Home Depot "Grey Water" Tank (simple mod w/ pic)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by planac, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Kevin 11-RT

Kevin 11-RT New Member

I would think those buckets without a lid could cause a few issues other than pets drinking from it.

I would worry about knocking it over (not on purpose), it filling up with rain, perhaps the smell (food from sink) and other issues.

I think it is a great idea, but picking up a bucket with 40 pounds of water is a little harder that pulling (with wheels) a container with 100 pounds of water.

Thank you.

Kevin

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have not had any problem with my dog or any other critters trying to drink from my 5 gallon bucket.

3. planac

planac New Member

The bucket got it's first true workout last weekend- the dog wasn't the slightest bit interested, and the raccoons (we were in Devils Lake State Park in WI, known for bands of merry robbers of the ring tailed variety) didn't approach it either. Perhaps it's the suds- we wipe food out and throw it away, then use the sink for cleaning the final residue- the net effect is that the bucket got to about 90% full of water, with some suds on top, which was a good indicator to go empty it.

Having toted the 100 lbs of water in a nice wheeled tote, and carried the 40 lbs of water in the bucket- I'll take the bucket. The totes wheels get bogged down, and lugging it uphill (or stopping it going downhill) is no fun whatsoever. 100lbs of inertia is tough to control- and impossible for my kids to really help with.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I also use a "Homer" bucket but I don't bother with elaborate plumbing. I just cut a hole in the lid that is big enough in diameter to accept the end of the short drain hose that came with the trailer. (That hose has a female fitting on the end.) I insert the hose into the hole and once it's in, the extra space around it allows for venting. This is a small amount of extra space, so no problems with flies, etc. (Of course, my gray water is just hand and face washing stuff anyway.) I like the bucket much better than the 10-gallon blue, wheeled tote that I used originally. It is much easier to use. I dump it every night before bed.

5. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

We just put a short hose into a 5 gallon bucket. We don't use our sink for anything except hand washing, filling/rinsing the dog bowl, teeth brushing, etc. We don't wash dishes in our sink. Our dog or any other critter has never even looked at our bucket with wanting eyes.

No smell....no nothing.... we also just dump it in the woods...I know--shameful--but it is no different than what we did with dishpans in eons of tent camping. I think the hose is a fine way to go and creates no hassle or trouble.

I store my work gloves and wheel chocks inside the bucket just inside the door while stored/traveling. Just [2C]

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Did something similar. The only problem I have is I still have to "prime the pump" every once in a while to get the water to flow from the sink.

7. TACOMA03

TACOMA03 New Member

This seems to be a GREAT idea. I think I'll try something like this.

Thanks for the idea!

8. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

after finding the 7 gal aquatainer we bought was too tall to fit under the PUP we bought a $6 collapsible clear water container from Ozark Trail (5 gal)in the camping department at walmart.......when I opened the box I was pleased to find it was made by reliance.......the only downside is it has to be emptied daily after a load of dishes.......other than that, no complaints.......just another option.......all fine ones listed above........SCmomma

9. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

"Someone" [;)] forgot to pack the hose extension fo rthe grey water output on our maiden voyage. (I blame the "did I pack everything" syndrome)

I did some quick thinking and voila!

[​IMG]

10. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

If you look, you can find an adaptor that will adapt a hose fitting to 3/4" pipe thread. That will make sure that you are leak free and everything goes together smooth as silk.

ROb

11. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Interesting set up, really clever. Ive been trying to figure out how to do somthing similar, but my sink drains right out the bottom of the camper. I wonder if its possible to find a shallow, rectangular tote of some sort to build a similar catch-all without having to buy one of the purpose built wheel totes.

12. Dman20002000

Dman20002000 New Member

Like the last post has anyone come up with a mod for pup that drains the grey water from the under carriage of the trailer? I would love to see pics of ideas that site members have used or created.
    Thanks

13. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

What about a flat storage box on top of a furniture dolly? Cut a hole in the top for the drain hose and voila!

Just don't forget to go out after dark to check on it. Soetimes set homemade ups get "knocked over" at night into the brush. [;)]

14. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Not to hijack the thread, but there is another cheap and effective alternative: the Aquatainer. It's around $8 at Wally World.

[​IMG]

Here's what you'll need:

[​IMG]

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Aquatainer
    [*]1/2" threaded MIP connector (the grey piece)
    [*]1/2" MIP to 3/4" female hose connector. NOTE: in the picture it shows a 1/2" MIP to 3/4" hose thread bushing, this was from a different mod. You can see the hose connector in a later picture

[*]plumber's putty
    [/list]

Attach the hose connector (instead of the bushing) to the connector:

[​IMG]

Put some plumber's putty on the cap:

[​IMG]

Bed the piece into the putty:

[​IMG]

On the underside of the cap, put some putty around the connector:

[​IMG]

Attach the threaded nut that came with the Aquatainer cap onto the connector and tighten it down into the putty:

[​IMG]

Replace the cap on the Aquatainer. Here's what it looks like with the correct hose adapter:

[​IMG]

Attach a small hose, and Viola! instant grey water tank that is easy to tote around and dump:

[​IMG]

15. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

I still want to get one of those way-to-expensive grey water tanks that the dealers sell. One with wheels and the glorified coat hanger that allows you to tow the thing to the grey water station.

But till then, my ghetto setup will hafta do.

At least this last trip I remembered to bring the drain hose. [LOL]

16. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

I agree that even the wheeled totes can be quite a bother to move around when full. I don't usually let it get full, so I can maneuver it around and get it hooked on to the T.V.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.