Homemade Fire Starters - Does this look correct to you?

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by JeepMama, Mar 3, 2014.

1. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Get the makeup remover cotton pads that women use. There are two sizes. You can pick up them up at the dollar store real cheap. Dip them in wax, let dry and stack them up. This is what I use when backpacking. Takes up less space, stacks and is enough to get my fire started. Just spread an edge and light.

2. bildoo

bildoo New Member

I use cotton balls dipped in wax I made 200 of them last time. They work ok, sometimes I have to use 3-4 of them. When I am out of the ones I have I am going to make the egg carton ones with dryer lint.

3. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We use sawdust and melted wax in cardboard egg cartons. It is getting harder to find cardboard egg cartons though.

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

we buy new empty cardboard egg cartons at Tractor supply for .49 each. You might want to check some feed stores as well. Any one that sells stuff for farms or raising chickens should have them.

Sharon

5. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Ok, thank you. We'll try that.

6. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I think they look great. Mostly had to post cause I dint want to be at post 666 for to long.

7. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

LOL! I think you good to go now. LOL!

Sharon

8. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

So, I did this tonight myself. Took all of 15 (maybe) minutes to make them, though the egg cartons got kinda saturated with wax. Having available freezer space when you're done helps solidify them faster, and keeps more of the wax in the firestarters and off your countertop.

Total cost for the project was $2 for 18 firestarters.

[​IMG]

I tried one out just to see how well and how long they burned. I timed from the point that I first ignited the cardboard. As you can see, it was a pretty good flame. This was despite a fairly stiff breeze that kicked up now and then. After 15 minutes, I got bored, stopped timing, and extinguished it.

If I can't light a fire in 15 minutes with one of these, I should really rethink camping. [LOL]

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Around here eggs don't grow in paper cartons anymore, and I didn't want to just go out and buy egg cartons. But we had a bunch of mini cup cake paper cups in the cupboard. DS and I use the paper cups, dryer lint, some jute rope to act as a wick and the paper cups. They turned out great.

They worked so well, we did this method for making fire starters at Cub Scouts and now at Trail Life USA. Often, it's just use whatever you've got.

10. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Call me lazy, but all I do is buy a small bag of Kingsford Match-Light charcoal at the beginning of the camping season as my fire-starters. I keep it in the camper and use one briquette to start my fire. Yep, I just light one without any extra lighter fluid and it produces enough flame to get my fire going. I like easy stuff.

http://www.kingsford.com/products/details/kingsford-match-light-charcoal/

11. davej

davej New Member

^^^^^^^^^ Same here, and I have made life much simpler for quite a few other campers when asked about fire starting methods by sharing this simple tip. Plus I can use a few to jump start my regular charcoal for my DO or grill if needed.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

12. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

I haven't tried dryer lint. I think I will throw that in my next batch. Mine consist of all organic matter, saw dust, leaves wood chips. I have found that if I over do on the wax it leaks excess on the bottom of the cups. But if I pour in small amounts at a time to allow it to absorb and then cool I get less bottom wax leak. I try not to pay for new anything in my fire starter that's why I love egg cartons, old candles, and organic matter from the yard. [;)]

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Why remove the wicks? They burn too.

14. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

In boyscouts we did the same, but with sawdust sprinkled in. Another favorite one was this.
    Cut strips of cardboard 2 inches wide by about 1 foot long. Roll it up and place into a tuna can. Cover with wax and sawdust.
    We didn't like this as much cause you had to fish the can put later, but worked great as an emergency stove (with three rocks to make a stand)

15. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

I made a bunch of these just before our most recent trip. We were camped at Mustang Island State Park near Corpus Christi. They don't have fire pits there. You can only use the charcoal grills mounted on posts. Normally I use a chimney starter, but the way these grills are built makes it nearly impossible to get the coals out of the chimney and into the grill. I bought some lighter fluid to start the charcoal, but the winds were so high I couldn't get any of the lighters or matches I had to stay lit long enough to start the lighter fluid burning.

I took one of the egg carton starters and set it in the coals on top of a plain cotton ball. Then I used my flint and steel to ignite the cotton ball which lit the egg carton starter which lit the charcoal.

16. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

A little newspaper goes along way

17. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

I use the charcoal lighter fluid/propane torch method. Never have a problem getting the fire going. I do keep a bag of chainsaw shaving in the truck, but have never turned them into fire starters. I have a lot of respect for those who can start a fire with flint and steal, I need to practice my bush craft.

18. bjmcginnis

bjmcginnis Member

If you do they cotton balls or those round cotton make up remover pads cover whole thing in paraffin wax. When ready to use it simply pull apart a little so the wax starts cracking exposing cotton then light. I haven't made then personally but my survivalist friends use them. I've been making then out of tp rolls lint and dryer sheets. I might have the try the egg cartoon one soon

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We always just bring a section or two of newspaper. Ball it up, light it under a firewood "teepee", keep it fanned with a frisbee. Unless the wood is very wet, it lights right up.

Biggest issue with getting a fire going is oxygen, and the frisbee really helps in that department.

20. jonesclarinet

jonesclarinet Member

I make these all the time. I use leftover wax from candles, broken crayons from DD. I save my paper egg cartons (no problem getting them near me, I have 6 sitting in my pantry right now just waiting), save my dryer lint and when I have enough of everything (usually the wax takes the longest to save) I make them. Here are my tips:

1) cut the top of the carton off and put it under the egg cups, this helps catch the wax leaking though. Also do the pouring on top of several layers of newspaper. (we bring all the tops and newspaper with us and burn that too)

2) If you can't find paper egg cartons, use any small paper cups you can find. Paper cups like you sometimes get for condiments (aka ketchup cups - white paper cups with a rolled edge) come in various sizes and work well, paper 'bathroom' cups (like 3oz/5oz dixie cups) are great, and yes, cupcake papers as someone else suggested. I recommend using a disposable foil cupcake/muffin pan if going this route. The wax will go through the paper and get on the pan. I would also double/triple the papers, not use just 1.

3) You can use lint, sawdust, wood shavings, paper from your shredder, etc... My inlaws have a pellet stove and they 'sift' their pellets before using them to keep the dust down(?) and my FIL saves the pellet 'dust' for us and we use that when we have it. Basically the same as fine sawdust - but if you already have it and it is free - free is good!

As someone else said - yes, there are great fire starter options that you can purchase. The original idea of these was using things that you would otherwise throw away, and turn them into something useful. (Cartons, lint, old wax).