Homemade Campers from the Past

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by Chloe, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Well, I was inspired by the thread with the photo of campers in the 1940's and thought maybe people would like to see some other photos like this. My aunt sent these to me a few years ago and they are all campers that her father (my grandfather, dad's side) built over the years. He fancied himself an inventor and entrepreneur. He owned various businesses over the years, the main one (that I knew about, but was before my time) being oil delivery. He never stopped inventing, though! When we bought our Aliner, I thought how my grandad would have loved seeing it. Sadly, he has been gone for over 20 yrs now. Anyhoo, here are some of his campers!

My aunt says: " These are some of the trailers / boats / campers grampa built thro the years........ Some look a little scary!!"

I'd have to agree with that last bit, haha. My grandparents were "Snow Birds" and would often drive a camper down to Florida from Ontario, Canada. I remember a photo of me as a baby and we all drove down in a very large Winnebago.

I'm going to start with the "High-Low". Here's what my aunt says about it:

"It cranked down to travel and cranked up to sleep and work in..... Actually, one year I drove out with Mom and Dad to Idaho to visit Dad's relatives. We all 3 slept in that 'beast'. I was curled up under gramma's bed. One night we had to get out of it and go into the camp ground laundry room for the night because the wind became so strong I thought I would become Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz....no kidding!!"

This is my "gramma" (Ruby Ellen, aka Nellie) stepping out. Sorry I don't have interior photos! I doubt it was very fancy inside, grandpa being somewhat of a minimalist and penny-pincher, hehe. (I say that with love!). I suspect this photo is from the 80’s because this is just how I remember her dressing.:
    img314.jpg

I don't have any details on the other photos, but here they are...

This is my grandpa, Elmer:
    Elmer built.jpg

Here is grandpa and his 3 kids. The boy is my dad.:
    img306.jpg

Honestly, I don't know what this one shows, lol. Is that some kind of paddle boat on the top of the car? Really, I would not be surprised if he built that. Yet another camper build towed behind. 1962!
    img310.jpg

My two aunts standing outside while my dad lurks inside... same trailer as shown above:
    img313.jpg

This looks like some home built truck campers. The home on the left is the one I grew up in, but had my grandpa's oil delivery business there before that:
    img318.jpg

I found one more... gosh my aunt there is wearing quite the scandalous belly-showing outfit for the time, lol. I'm surprised my grandmother (on the right) approved of that!
    img644.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane! :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Chloe likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Sweet mother of pearl! Those are nuts lol, glad you put 'em up, love seeing old homemade stuff...that looks almost like a sled on top of the car to maybe pull out on a frozen lake, maybe they poled it on the water, who knows...copies of those pics would be neat in that RV Museum...

Chloe likes this.
  4. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I will have to ask my aunt what that thing is. She did mention 'boat' in her email so it must go on water. I'll ask if she has more pics of it on the water... or maybe it sank, lol. Maybe I can get copies next time I'm home to visit.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, very cool . Thanks for sharing.

Chloe likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

So cool! Thank you for posting these for us to enjoy!

Chloe likes this.