Homemade Kayak Rack for Popup

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by michgancamp1, Jun 6, 2010.

1. michgancamp1

michgancamp1 New Member

I'm looking for some ideas for a cheap homemade kayak rack for the camper. This is the idea I have, (2) 2x4x8 1 - across the front and 1 - across the back, eyebolts to carry 2 kayaks = 8 eyebolts, then an eyebolt on each 2x4 to anchor the 2x4 to the bottom of the camper = 4 more eyebolts, anchor each kayak to the rack, then anchor the kayaks to the front and back. Anyone use PVC? Any thoughts, ideas, etc... BTW, both kayaks are 12' long.

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Why not just foam like a canoe rack?Run a strap across the yaks and secure them to the frame.Saves weight,protects both the boats and the camper and isn't permanent.

3. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I've seen threads where they have been done with PVC. I never cared for using foam blocks w/plastic kayaks as it seems you need to tighten down the boat so much to keep the block in place that the plastic temporarily dents.

4. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Get four pungee cords (long) and two LARGE (thick) pool noodles two long lengths of rope. Run length of rope thru poole noodle, tie LOOPS on each end at the very end of the pool noodles, then attach one pungee cord to each loop on the rope. The other end of bungee goes to the bottom of the pup on the frame. Throw some straps over the yaks and rope for the bow and stern lines and attach to front and read of pup. Cheap as you can get, and works great. Pool noodles are just for keeping the yaks from rubbing on the roof and supporting the weight. The straps are for holding down the yaks from side-to-side adn the bow and stern lines for keeping the yaks from going forward or backwards.

JJ

5. HopnNC

HopnNC New Member

I use the foam Riverside blocks and 2 ratchet straps. Just be careful to not over-tighten the straps! 200 miles and kayak didn't budge...

6. HopnNC

HopnNC New Member

[​IMG]

7. oconnor

oconnor TreeSqueak

My concern with lashing the kayak right on top of the roof would be roof sag in the long term. My PUP really doesn't need any extra pressure in the center of the roof, but my kayak is 13 feet, so I cant load it supported just at the roof edges (front and back). I too would like some sort of rack that transfers the weight to the sides.

Any ideas?

8. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Thule or Yakima rack system. visit their sites.

JJ