Hotwater Heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Alberto, May 11, 2012.

1. Alberto

Alberto New Member

I would like to install a hotwater heater in my Coleman Cheyenne how easy is it to install

2. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

3. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

A hotwater heater? Why would you need to heat hot water? Sounds to me like you need a cold water heater. Or just a water heater.

4. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

Some people just cannot resist [}:)]

5. Alberto

Alberto New Member

That's fine it's all good thanks for the info is the wiring easy to do on these units I have the Atwood water heater 10 gallon and do i need a switch in the trailer for the water heater.And thanks for the pics.

6. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

My (hot [:D]) water heater is an older pilot only non-electric unit, no wiring involved. Pilot only models are still available but most tend to go with the more convenient electric model.

Here is a link to a Suburban installation manual. Note the wiring diagram on page 5.
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/swinstall.pdf

Looks like you need to bring 12+ and 12- (ground) to the water heater and run a 4 conductor 18 gauge thermostat wire inside the RV to the switch and light.

Personally I find the non electric model easy to use and it is somewhat cheaper to buy. Less electronics to fail and maintain (I'm old school).

7. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Go for the electric model. I replaced my cold [;)] WH 2 years ago when I was new to popups. I wasn't sure of my abilities and went for the direct replacement assuming it would be simpler.

Every time I go camping I kick myself for not getting the electric model. They're pretty much the same price, and it's not something you can easily retrofit afterwards.

8. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Great!!!! Now if you got any questions about your clean clothes washer or your cold air conditioner let us know. [:D] Your right.... some people just can't resist [}:)]

9. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

[:D]