1. with3boys

with3boys New Member

Can you add hot water tank/ heater to a unit? Is it worthwhile to do, considering the cost?

2. IPcamper

IPcamper New Member

Yes you can, is it worth it? That depends on what you want to spend. You will need to find space to install it, and you will need a water pump to provide pressure/flow, if you are not connected to city water.

There are a number of different ways to add hot water. Search this forum and you will find posts about electric only hot water heaters, portable on demand systems, and the propane 6 galleon heaters. Other people have decided that a large electric coffee urn is enough for them. True camping fanatics will tell you there is nothing wrong about heaing water on the stove. ( Been there, done that, like the convenience of a water heater. )

in the spring of 2009, I added a Atwood 6 galleon propane heater to our 2002 Coleman Cottonwood trailer. I had to re-plumb the trailer and tee off the gas line. It took about a days work and the parts cost me about $350. I picked up the heater, new, on Ebay for $280 shipped and then for tubing and copper line for gas. I also added an exterior shower, that was about another $30. I already had installed a new faucet and water pump a few years earlier.

I have some pictures on my webshot site,just click on the little camera under my name

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Many members who own pup's without a built in water heater have gone and added one of the sevral types of "Hot Water On Demand" systems. Coleman's HWOD is one example but there are a few others (zodi ((I think it is comes to mind))). If you do some searching for HWOD and do some tweeking with it you'll find lots of info.

As IPcamper stated, if your going to make use of the water heater enough to offset the cost of it and the required accessories then by all means add a 6 gallon tank, if you don't want the extra expense then look at the HWOD systems.

4. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Three years ago, I added a 2.5 gallon electric tank model under the galley of our 06 Sun Valley and we love it. DW didn't want a solution that required an extra unit like the HWOD or the unit that hangs outside the camper. Hot is the left side of the faucet and cold is on the right, just like at home. We always camp on Electric sites. It heats up is about 10 minutes

If you want to take a shower, it would have to be a short one. But if you're looking for enough HW to cook, cleanup and wash face/hands, this works great.

[​IMG]

More photos on my Webshots page.

Hope this helps,

5. ak_nd

ak_nd New Member

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

IMO a water heater is a waste of cargo capacity and space unless you have an interior shower. My Yuma came with one and I've never used it. Every year I think about taking it out but just haven't been able to get around to it.

7. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I owned a Jayco 1006 with no water heater. I moved up to my Utah and it has a hot water heater. Now, it would be very hard to talk me into giving it up. I hated having to boil water all the time to wash dishes. Having a water heater is a great option for me.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

IMO, for the few times I need some hot water, boiling some is no biggie. I don't wash dishes when camping. I use plastic and toss it.

9. insanehognutt

insanehognutt New Member

one of these if you aren't using a microwave or ac at the same time as the heater?

http://www.ioffer.com/i/shagwalla--Marey-Electric-Chrome-Shower-Head-Tankless-Heater-RV-s--30749081

One of these if you put it outside?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ECCOTEMP-LPG-PROPANE-LP-TANKLESS-GAS-HOT-WATER-HEATER-/290391991964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0