Home-made roof rack for Fleetwood E1

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bdhtx, Nov 4, 2016.

1. bdhtx

bdhtx New Member

Last night's trailer mod: home-made roof rack for Thule box. Found the bolts at Lowes, ground them down and they fit perfectly. Used 2" schedule 40 PVC, and I think this will work well, especially as there will only be chairs and light items in the box.

Used half a pool noodle to pad under the box

Attached Files:

2. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Looks like it will do what you want it to do, for now. I have found that the pipe will distort over time if it is held down by a thru bolt. The way you have it bolted, better check it often, it will likely get loose.
    The best way I have found to bolt PCV is use a curved washer, (like you have) and a short hard rubber hose that will just fit over the bolt. Jam the nut (with washer) down tight on the end of hose, compressing it. The compressed rubber will not let the nut shake loose. The large, bent washer lets the pipe keep it's shape.
    If your bolt is 3/8 inch, bend a 1/2 inch washer, use 3/8 inch fuel line, and a 5/16 washer. For the hole in top of pipe, use a hole saw, just large enough for your 9/16 socket, you don't have to put the bolts as close to the end of pipe.

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

For myself, using PVC in such a manner is scary, the product is simply not designed for such. It's designed as a raceway for water or if it was grey, conductors. I would certainly keep a sharp eye out on that one for if it ever came loose...ummm wow. If I were to use PVC I would at least use schedule 80 as 40 turns very brittle over time as exposed to sunlight. Or...maybe just get a real rack engineered for the use.

[​IMG]