Honda Odyssey tow package

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by CampingCubFan, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Actually you CAN on Hondas. The towing capacity is based on adding these exact parts. Checking the right box on the window sticker isn’t required for the Odyssey since all of the parts are available as a dealer (or otherwise) installed option.

Pg 405 of the 2010 Odyssey owners manual:

C652927A-1B44-4CD5-BE52-947F88152FAF.jpeg

Pg 407 specifically states that the coolers may be added to achieve these ratings

A0BDEA70-CB52-4376-A2D7-7735075F5A40.png

Genuine Honda hitch
    https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~hitch~trailer~08l92-shj-100.html

Genuine Honda tranny cooler
    https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cooler~kit~06255-rgl-305.html

Genuine Honda wiring harness
    https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~wire~harness~trailer~08l91-shj-100a.html

Genuine Honda power steering cooler
    https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cooler~power~steering~53765-shj-325.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Dry weight is industry standard, not MY idea. Nobody can predict what a loaded trailer's gross weight will be.

But since you think you can, perhaps you should let the OP know how much their loaded trailer will weigh. That will save them the 12 bucks it costs to have DOT weigh it for them.

You should also contact the decision makers for the RV industry to let them know they're doing it wrong.

Putting you back on ignore now. Really a shame a mutual respect agreement was declined. Oh well, it is was it is.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yeah you can.. as I have said from the get go.. use the GVWR found on the stickers.. better yet would be the as shipped weight but not all trailers have this listed or the unloaded weight and the CCC ...

I did multiple times.. Use the trailers GVWR to determine if your vehicle can tow the trailer.. This still means a trip to the scales to know how much your setup weights, but if the TW, GVWR fall within your vehicles numbers.. you should be good ..

They have been told, why do you think that for several years now they have had to start listing the Unloaded Weight (UW)and the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and a few manufactures go as far as listing the as shipped weight too.

No problem, enjoy your solitude like North Korea..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

It still means nothing by itself. One number does not provide enough information for the OP (or anyone else) to make a decision.

One needs to consider the dry weight, gvwr, ccc, rear axle gwr, payload and tongue weight in combination.

The gvwr may be within your vehicle's limit, but the ccc may be too low for your needs. The gvwr may be within your vehicle's limit, but the rear axle may be overloaded. The gvwr may be above your vehicle's limit, but you may never meet that weight and remain within the limit fully loaded. The gvwr may be within your vehicle's limit, but the payload may not be enough to carry your family, gear and tongue weight of the trailer.

OP - identify your camper's gvwr, dry weight, loaded weight and tongue weight (when loaded) Then look up the payload and towing capacity of the vehicle you are considering. Then weigh your family and gear.

Then, subtract the family/gear weight from the vehicle's payload. What you have left is available for the trailer's tongue weight. If the tongue weight is more, then the vehicle is not sufficient for the trailer. If so, then you need something with a bigger payload.

If it is within the payload limits, then compare your trailer's loaded weight against the vehicle's towing capacity. If it is above the limits, then you need more towing capacity.

If it is within the towing capacity, then take the fully loaded set to the scales and check the weight on the rear axle. If above the rear axle gwr, then you need something with more.

If all those are good, and it felt comfortable when you drove to the scales, then it's the right vehicle. If any of the above is overweight or it felt sluggish, etc., when driving, then keep looking for another vehicle.

PaThacker and Orchid like this.
  5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The only way to add an OEM tow package would be to sit down with the factory parts manual and compare every single part on the vehicle. The fact that a dealer sells tow package components does not indicate that every other part is the same.

Like I said, spring ratings can be different, brakes can be different, wiring harness, alternator, etc.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

There is nothing on the tow package on the Odys that can't be added after the fact. There isn't much to it as noted. There aren't other parts that are changed on the van, it is just a few simple add ons. They don't make special versions of this van from the factory for towing - there is nothing to debate about that.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just to add, there are lots of people on this forum that tow pups with Odyssey vans. It seems to be the most common mini-van used as a tow vehicle.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

“These coolers are available only from your Honda dealer.” That is the totality of the tow package, in addition to the hitch and wiring, of course.

As for better alternator, engine cooling, etc, most minivans already have those since they are designed for heavy duty use. Kids aren't gentle on things. Just think how times a day each power sliding door and tailgate are opened and closed.

765C7C35-0CE6-475D-9AD9-233173AE273E.png

For some vehicles you are correct, but not all. It takes research on each specific vehicle. No generalization is ever 100% accurate.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can try to add thicker radiator, engine cooler, transmission cooler, tow button, sway control, and a few things. Sometimes something expensive keeps you in peace of mind. I learned from experience that avoiding factory tow package would not help. With factory tow package, you would keep the TV for a long time as long as you keep up with maintenance.

10. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

We
    We had the OEM towing package. The hitch fits better than the aftermarket stuff as I have read. Not sure how much they charged for that. It was a no haggle deal from Cardinal Honda, Connecticut. I guess you can call them and find out the cost.

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

It’s a dry way post that could give a newbie a suggestion that a crv, equinox, rav 4, juke, golf tdi et al. Could tow. Some with no clue that they have a belt transmission and could not tow period. I don’t even know my dry weight. I figure it’s a at gvw and would never tow a 3500 gvw pup with anything less than 5000 pounds tow rating. Not a weight police notion just teaching moment. I have 2 daughters on a school bus that could be endangered due to beginners with non existent tow rating

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dude, calm it down a bit, you got all worked up because she posted her dry weight. It looked like she was just trying to help, not start an argument. If you really want to teach, just post the facts and let them speak for themselves. No need to make it personal.

Orchid likes this.
  13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Facts: pups require tow vehicle to carry gear people. Coolers filled with food, water cases, dry goods, and passenger weight. Combine all weights and deduct tow rating. 3500lb pup has 450 pound tongue weight. Exceed max tongue weight ie 100 pounds over could impact steering.

When I go boondocking. I fill entire storage capacity of pup and load truck with 1000 pounds of gear. It’s heavy combo rolling at 13,000 pounds.

14. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Well, back on the OP topic. We tow with a 2014 Ody and installed the tranny cooler, hitch and wiring myself, the basic wiring was plug-n-play with the right adapter kit. Tranny cooler (plenty of youtube videos on how to do it) took an hour and half. Hitch is quick and easy, I understand the factory hitch will be higher (they cut a hole in the bumper whereas the third party sits below the bumper, not a big deal for us, never scraped the hitch).

Biggest headache was running the 12V charging wire for the 7-pin plug, had to run up to the battery and wire it in with an in-line fuse. We do not have electric brakes so I don't know how PNP ready the van is for a controller or if there are wires in the back to just hook up.

We also installed the timbren helper springs on the rear which significantly helps with body roll and keeping the van level front to back.

Tows very well and never had any issues or anytime where we felt unsafe.

LucythePUP and Orchid like this.
  15. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I am also towing with a 2011 Ody. I had an aftermarket hitch and the tru-cool tranny cooler installed.

I do like the factory hitch better as ny_rocking_chairs mentioned, it is higher. The way mine is set up, the 7-pin connector has scrapped a few times.

I find it easy to tow with. Its great to have a van for the majority of the year where we are not camping.

Orchid likes this.