Holly Springs National Forest - Puskus Lake campground

Discussion in 'Mississippi' started by rsdata, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rsdata

rsdata Member

Natl Forest: Holly Springs, Puskus Lake Campground [PU] [TV]
    visited 10-2010
    closest services: Oxford, MS about 13 miles away
    closest Interstate: I-55 Batesville, MS exit about 40 miles away

How can you not love a place called Puskus Lake? [LOL] Oxford, MS is the home of Ole Miss University. We arrived on a Friday afternoon, prior to the Homecoming game on Saturday.

From Oxford, take Highway 7 north to Highway 30. Go east for approximately nine miles. Turn north on Forest Service Road 2089. This primitive campground is found at the end of a approx. 3 mi gravel road. At the end of the road, you will see a small but beautiful lake.

Puskus Lake Recreation Area is a remote area. If you do not like big crowds and do not need modern conveniences then this is the place to go as you will discover a really pleasant and quiet camping experience there.

The camp spots are mainly used for tent camping, although I found a number of spots that would accomodate my Livinlite QS8.1. Every camp spot had a fire ring and picnic table. The pit toilets are a long walk from the furthest camp spots.

Camping fees were very cheap, under $10 a night and is collected on an honor system. The campground was clean, and except for 2 other couples tent camping that weekend, it was deserted.

There is a ramp to launch a boat and several wood piers on the water to afford some fishing access from off the bank. [KK]

If I ever get back to that area, I would certainly go there again. [;)]