Hot water?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Heilman_5, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I don't have a hot water heater in my Aliner, but if I get around to installing one, it will definitely be a propane instant hot water heater. Much rather use that than my gen. I'm actually having a whole house propane instant hot water heater installed in my vaca home next week.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

How would you install/vent/etc that into a popup?

JPBar likes this.
  4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Might be able to go right out the wall, since many use 3" PVC pipe for the vent; not sure. Wonder how much they cost? I paid over $1500 for a large gas tankless a few years ago for my house.

5. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Vent out the side

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Would be interested in more details. This unit looks fairly tall, and vents out the top.

We don't have hot water either so I'm always interested in upgrade options.

7. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Almost 24" tall according to the specs, and the water lines are at the bottom. Figure 30" vertical space minimum for an installation. Also the footnote that it uses "non-American" threads for the gas and water line threads.. o_O
    And the spec that it's 24KW of heat, which I'm getting as 80,000 BTU/hour on my calcs..

8. nhlakes

I really haven’t done much research on camper LP instant water heaters yet, but I was assuming that I’d be able to find one that was small enough to fit.

Hard to believe they’d all be too big for our size trailers.

If I ever do want to install one hopefully someone else will have done it first and posted details. ;)

Edit: Here is an LP version https://www.amazon.com/Girard-Prod-2GWHAM-GIRARD-TANKLESS/dp/B019BWN8E2

Another Edit: Installation

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

There are a lot of guys on TT forums that actually replace the tankless systems with old style tanked water heaters. Apparently, the tankless ones are fickle/unreliable. I don't have any first-hand experience with them. The water heater in my HTT is traditional style.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have seen a number of threads where people used a tankless water heater, but they were all mounted outside, and mostly used to provide hot water for external sinks, wash stations and showers. I am sure there have been some folks out there that have retrofitted a tankless unit to a camper but I can't recall seeing one. Then again, it was never something I was terribly interested in doing since my water heater is fine for now.

Not sure what the innards look like, but sometimes residential stuff isn't always up to the task of bouncing around in a trailer during transit. There would be some concern that something might get damaged after a while?

11. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Many of the high end TT's and Driveables have tankless systems factory installed. But some have removed them and replaced with traditional systems because the tankless ones are troublesome. Again, I don't have any experience with them, but have just read some of the threads on other forums.

12. nhlakes

I was very interested in putting an instant hot water heater in my Aliner, until it occurred to me recently that adding a 6 gallon hot water heater would increase my on board water supply by 50%. Now I'm considering adding a conventional hot water heater with DSI.

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Actually, considering the water heater to be an addition to your water supply is a marketing myth. Once your primary water supply is exhausted the water in the wh is inaccessible, unless you rig something to the wh drain. This is possible with a suburban wh because they don't require an anode. I bought a boiler bib a few years ago to do that but it's never been installed, I don't think I could close the access door with it in place.

14. nhlakes

Can't blame marketing, it was just a thought. ;) Never considered your point. So you're saying that you will always have 6 gallons of unused water in the tank, regardless, assuming you don't rig up something special? Hmm... I don't do a lot of dry camping and have never run out of water before when I had a water heater, so I never ran into that situation. (Although my HTT had a much larger freshwater tank.)

15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

That's about it. Our wh is mounted in the front storage box, so it doesn't take up any interior accessible storage space. Otherwise I'd probably prefer to go without. It's not that hard to heat water on the stove and there are several portable units that you can buy cheaper than a rv water heater.

If you do go with the typical rv water heater make sure it's full before you leave to go dry camping, otherwise you've really shot yourself in the foot.

16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Looks like it needs a regulated LP feed. If it ran on 1# tanks, that would make it truly portable and you could just hang it anywhere you had a hose for water pressure. It's not a bad idea if you could mount it in a fixed location. If trying to make something that you set up and take down for outside showers and stuff, I think the ready-made portable hot water systems out there would be a lot less hassle than rigging this one to do that.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Might want to double check your water heater, Atwoods are the only ones that do not require an anode as far as I know ..

crackerJack and Fless like this.
  18. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

20171113_141858.jpg I recently added an Attwood propane/electric water heater to a pup that never had hot water. I love the water heater and it can be used as propane only, electric only or both at the same time. It is 6 gallons and the tank is nice since I only have like a 10 gallon on board fresh water tank.

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Great idea as cold showers etc. are not much fun, but for boondocking it does not leave much for general use, the water heater takes 6 gallons, leaving only 6 gallons, however if hooked up to city water that would make no difference. Good luck and Happy camping

20. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

I would prefill the water heater and then fill the main tank up again. I have a second water pump and several of the 7 gallon tanks to refill my main tank while at camp.
    We usually do not have hookups, so we try to be as self sufficient as possible.