Honda Odyssey Honda Hitch

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by zpache1872, Aug 19, 2021.

1. zpache1872

zpache1872 New Member

All,

I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey (2WD) and have been thinking about adding a hitch so I can occasionally tow my Coleman Roanoke. Currently, I'm towing it with a 2006 2WD Hyundai Santa Fe. The Santa Fe does ok but I'm the only driver in the family, we live in a very walkable town, and I don't need two vehicles.

I received a quote of $1940 from Honda to install their tow package including labor.

The question I have is whether the Honda will be a decent tow vehicle for the pop-up with the package installed? The van has less than 50,000 miles so while in some ways I'd like to opt for a newer vehicle with better capacity, I only tow the pop-up occasionally and I hate to give up a vehicle with such low mileage without good reason.

Any thoughts on suitability, or the quote from Honda, would be appreciated.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Personally I'd stick with the Santa Fe..

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We have no idea what you are planning to tow. That's required information for any good return info.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  4. Phil O'Regan

Phil O'Regan New Member

While I don't have an Odyssey, I do have a Honda Cr-V. I would start by researching the Odyssey forums (odyclub is a good place to start). They tend to sag when loaded, so many owners add air bags or air shocks. There's several suppliers of hitches; the one sold by the Honda dealer is almost certainly much more expensive than the others. You'll need a good transmission cooler, and I'd have the transmission filter and the fluid (ALL of it) changed with the Honda-brand fluid (Honda transmission are peculiar and require Honda fluid; folks might tell you otherwise but you won't be saving that much money buying non-Honda fluid). And consider upgrading your brakes with a better pad and maybe a better rotor. I would research the forums, find what's most recommended, price out those items, and get a quote from an independent mechanic and compare it to the Honda dealer's quote.

For my 2012 Cr-V, I installed a Curt hitch, upgraded the brakes with PowerStop ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors, added an aftermarket transmission cooler, and drained/filled the fluid three times to get it all flushed out, and replaced the trans filter.

And definitely research your trailer's weight and the Ody's towing AND cargo capacity. Lots of threads on this forum about how to do that.

5. zpache1872

zpache1872 New Member

Coleman Roanoke - 1995, glossy brochure says its just under 1000 lbs. IIRC the Honda manual says the Odyssey is rated for 3000 lbs.

6. zpache1872

zpache1872 New Member

Thanks for the good info. Since the vehicles are 12 and 15 years old now, part of me thinks I should sell them both, find a late-model used SUV that comes with a tow package, and call it a day.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The santa fe has a week tow rating also, is probably a wash as far as preformance. Newer tv is always good. Have fun be safe.

8. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

Your Odyssey will tow it easily.

I assume it just has a flat four connector (no electric trailer brakes, no 12V charge from tow vehicle)?

If you decide to keep the Odyssey, and if the Honda tow package is the complete towing package (hitch, flat four wiring, transmission cooler, power steering cooler, and I believe your year also calls for an air duct/dam) installed for $1940 I'd say go the that route. If that price is for the hitch only I'd say it is very expensive.

IIRC Honda says under 1000 pounds towing you can get away without the coolers, so if this is occasional short distance towing on mostly flats with not too many people (or stuff) in the van you could save some money and just order an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness. Install yourself or use a local mechanic. Note the aftermarket hitches all hang down for your generation Odyssey, while the OEM Honda one is hidden behind the bumper trim - keep this in mind if ground clearance or aesthetics matters to you. E-trailer has a good list of options with reviews/pictures/installation videos.

If you find the van squats too much Timbrens are available: https://timbren.com/i-30497835-timbren-ses-suspension-enhancement-system-sku-hrod2-rear-kit.html (also available from E-trailer).

But that is a fair bit of money/work to put into an older vehicle. But if you like it and it has low mileage then it might be worth it. Can't help you with that decision, other than to say my 2019 Odyssey has been great.

