Hooking up to electric at the campground

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Toni Arnold, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold New Member

I'm taking my 1988 Starcraft Astrolite to a campground that has electric hookups for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm going solo. I basically know nothing about this.
    Can someone please help me with what I need as far as adaptors and such?
    The hookup on my pup is a standard 3 prong plug with a ground but it looks like the campground electric box has different types of plugs.
    I appreciate any help and thank you.
    Toni

1380ken likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The electric box at the campground will have up to three different plugs: a 50 amp, a 30 amp, and a 20 amp. The 30 and 50 amp plugs will be round and will resemble the 220 plug your see on a dryer or a stove. You don't need to worry about those. There will be a regular 3 prong plug (the 20 amp) that you can plug your camper into. You won't need any adaptors.

theseus and kcsa75 like this.
  3. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I would check with the campground to confirm they have a 15 or 20 amp receptacle on the pole. There is a couple of camp sites around here that have 30A only on the pole.

You can buy a 15A to 30A adapter that I would recommend you have on hand, never know when you will show up at a site with a 30A only receptacle or a 15A receptacle that does not work.

hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. O'ville

O'ville Active Member

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just an FYI .. When referencing plug adapters, the male end is always first to avoid confusion.. So she may want to pick up a 30A to 15A adapter.

Fless likes this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Here is what a typical camp ground Electric panel looks like...

[​IMG]
    Googlie image

What you want to look out for is burn marks around the plug you want to plug into... If the 30A Receptacle looks like the photo below it may damage your 30A Plug and will have to be replaced...

[​IMG]
    google image

This might burn up your 30A Plug and it will look like this and will have to be replaced...
    [​IMG]
    google image

The 30A is the most popular connection and will get the most ware and tear...

Don't be thinking you can't ask for assistance from any of the RV'ers there... The RV group will bend over backwards to help you out for sure...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

1380ken likes this.
  7. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold New Member

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies, it's appreciated.
    I will contact the campground to find out what amps they supply.
    I will also pick up an adaptor. In doing some reading, I know I have to make sure the breakers are off before I plug in.
    I've taken my pup out two times since I got her but it's been dry camping only. Looking forward to having some power.
    Toni

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

9. O'ville

O'ville Active Member

Hmmmmm never had any issues with my puck type adapter. But just an FYI Toni. The one on the Amazon link above is not the one you need. You need the opposite. You need the 15amp female if I'm reading your post correctly.

10. Toedtoes

Yeah, I just linked to the first dogbone style I found didn't look at the ends. Here's the 15 female: https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Dogb...teway&sprefix=15+to+30+dogbone,aps,212&sr=8-9

I have experienced an overheated puck before. And I've know folks who have and have read of even more. For the difference in price, the dogbone is a much better choice. As an extra it is also easier to connect and disconnect a dogbone than a puck.

11. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold New Member

I think I need the 30A male -15A female?
    The campground is 30 amps and the outlet on my pup is a standard 3 prong ground type. When I bought it, the guy just plugged it in to his garage outlet to show me that the power worked. Thanks for the help!

12. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold New Member

Thats the one I was going to order. I saw one with a "handle" on it, does that matter or is this one in your link easy to plug in?
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

13. Toedtoes

Personal preference. The handle is nice for folks who have arthritis, etc., as it's easier to grip (it came in handy when I broke my hand last year).

14. O'ville

O'ville Active Member

Thanks for this info...... I'm new to this camping thing also and had no idea the puck style could be dangerous. The guy I bought it from gave me the puck style. I went and bought the dogbone style today. Got it at Walmart for under $20.

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

When connecting at the campground, cut the breaker off feeding the receptacle, plug in. then cut the breaker back on. Do the same when disconnecting. Cut breaker off, then unplug. This prevents arcing at the plug prongs, which is damaging to plug prongs and receptacle contacts.

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with the puck type adapter. I can see people trying to run more off the line , so using the adapter to go to 20 amp and running the limit or more. That might scorch it a bit. I have the original one from the po and the one i use is a newer 5 $ type.

17. Toedtoes

I know there are folks who have never had a problem with a puck style. But it's similar to most safety issues - just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If you are buying an adapter, it makes sense to spend $5 more and get the dogbone style. It's a minimal cost for a better quality product.

O'ville likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Its just an adaptor, no more saftey in one thats longer unless its better built, and it probably isn't. The problem i see is if its overloaded or not pushed in entirely. The latter is probably more prone to failure. Like a loose plug in a wall. Money isnt the issue. I think its more on the quality of the product and knowing its limitations and correct usage.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Forgot to mention the old trick, if the plug is loose in the hook up, bend the prongs on the adaptor out slightly so it fits tight in the outlet. In a perfect world it would fit tight but we know how some of the campsite hook ups are. This will eliminate arching caused by worn out outlets.

20. Toedtoes

I disagree. The puck style can heat up more than the dogbone style due to close proximity of the line and load sides of the adapter. You will read about puck style adapters overheating often. I have yet to here of a dogbone overheating.