Hot water critical?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MJinCP, Sep 5, 2014.

1. MJinCP

MJinCP New Member

Hello! Looking to buy our first PUP (used), and I've come across one that is in good shape and seems to fit our mission. Only question in my mind is that it does not have a water heater. I have always thought that this is a deal breaker. Now, I'm having second thoughts. I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you!

2. mandl

mandl Member

Hello,

If you are going to take showers, sounds important! If you are using the hot water to do dishes, heats up fine on the stove, campfire or in my case a Coleman dual fuel stove.

mandl

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't have a shower and no water heater. We also don't have a water tank. We heat water on one of the stoves as needed for dishes. Others use a coffee urn to heat water if they are camping with power.
    You'll have to use your best judgement as to which items outweigh others to find the best pup for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

If the unit does not have a shower most don't come with a water heater. If the PUP is priced right but a water heater is a must have for you then it is a cheap mod you can do yourself assuming it does have a holding tank.

Personally I've never had the need for one but camp in modern campgrounds.

5. AndyG

AndyG New Member

Our pop up didn't have one, so we bought an Eccotemp portable tankless water heater. It runs on propane. You can use it with a regular shower head, but I ended up plumbing it into the camper. It was a little work, but it was less expensive than adding a normal one, and it had the added benefit of never running out of hot water. There is a thread somewhere where someone else did the same thing and posted pics.

6. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We always stay at parks that have heated showers and flush toliets. Other than doing dishes no need for hot water. We heat the water up in a pot on the coleman stove. We thought about getting an outdoor shower and hotwater heater added to our current PUP... but they wanted $1,100. We said too exp.

7. Strut

Strut Member

I'd only say its critical if you plan on boondocking away from facilities. I have one in my PUP, and I don't bother firing it up to wash dishes. Its much quicker to heat up a pan of water on the stove. I keep mine drained and bypassed unless I'm boondocking. Since its installed in my front storage compartment, it adds quite a bit of tongue weight, especially when full.

8. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

My PUP has no hot water heater or shower/bath. I picked up a 2 roon shower tent to go with the porta potty I have. I picked up a coleman portable water heater with accessories for shower.

Thats my solution for the PUP and for power failures at the house.

Jerry in MA

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I suppose that if the pup I was looking at already had one, I'd still buy it but it's not at all a "mission critical" component and I wouldn't add one.

We don't cook or wash dishes in the pup, reserving the indoor sink primarily for hand washing, filling the dog's water dish and brushing teeth.

Since we wash dishes outside, that's where we want the hot water. To solve this problem, I built portable field sinks and use an EccoTemp L5 instant shower to provide on-demand hot water. Yeah, there's the time it takes for setup and takedown, yes you have to store it and yes, you need a 12v pump to power it when boondocking but you really can't beat the convenience. Other than replacing two C cell batteries every other year, there's very little maintenance required.

Do what you want, but this thing works slicker n' chicken snot.

Here is the rig all set up for boondocking (though we now use a 15 gallon drum for fresh water):

[​IMG]

Here's the mod thread showing how it's all put together: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=67998.msg640044#msg640044

And here's the tank adapter that lets you run the pup and the water heater (or a BBQ) at once:

[​IMG]
    Adapter mod is here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552.msg682635

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We don't have one. If you don't have a shower, it's really overkill.

11. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

Not for me. The sink is small to do dishes anyway so I use an electric skillet with the higher sides. It's my main cooking source most of the time, so fill it with water and soap, put it on 200 for less than 5 min for dishes.

12. daveman

daveman Member

Ours came with the hot water Heater and outdoor shower.....we fire up the heater once in the spring and then bypass it for the season. Truthfully if it wasn't built in as part of the new Starcraft we bought I wouldn't miss it :)

13. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I had 2 pups, one without, one with. I didn't miss it on the one without and never used it in 4 years on the one with. Mine actually took up part of the front storage compartment, a significant part of it that I would have rather used for better uses.

14. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I could not live without hot water. It makes washing things like dishes, hands, ect so nice.

15. Sterman

Sterman Member

I agree with Jayco. On demand hot water is a nice luxury when camping. I never use hookups and always fire mine up so I have hot water for hand/face washing and washing/rinsing dishes.

16. davido

davido Active Member

I camped for almost 40 years without a pup and survived heating water in pots over backpacking stoves or camp stoves. So a water heater is not critical to your survival, or even to basic comfort.

But usually people by pups for increased comfort over tent camping. And to that end, hot water is a welcomed luxury. I became a believer the first time I got to shower while camping in a no-frills campground.

17. gopherit

gopherit New Member

Hot water is a luxury. I can go a long time with just heating water on the stove. Having my mom who grew up with no running water helped, taught us how to wash hair in the sink and all that. There is a Coleman hot water on demand powered by propane.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have camped without hot water heater till. Bought a Niagara. I'm spoiled now

19. Ludercrous

Ludercrous Member

Tent camped all my life and have done just fine with heating up all water on a propane stove. (Did it this way for an entire year of camping once as a kid!) We've rarely camped anywhere with hookups of any kind, or the means to utilize them. I also have no problem with being out in the boonies for a week without a shower, as long as the others I'm sharing the adventure with are all in the same (sticky) boat. Swimming helps. ;-) So the answer to your question from my perspective is a hot water heater is absolutely not critical!

However... this has been our second summer of our family of four camping in our Fleetwood high wall. Other than the sleeping comfortably off the ground, having hot water available all the time with just the turn of a faucet is by far my favorite feature of all the bells and whistles of the pop up. We still have not used the shower, but having hot water already there for dishes is very nice, and made easier by having a two basin sink. The best part is being able to wash my hands with warm soap and water whenever I want!

I find the water heater quick and simple to light and it is one of the first tasks I do on setting up camp, with hot water available shortly after. Since we have one, I can't imagine not bothering to use it!

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We don't cook or do dishes in the PUP. I heat water in my elec. coffee percolator. The only reason I could see for a water heater would be if we had a shower, which we don't.