Homemade Truck Bed Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by danpayne, Mar 27, 2012.

1. danpayne

danpayne Member

I just finished my version of the bike rack that jthomas124169 made and posted in this forum on June 11, 2008. My version of his rack mounts to the top of my truck bed, while his mounts to the top of a camper, but I loved the upright holders he made to hold the bike with both upright. The base of my rack is made of aluminum channel and square tubing, but the upright holders are basically the same as his. I'm really glad he showed everybody his design, or I would probably still be trying to figure out how to hold the bikes onto my rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the aluminum for my rack came from a store in a nearby city that sells all types of aluminum that was obtained from the aircraft industry. They sell it all by the pound, for the going per/pound rate of aluminum, so it is much cheaper to buy from them rather than from any home improvement store. The total weight of the square supports and the angle rails was about 30 pounds, and came to about $80.

To hold the rack to my truck bed, I used turnbuckles and cable. A guy at work showed me how to make the loops at the ends of the cable.

You can view more pics of the completed bike rack on my photobucket link (the camera under my user name).

2. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

Great job on the rack.