for the 3rd time in June 2017 and will be going back in October. Clean and well laid out if I do say so myself since I was the US Army Corps of Engineers Project Manager for the design and construction of this area in partnership with NC State Parks and Recreation