Honey Bear Boone, NC

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by BillyMc, Aug 7, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I have a reservation at Honey Bear near Boone, NC for Labor Day weekend. Planning to go to the kite festival in nearby Beech Mountain. We went to the festival a few years ago and the grandkids had fun. Grabbed one of very few site left. It has good reviews when I searched for sites, but can't find a review here. Opinions from anyone that's been there welcome. I'll update this with my experience when we get back.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Any time you can spend family is a great time as every day Camping is a new adventure. Have a safe and great trip. Good Luck ad Happy Camping

BillyMc likes this.
  3. BillyMc

Small campground with friendly staff. We stayed on B-18 and the site was roomy enough for the PUP with screen room deployed, TV, and instant shelter over picnic table. The site is set to park parallel to the road with water and electric hook ups. The electric had 20amp (worked), 30amp (worked), and 50amp (not tested). There was only a 30amp and 20amp breaker in the box, so if the 50amp has power I don't know if it's really 50amp. There is more of a grade than I would have liked. Side to side is not bad, but I had to block up the axle about 3" to be able to raise the front of the PUP with the rear stabs down. Then I had to put wood blocks under the front jack and stabs so they would reach the ground. Had friendly tent campers next to us on B-17 (much more level site). There is only one bath house and there is a creek between it and B loop. There are two foot bridges over the creek, but we opted to use the road as one was shaky and the other had a large mud hole at one end. The bath house works fine, but is in need of renovation. The smaller kids enjoyed the playground although it is also in need of some renovation. The drama queen teen liked the on site coffee house (Shot in the Dark) with free WiFi (not guaranteed) and occasional "hot guy" walking in. There is a fishing pond with a fountain. I saw a few kids fishing, but didn't see any fish. The camp store doesn't have a lot, but what they have isn't terribly marked up. You can charge your purchases to your site and settle up at check out. We got one bundle of wood, couple candy bars for the boys, a coffee for the DQ, 4 pack of metal roasting sticks, and a bottle of fire starter (short on time and I needed that fire blazing quick). Our total for purchases at check out was $18 and some change. Location is great being on the edge of Boone, NC. It is a short commute to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Blowing Rock, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, and Grandfather Mountain to name a few. They have planned activities for the kids including movie night, but we didn't do any of them as our time was already filled. I did check for TV stations, but didn't find any with my cheapo antenna.

megcabra likes this.
  4. BillyMc

Tried to book a site here again for Labor Day 2019 back in May, but the CG was completely booked [:(]. DW and I decided to stay closer to home this year.

5. BillyMc

Got an email that there will be a price increase in 2020, but if booked now I could get 2019 prices. We have our site the level B-17 next to the site we had in 2018. DQT will be in collage and may or may not come, I'm betting not. If she doesn't I thinking she may be babysitting her brothers while DW and I have an anniversary weekend alone for a change, hasn't happened in nearly five years.

6. BillyMc

Well didn't happen again this year. DQT way too busy with her friends to do something like sit with her brother for a few day.

The campgrounds are about the same, one of the double swings was broken. and the bath house still could use an update. Thursday night less than half filled, but Friday the place was full. Staff was still great, coffee house was to go only due to corona. Buying stuff from the store was easy, just text your site number and what you need and it soon arrives via golf cart. Purchases are charged to your site and you settle up at check out.