Homemade Vanity/Paper Towel rack

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by Ub3r, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Ub3r

Ub3r New Member

Howdy Folks,

I grew up camping in my Dad's Coleman pop-up (dont recall the model) and loved it. I later inherited a 96 Dutchmen, 1204 "Classic". One thing I really missed was the old Coleman haging vanity, with a mirror, paper towel holder and a small shelf.

My Dutchmen has the ceiling support bars for an air conditioner. It currently has a swamp cooler, but that's another story/project for another time. I'll be hanging the vanity from the ends of the support bars that have handy holes already there. This will put it next to the sink.

After searching for something pre-built, I didn't see many options out there that would work for me. I also did not wan't to tap any holes in my ceiling like the newer fold away Coleman vanity does. So...I built my own. DISCLAIMER: I'm not carpenter and it's for camping, so I didn't need it to be perfect, just functional.

I used

It's about 32"x14" over all. I waned the wood to go past the metal hooks so they dont bend during storage/transport. I will hang it with plant hanging chains. The bottom hook is for a small bungee cord to minimize sway. I'll mount another ring in the trailer to hook onto once I pick the spot.

20201110_092541.png 20201110_092708.png 20201110_111355.png 20201110_111410.png

I'm going camping this week, I'll try to remember to get an "action shot" with the trailer set up.
    HAPPY CAMPING Y'ALL!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

Very nice. Fleetwood/Coleman installed one like it in our camper that folds onto the ceiling when we put the top down, are you doing something similar with yours?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. flingwing1969

The "mirror" on the Coleman Vanity Mate is not very good - kind of a fun-house mirror.

4. Ub3r

Ub3r New Member

As of right now, I don't intend to permenantly mount it. I'll just hang it up as part of setup. They do have square mirrors at crafts shops. Probably be easy to epoxy a real mirror over that one.

flingwing1969 and Rempop like this.
  5. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

A vanity is a cool idea - maybe I’ll build one for my jayco—one that sits neatly in the counter and rises up, as I too don’t want to put holes in my ceiling! I also have zero ways to hang it as far as I can tell.

6. TRR

TRR Active Member

On mine I replaced the funhouse mirror with a real glass mirror. Bought a cheap full length mirror for about 5 bucks and had piece cut off the end to fit. I used this because the glass was thin enough to fit the slot whereas a regular mirror was too thick.

Sjm9911 and flingwing1969 like this.
  7. flingwing1969

Great idea! I would actually try this but I have given up using mirrors since I reached the 70's. That way I can still delude myself into believing I'm still 22. It kind of works for me, no more scary old face looking back at me in the morning since I now shave in the shower by feel. [LOL]

Ub3r and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We have the Coleman one. It's useless as installed in our camper. It's over the couch (not near kitchen) and it's too high for 3 out of 4 family members to use. :) And yes the mirror is funky.

This would definitely be an upgrade!