Edit: spelling

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. zpache1872

zpache1872 New Member

TSQ - I'm right at the edge of that weight recommendation. Pop-up is probably 1200 lbs with the stuff I have tucked inside, and although there's only me and two 12 year olds, we would be up to 1500 lbs total with gear, etc. The camping sites around here would require towing in the mountains as well, so probably best to go with the full package. Yes - that total was for all the parts you listed plus labor. Looking at KBB for the Odyssey, the value selling to private party would be around $10000, so it is a significant investment. Of course, selling the Hyundai would likely pay for the upgrade and the Timbrens if needed.

One thing about the Odyssey, for the price point I'd be willing to go on a new vehicle, I wouldn't be getting an SUV with the same cargo space for sure. It has been a good vehicle with no problems. As sjm9911 pointed out, the Santa Fe is no great hauler either, so the Odyssey with the package would easily be the better of the two.

10. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

You can get much better versions of all those parts for a lot less money, and install them yourself. The only Genuine Honda parts in my towing package are the constant-tension clamps for the transmission cooler hoses.

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Get a hitch from etrailer and install it yourself, it is very easy. It is what I have on my '07 Ody (yours will be the same). The four pin towing harness is plug and play, very easy to install yourself. If you are handy, it is not very hard to install an aftermarket tranny cooler. I wouldn't waste any money on the Ody OEM tranny cooler, it is not very good at all. Depending upon your tongue weight, you may want airbags. I just installed the airlift ones, which again are pretty easy to install for the Ody. The '09 Ody has the upgraded tranny that is like the Pilot, they are quite durable. So, if you are handy, for about $350, you can install the hitch, air bags, towing harness and the tranny cooler if desired. If you are towing in the mountains, learn to downshift while going down hill.

Your van could easily last another 8+ years at which point you would probably be reassessing camping and the camper and so on. The minivan is very handy for towing and for hauling all sorts of other stuff including passengers of course. I have been towing for years with an Ody, and for a camper as light as yours is, it will be a piece of cake towing with the Ody.

One last thing on the hitch install is that you will need to clean your the existing threads on the captured bolts on the frame and should chase them with a tap first. Actually, cleaning and chasing them with a tap will take you longer than installing the hitch itself.

McSkippy likes this.
  12. jtrav

jtrav New Member

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that I bought used. It came with the factory tow package installed already (hitch, transmission cooler, power steering cooler). The benefit of the OEM hitch is that it tucks up under the rear bumper cover and the receiver comes out just below the bumper cover. Many aftermarket hitches for the Odyssey can be seen below the bumper cover and the receiver is lower, but the price is much cheaper. Personal choice.

In addition to the Honda factory tow package I have the Timbrens ($250 CDN) installed within the rear coil springs, and I use a Pro Series RB2 weight distribution hitch ($365 CDN). I also have a Tekonsha brake controller ($350 CDN installed price) with a 7 pin wiring connector for trailer brakes.

I've been towing this setup for well over 10,000 km. The longest haul we did was 16 hours straight which included some hilly terrain and no issues with overheating. Rear sag is minimized with Timbrens and WDH.

Your trailer is lighter so you may not need all the equipment that I have.

The loaded tongue weight of my trailer is 330 lb. I weighed it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  13. Jo Jones

Jo Jones New Member

You should read the post more closely. He says Coleman Roanoke.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

It was probably edited after I posted. Look at the post you quoted. There's a sting of periods now. See how easy that is.

15. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

Nice set up! I like the garbage can mod you added to front of the trailer :p

TSQ and jtrav like this.
  16. Sherronlee

Sherronlee Member

When we bought our first Coleman Bayside trailer, we bought a new Honda Odyssey to tow it with. We did buy it with a factory installed tow package. We were usually 2 adults, 2 kids & a large dog. I am also someone who packs everything & the kitchen sink, so we were probably always overweight. We used this combination till 2011, then upgraded to a Honda Ridgeline. We never had any trouble with it and have travelled from one end of Canada to the other.