Hot water heater

Jul 10, 2022
Youngstown Oh
We have a 1995 Jayco 1207kb pop up. The old water heater was split, so I found the same one on Home Depot. Well, not exactly the same, it's an electronic ignition.
If we don't hook up the wires at all, can we still use it?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I don't remember seeing RV water heaters at the local Home Depot or Lowe's. Did you find an RV one or a small home unit?
You need either a pilot light or an electric ignition (DSI, direct spark ignition), unless you're going all electric, which doesn't seem to be the case.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
And if says nothing about electronic ignition, or show the box.
You have to order it, it's not in store
Is it the replacement part number for your heater? From a listing on Amazon, it looks like there may be different ones. The Camping World site wasn't much help, too much to sift through. (Here's one: )
Do you have a local Jayco or other RV dealer or trailer supply company to double check your info?

Everett Bartlett

Aug 2, 2020
Southern Nevada
If it is like the Suburban WH, it will not work with out power to it, you will not be able to light it manually. If the tank is the same as the old one, you can possibly remove all the old system, and transfer to the new one.

Jul 10, 2022
Youngstown Oh
Is it the replacement part number for your heater? From a listing on Amazon, it looks like there may be different ones. The Camping World site wasn't much help, too much to sift through. (Here's one: )
Do you have a local Jayco or other RV dealer or trailer supply company to double check your info?

Nope, we've gone there before, they only deal with newer models

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
(DSI is pretty great. If you're handy enough to replace the WH, you're handy enough to wire it. And you'll be pleased you did.)

Jul 10, 2022
Youngstown Oh
I would look at a small tankless unit first..
What I can't explain to him, because I don't know myself, is how to hook it into the water.
I see it has blue and red hook ups, so I gather the same as any water hook up?
The one I like can't be inside unless you've got adequate ventilation. What would be adequate?
I know we just totally switched gears, here lol

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Look for a small propane house unit.. a point of use type, should be big enough for a trailer, they have them sized to run a washing machine in off grid/rual houses..

Blue is cold water in, red is hot water out..

Jul 10, 2022
Youngstown Oh
Look for a small propane house unit.. a point of use type, should be big enough for a trailer, they have them sized to run a washing machine in off grid/rual houses..

Blue is cold water in, red is hot water out..
Thank you, definitely easier than putting the old parts in the new wh.