Hot water for dish washing?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Andy G., May 5, 2019.

1. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Our pup doesn't have a water heater, so we've been washing the dishes with cold water and detergent in the tiny single sink. Kind of a pain. This season, I think I'll just heat a pot of water on the stove. How do you folks without water heaters do it?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't wash dishes.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I personally wash my dishes in a washtub outside on the picnic table. When I cook dinner I boil a pot of water at the same time. Usually by the time dinner is done the water is cool enough to not burn but still warm. One wash tub of warm water and a rinse under cold water. Because I cook outside I might as well clean. I then just pour the tub in my gray water container directly. No worries about food crumbs clogging your sink etc. My weekend trips I usually just use my sink as it's usually only one night of dishes.

fronsm, PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have a HW heater but I use the coffee maker to heat water for dish washing (if you have electric) it is faster than heating a pot of water on the stove.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have a Coleman Hot Water on Demand. Works well, we have have a trailer trailer for 7 yrs now since we traded in the pup and it has a electric and propane water tank. Still use the Coleman from time to time.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Both my current campers have water heaters, but my first TT 's had a split in the tank. I just heated water on the stove as needed. Didn't take long or require any special gear or even cost any money.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We boil water when we don't have a water heater. One of those coffee thermos dispenser pump pot things is great to hold hot water for face washing, dish washing, cocoa if it hasn't been too long, etc.

8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We picked up a 100 cup coffee maker at a yard sale a few years ago. We keep it outside on a table full of water and turned on. It was nice to have almost 5 gallons of hot water on demand.

9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We put on a tea kettle of water as we start eating. It usually starts whistling halfway through the meal, and we shut it off. It's still more than plenty hot by the time for the need to do dishes, and we just mix it in with cold water from the sink.

Econ likes this.
  10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Until we got our TT with a water heater, we boiled water for dishes in a large pot on the stove, then added cold water as needed. When we took the TT while it was winterized, we reverted to that method. We have used small dishpans for many years, since tent camping days. Even now, we don't actually wash dishes in the sink, since we need wash and rinse water. (The tiny sinks in our two pups were not useful, so we removed them.)
    I like the idea of a coffee urn for hot water, if one camps with power, but we seldom have it.
    For most meals, the small RV dishpans are large enough. When we did group trips, and had large pots, we just wiped them out well with paper towels, then heated water in them to clean each one.
    They also make a dish drainer that fits into the pan for travel. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Mini...gateway&sprefix=camco+dish+pan,aps,197&sr=8-3

11. BedHead

BedHead Member

In 50+ years of camping I have never had a hot water heater. When we bought the pup we had the one it came with disconnected because the concept is foreign to me. We use a big pot to boil water, pour that over the dishes in the dish pan, then add cold as needed. Rinse is in a second basin using cold, or maybe some warm water from our solar water bag if we have some. Water for showers and washing faces or hair also comes from the solar bag or from boiling if there’s no campground showers.

Econ likes this.
  12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We do just like some others mention above. We put the coffee pot on the stove, full of water when we finish making dinner. It is done before or by the time we finish eating. Most of the hot water goes into the wash pan (along with some cold) and the rest in the rinse pan (also along with some cold). After the dog does the pre-rinse, we wash the dishes, table, stove... and we are all set. It only takes us about 10 minutes total after eating to clean up everything and all ready for the next round. Depending upon what we have for each meal, we may not necessarily wash dishes after every meal (for example, if we only use bowls for a meal, we might just leave them and get them later after dinner). We have a hot water heater, but have disconnected all the water in our camper and don't use any of it. We also are rarely connected to elec. so we just heat on the stove.

13. JenyPleeson

JenyPleeson New Member

Why don't you install a hot water dispenser? You just get tired of constantly heating the water in the pot. I often had problems with water, as there was a construction site nearby. The water could be cold for weeks, and sometimes the water was turned off altogether. Then my wife and I bought a hot water dispenser. However, my wife also wanted to purchase alkaline water pitchers. Just how she went to diligentchef.com, then she started asking me to buy everything she saw. But I let her take the essentials since we already had most of the stuff.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 5:54 AM
  14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Not sure who you are addressing on a 2 year old thread.

15. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Yes, its two years old, but I'm still here. Since this post, we just started heating a pot of water on the stove or campfire. Easy peasy.
    Andy

16. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I have a water heater, and find that one of the best features of my PUP. However, I camped for decades without the luxury of a popup trailer or a water heater. And for those years, I would just heat a pot of water as we ate our dinner. You have to use it sparingly, but it works fine. It doesn't really matter whether the source of hot water is a big pot on the stove or a faucet; either way the dishes will get clean. It's just a matter of convenience.

Occasionally, backpacking, it may be impractical to carry enough fuel to heat a pot of water for cleaning. In such cases, a strong biodegradable dish soap will do the trick unless you've cooked something really greasy, which is unlikely if you're backpacking.

17. AndreD

AndreD Member

If my kids are helping. Old scout 3 bin system (1-water, 2-water and bit of bleach,3- water and soap).
    If myself just 2 bin leave no trace system.

portable wash bins from the dollar store are stackable and work perfect. Never done my dishes in the trailer. Always heated the water up on the stove or fire too