Hooking up to electric at the campground

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Toni Arnold, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill agree , i here about them overhearing. Just never experienced it. If it dosent draw the volts , it shouldn't overheat. ( unless the manufacturing is bad) I cant see how it would overheat without what i said , excessive draw, or a bad conection. I just dont see it happening. Something else caused the heat up. Appliances will only draw what there capable of. Many people dont know this and will overdraw a circuit. Or it will arc because it was loose. Thats my personal, and professional opinion. I dont see a problem with the puck style, and use it and have had it hooked up for weeks in my own yard.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If you are putting a light load on it, then it is probably going to be OK. But the dogbone will better handle a larger load. Also, if the puck overheats, it is more likely to damage your shore power plug due to the proximity.

And for the difference in price, it makes more sense to buy the one that will handle a larger load. Especially if you will be using an AC, microwave, etc.overheats

I'm not saying that everyone should throw out their puck if it is working for them. But if you are buying an adapter, the dogbone is the better choice.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Ok , i give ! Lol. I think either is good. Just know the limitations.

PointyCamper likes this.
  4. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers New Member

Chiming in to say I will be watching the heat levels on my puck, thanks for bringing it up! We have just done one boondock overnight so far, so I have not experimented with shore power configurations yet.

Welcome to the forum @Toni Arnold, I'm new-ish too and have found these folks to be super helpful.

5. Camper054

Camper054 Member

Me newbie as well as I am getting ready for my first trip with the camper. If the 30amp socket at the campsite looks like it is 'damaged' and can potentially damage my camper plug, then maybe it is better to take my extension cord and plug it in the 120v and use my dogbone adapter to connect to the camper? Anyone sees anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks!
    MC

6. Sjm9911

Mostly , you will only have 20 amp power, so no ac, of your running other stuff. Check the plug at the pole, most are good just a bit worn out.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Ask to move to another site.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Last year I was camping at French Creek SP and had a problem with the 30 plug. Maintenance actually came and replaced it . So let them know. Ymmv.

Camper054 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Use your 30amp camper cord and use an adapter at the pedestal end to plug into the 20amp plug. This way you will have the higher rated cord for the greatest distance.

As others indicated, this will limit your power. You may be able to run your AC, but won't be able to run other appliances at the same time.

10. Camper054

Camper054 Member

Thanks for the comments and cautionary notes. I like the idea of having the campground folks 'fix' it. :). Just came back from our 'first' trip and the sockets looked good - so no workaround needed, at least this time.

Thanks so much - happy camping you all-
    MC