Hot Water Tank vs Tankless Water Heater

rslaback

Jul 21, 2012
My Jayco 12SO didn't come with a water heater or a pump. I modified it with a pump first and then put in an on demand heater the year after that (and replaced it the following year after I let it freeze).

To install an on demand you are going to need two separate plug ins. When we camp we have to pick out a site with a 30amp 110v for the camper and a 50amp 220v for the water heater. Sometimes we can't get both and we deal without the water heater. That said, two years ago I got the wife to break down and let me put a microwave in the camper, mostly because reheating leftovers on a stove usually sucks. Now we heat our water pretty much exclusively in that. If I were you I would toss the water heater and put in a microwave. It's more versatile.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
My Jayco 12SO didn't come with a water heater or a pump. I modified it with a pump first and then put in an on demand heater the year after that (and replaced it the following year after I let it freeze).

To install an on demand you are going to need two separate plug ins. When we camp we have to pick out a site with a 30amp 110v for the camper and a 50amp 220v for the water heater. Sometimes we can't get both and we deal without the water heater. That said, two years ago I got the wife to break down and let me put a microwave in the camper, mostly because reheating leftovers on a stove usually sucks. Now we heat our water pretty much exclusively in that. If I were you I would toss the water heater and put in a microwave. It's more versatile.
Just curious how you set up the 220 to the water heater? Seems like it would require a lot of stuff to do safely?

rslaback

Jul 21, 2012
Just curious how you set up the 220 to the water heater? Seems like it would require a lot of stuff to do safely?
It's an in house unit designed for a bathroom or single faucet. I think it is an Atmor AT-900. We wanted it primarily for doing dishes so it needed to be hot, not warm. It is mounted under the sink inside the cabinet and has it's own service cable that goes out the same hole as the regular 30amp hook up. The water is plumbed from a tank to a pump and then it tees with one line going to the cold on the sink and the other to the input of the water heater. From the water heater the out tees with one line going to the sink and the other to an outside hose bib under our stove that we use to fill the bucket before we transfer the water to our camp kitchen for dishes.

PaulaBrensinger

Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire
We recently replaced our 6 gal Suburban water heater that was constantly giving us trouble with a Fogatti tankless water heater. It was designed to slide into the same space the Suburban came out of. It was about $400 plus the cost of some brass fittings and a pressure relief valve.
We recently replaced our 6 gal Suburban water heater that was constantly giving us trouble with a Fogatti tankless water heater. It was designed to slide into the same space the Suburban came out of. It was about $400 plus the cost of some brass fittings and a pressure relief valve.

Been out on two weekly camp outs this spring and absolutely love it. Only used propane when water faucet is open. Supposed to use about 20% less propane.

We replaced the control board on the Suburban twice in 2 years. When it came time to replace again we said that’s enough.
Do you have a model number on your tankless? I've never been able to get my suburban running. Replacing with a tankless would be great.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
We bought the 42000btu unit that fits in a 13x13 opening. When we purchased both white and black door models were available. There were no model numbers listed on Amazon just btu sizes. I think the other size is about 55000btu. The smaller one is still working perfectly for us.

PaulaBrensinger

Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire
We bought the 42000btu unit that fits in a 13x13 opening. When we purchased both white and black door models were available. There were no model numbers listed on Amazon just btu sizes. I think the other size is about 55000btu. The smaller one is still working perfectly for us.
Ordered one of these from Amazon. it arrived today. Ordered white they sent black. Return processing, White one on The way, arriving after we return from this trip. Will ineed any weird fitting to connect to the water lines?

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Ordered one of these from Amazon. it arrived today. Ordered white they sent black. Return processing, White one on The way, arriving after we return from this trip. Will ineed any weird fitting to connect to the water lines?
Water line in was a simple take off old Suburban an screw onto new heater. It is strongly recommended to install a pressure relief value on the outgoing connection. We had to buy a smaller size Camco relief valve from Amazon as the box stores only carry home size valves.

To install the relief valve we had to attach a brass T fitting to the hot water out connection and then attach the hot water line to one outlet and the pressure relief valve to the other outlet on the T. This took a couple of visits to the local hardware store for brass fittings to convert female T outlet back to male etc.

There are a couple of YouTube videos that show the end result. I saw some comments about the need for a pressure relief valve which is what adds steps to the install. I’m abiding by manufacturers warning to add the valve. Only complaint with Fogatti is it would have been logical and nice to include the extra plumbing with the unit even if it meant upping the price a few $$.

PaulaBrensinger

Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire
Water line in was a simple take off old Suburban an screw onto new heater. It is strongly recommended to install a pressure relief value on the outgoing connection. We had to buy a smaller size Camco relief valve from Amazon as the box stores only carry home size valves.

I bought that at the same time.
To install the relief valve we had to attach a brass T fitting to the hot water out connection and then attach the hot water line to one outlet and the pressure relief valve to the other outlet on the T. This took a couple of visits to the local hardware store for brass fittings to convert female T outlet back to male etc.

So I will expect to need to make more then one trip to look for parts to complete this project. That's typical.
There are a couple of YouTube videos that show the end result.

I'll look for those, thanks!
I saw some comments about the need for a pressure relief valve which is what adds steps to the install. I’m abiding by manufacturers warning to add the valve. Only complaint with Fogatti is it would have been logical and nice to include the extra plumbing with the unit even if it meant upping the price a few $$.
Yeah, I got mine from them. Would be nice to include all the bits needed. Given what happened to my storage box on driving out of the seller's driveway,and the issue I found with rotted floorboards under the hood water heater I'm considering further "renovation". Maybe I'll need to plan that first. Or maybe I can install it in a different spot. maybe "next door" to the cabin heater under the couch? There's a cabinet door there that I've just stuffed the ruffle valance things because they are a mess but I'll use them for the slide clips when I redecorate. Or does it have to be "outside" the cabin? Seems silly to have water lines running all the way up there. I'll probably replace storage box with a mesh fenced storage cage. Hmm.