Homemade Gizmos

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by LifesAGrill, Jun 8, 2009.

1. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

I saw a thread a few months ago about how to make gizmos out of emergency blankets. Now with the new format, I can't find it. If anybody has made them, and could tell me what they used, that would be great. OR if someone has the link to the original post, that would be great too.

I looked at some emergency blakets at Wally World and they seem very thin and wondered if this the right source for them.

2. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We made some with the space blankets from Cabela's, They are really thick, and have the holes for the bungee cords.
    http://tiny.cc/yZqo6

Use come clips to hold on the sides, They work pretty good.

[​IMG]

As a note, I have full size bunks, one covers one end, so bigger would need 1 1/2 per end or 2.

Sharon

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We did the same as Sharon. Got our Space blankets from Cabellas, one for each full sized bunk end. We use binder clips to hold them in place. I do like Sharons idea of using bungee cords. I bet those really help in windy situations.

If you have larger than full size bunks you will need more that one per end.Some people use duct tape to hold them together. Some people have sewn them together also.

Either way they really do work.

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yes, the bungees really help with wind, We camp near the bay/ocean, as you can see behind the pup. So we put a small bungee at the top on each side, and wrap around the support arms. And one on each other end and attach to the bottom bunk bed.

In this pic was our first trip out, it didnt even have pinstripes or decals yet, lol. We used those colorful plastic clips I had on hand, but since that trip have picked up the black spring clips you use in offices. They are much stronger and cheaper. Get them in the office section at walmart.

Sharon

5. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

I have been using homemade covers for several years now. I bought my old ones at REI for $14 each. There is a guy on Ebay selling 'military suplus' ones that are new at a great price. I ordered some this weekend and will see what I get in a few days.

Here are the covers in action at the Outer Banks -

[​IMG]

As my old ones were beginning to age, I used three of them (cut one in half) and made some 'winter' blankets......they work well shiny-side-down -

[​IMG]

6. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    Whoever started this thread...Thank You! I have been looking EVERYWHERE for those darn solar blankets. I have one from a long time ago, and never saw them again! I just ordered 2 from Cabelas! Thanks again! [SUN]

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

And the reason for these is?????

My PUP pull outs have vinyl roofs, not canvas. Don't yours? I have had it up in the rain and nothing gets wet. The tops are white so I can't imagine heat/cooling. What is the purpose of these?

8. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Bill -

The shiny material in these blankets is similar to the 'space' reflective material that bounces back a huge percentage of the heat energy from the sun. These will keep the inside of your PUP much cooler in the summer - like 10-20 degrees. They also provide a layer of protection from tree sap, bugs, etc., and are a secondary layer from the rain!

While their effectiveness is not as much, when you flip them shiny-side-down, they do help some to reflect heat back into the camper in the wintertime.

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

The reason for these is.........

They help control the heat in side, so in the summer, you put the shinny side up, and it reflects the sun, so the pup stays about 20 degrees cooler.

In the winter, turn the shinny side down, to help warm the pup about 20 degrees.

We used them the first time, and noticed the differance on the second day we put them up.
    Sharon

10. cerumen

cerumen New Member

We used these for our first trip this weekend and could definitely tell the difference in warmth from our Camp Driveway trip a week prior. The only difference in our situation was using the blankets. The driveway camping trip was chilly to say the least and we were bundled up even more. With the blankets and a single layer of clothes it was toasty warm!

Ordering two more to make side flaps for the non-vinyl part of our bunk ends.

11. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

thanks for the replies. I now know to look for space blankets instead of the emergency blankets

wishicouldgo-- you are welcome thats what the forum is for

12. rcjsmom

rcjsmom New Member

I have home made ones as well. has anyone experienced rain with them? How did yours endure? We had a really heavy downpour over memorial day and the reflective material has separated from the outer layer in some spots. So now it sounds like crinkled wax paper. I only had one end made at that time, so the others are still fine. I'm not sure it was the rain, but not sure what else it would be.

For construction, I added additional grommet holes so I could connect cords in the middle as well. My king end takes 1.5 blankets, but I used 2 full ones and just let it hang over a little bit. On the queen end, it could take more than one, but It's only 6-8", so I just left it with 1. And i use one for over the slide-out dinette. It's a little long too, but it provides a little bit of an awning over the window since it hangs out a little. I bought mine online at vitacost.com for about $10 each.

13. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

How do you attach more than one blanket together? I have kings on both ends, so it looks like I will need 3 blankets to make the 2 end covers. As for putting them together, foil duck tape? Or just regular duck tape? Or do you sew them together?

14. dupreet

dupreet New Member

The ones I got from REI, made by MPI Products have held up well. I began to notice a little breakdown after 3-odd years of use. I can't say I can attribute any problems to rain.

I just bought some off Ebay. They are a military surplus deal. They feel a little thinner than the original ones, but I hope they wear as well.....we will see.

Lifes.....I sewed some of mine together last fall. Since they were beginning to wear out, I took the two I had been using, and cut a third in half. I wanted to make a 'flap' to go down the front of the bunkend....see photos earlier in the thread. I used a standard sewing machine with some Dual Duty or other heavy duty thread. In making them larger and flat, I would sew them with a few inch overlap and run a bead of Shoe Goo or GOOP down each 'flap' to adhear it to the main fabric. I would hesitate in using any tape on them.

15. cerumen

cerumen New Member

Just wanted to add that the REI ones sew very easily on a regular sewing machine. I bought 4 and sewed 2 together for almost total coverage of each bunk end. We have had an unusually cold and very wet summer here and these have DEFINITELY been worth the investment. The PUP has almost been too warm at night when used shiny side down. In the same temperatures without them we needed more layers and heat.