Hooked up my popup for the first time

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by GreenEnvy22, Feb 26, 2016.

1. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Member

I finished the wiring for the trailer hitch yesterday, so hooked up the popup to our Escape today and did a test drive. Seemed to handle well. Definitely notice the extra weight accelerating onto the highway, but once upto speed it was fine. Also felt easy to pull at low speeds.

Our first trip probably won't be until may or June, lots of work to do on the PUP.

We bought this popup in January, found out it was 2000lbs empty, not 1500lbs, which necessitated buying a new (to us) vehicle for towing, hence the escape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Isn't if funny how your pup dictates the other aspects of your life.......

Congratulation on your new to you purchases. I can guarantee you have invested wisely. It is a nice looking couple.........

3. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

Very nice! I know you are not the only one who's pup dictated the purchase of a TV. Someone may have bought a Pup when they still owned a Honda Accord. Sometimes the cart does indeed come before the horse.

4. Scottbaldwin01

Scottbaldwin01 New Member

Do you know what the tow rating is on your Escape? We have a 2008 Mariner (basically the same rig) and the only tow rating I found for it said 1500 lbs. Which is why we went with the Fleetwood Taos.

5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Looks good!!

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the 2007 Ford Escape is rated at 3500lbs with factory installed towing package

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

But if the OP had to do wiring to hook up the PUP, wouldn't that have been included in the factory tow package? Why would it have been left out if the tow package was already in place?

GreenEnvy22, what wiring are you specifically talking about?

8. Redbird

Redbird Member

Here's some towing information about Escapes. I had to research this myself when figuring out what my own vehicle would be able to tow.

Whether towing is recommended with an Escape or not depends on what kind of Escape you have. The Ford Escape that is factory-equipped with a tow package (3.0L V6 engine) and is AWD has the highest GCWR. The maximum loaded trailer weight for the 3.0L V6 Escape with the tow package is 3,500 lbs. I don't believe the other versions of the Escape are recommended for towing, at least by Ford. There's a helpful chart that breaks it down on the link I posted above.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

NEVER EVER use the dry weight of the trailer.. it is fictitious.. nobody ever camps with a dry trailer..

10. Scottbaldwin01

Scottbaldwin01 New Member

So it looks like the tow rating I found was for the four cylinder...could have gotten a bigger trailer I guess.[emoji20]

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

He may have had a factory installed wiring package for a 4 flat and he may have rewired to a 7 pin Bargman. My GMC Sierra had a factory tow package but it came with a 4 flat. Had to rewire for a 7 pin bargman.

12. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I do it quite a bit, 3 times a year to be exactl But when DW is camping with us guys then the world is a total different story!!!! lol!!!

However, I agree, for most cases you need to add other weights.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You camp with nothing extra loaded inside the trailer and tow it with no awning, no propane tank(s), no battery, in many cases no spare tire, no water in the tank .. and remove all and any optional equipment ??? (This is a dry weighted trailer) ..

14. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Member

The 2009 + Escapes with the 3.0 V6 all have a factory transmission cooler. All the factory tow kit consisted of was a hitch and the wiring.
    I installed a flat 4 hookup, and have an adapter to goto a 7 pin, which is what the trailer has. No brakes on the trailer so I don't know why it has a 7 pin.
    The V6 will tow 3500 lbs.

I want to do a transmission fluid change on our Escape since I have no idea if this is still factory fluid in it. When I do that I'll also add in a second cooler for the $40 it costs.

15. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

for exception of the spare tire, yes sir. when we go fishing our trips are all included, all we bring is our butts so there is no cooking and other stuff. My coleman does not have any extra equipment. If it is a cold month then we take propane and a battery.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Then you sir are the only person I know who camps with a dry weight trailer ...

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Some of us treat them like glorified tents... 'Cept when the princes is aboard...

18. Haybale

No blankets, camping gear, nothing but original equipment in the up? Do you just pull everything out for the couple trips a year?

19. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Good grief. Enough with the nit picking.

20. Haybale

It is just hard to believe...