Housekeeping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Econ, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

What have you found successful in keeping the floor clean? With the constant going in and out in the morning while cooking, etc the floor has leaves, etc all over it. How do you prevent bringing that trash in?

Then there are the dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs. Before you comment on my aversion to dog fecal matter please know that I prefer dogs (over 10 pounds) to the majority of people so don't call me a dog hater.

Have tried a 15' long piece of astroturf with poor results.

Ideas? Thanks

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We have carpet on the outside steps, take our shoes off when entering, rug runner in aisle.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We put down carpet, but nothing keeps ALL of the stuff out.
    IMG_6285.JPG

Sjm9911 and Pommom70 like this.
  4. cuppajoe

cuppajoe New Member

Shoes stay outside and that takes care of most of it. For the rest we just sweep it out before packing up at the end of the trip.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do inside and outside rugs. You still need to sweep daily. Good thing is otsita small area to sweep!

Pommom70 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Did they walk the dogs through your camper?? I pick up after my dog.... to answer your other question, sweep often. Wipe feet before entering and shoes generally come off upon entering.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Like most everyone else, shoes come off outside. Of course the kids forget or bring In dirt, rocks and sticks. Good thing about having kids is they are free(ish) labor and can clean up the mess.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have one of those plastic outdoor camper mats, an outside door rug on top of that in addition to an inside rug. For the most part the combination is ok. I still need to sweep at the end if the trip and take the rugs out to shake them but the rugs help keep the dust, out. The plastic mat it easy to sweep off and dirt can usually fall through the cracks. I personally always clean after my dog's but have found many inconderate people who don't. I've even cleaned up after other people's dogs. I know your frustration though.

9. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

A lot of people put an outdoor rug down outside the camper. If you have a canopy/awning/add-a-room, use it as well. Maybe "encourage" everyone to kick off their shoes at the door. The best way to keep stuff from getting tracked in is to keep it outside.

Failing that, add a broom & dustpan to the essentials. A good sweeping should take maybe two minutes.

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

We have the standard plastic-like camping mat outside plus a piece of carpet on the step. When I think of it, I try to brush my feet on the carpet before going in, but inevitably stuff gets on the floor. I’ll sweep the floor and use a dust pan before we go to bed so our feet don’t pick it up when I take her shoes off. Initially I just swept it out the door, but that just got tracked back in, LOL.

Last trip, cleaning some spilled water on the floor with a paper towel, I wiped some dirty areas... floor clean again, hah! Now if My eye sees a spot that bugs me, I wipe with a wet paper towel. Also, I’m working on ‘noticing less’!

Pommom70, HappyTraveler and Econ like this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TT has carpet in it from the factory.....worst idea ever. We are accustomed to wearing shoes that are easy to kick on and off when camping and make a habit of doing so.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You are camping, there is suppose to be dirt on the floor. I just sweep often.

FARfetched and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. Econ

Econ Active Member

I'm to the point where grandkids are the free labor IF they are around.

Camper054 and bheff like this.
  14. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks for the responses. We are minimalists and the area rug found its way to the yard sale. We wear hiking boots and do leave them out at night but taking them off midday is not an option.

This is our plan of action. The jumbo size Command hook had the hook shortened. Using heavy duty double sided tape it was attached to the roof extrusion (A frame thing) so as the broom hangs down about 18" from the door and the bristles are up off the dirt.

The main item. Got a boot brush. It is designed to brush the mud off boots.

We cook outside so constantly in and out getting things

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Or get a step rug and wipe feet prior to going in.. when rug is too dirty the remove the stuff, sweep clean..

Rik Peery, HappyTraveler and Pommom70 like this.
  16. Econ

Econ Active Member

We have a step rug.

17. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Best thing we bought was the plastic door mat with the big bristles and deep tray. All the dirt and pine needles fall off your shoes and drop down past the bristles with 2 kids and a bunch of family going in and out after a week i had to sweep once.

Econ likes this.
  18. davekro

davekro Active Member

Can you share a link as an example?

19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Screen room on front with a outdoor rug. Cooking done in screen room. If we are going to be at the campsite long enough to prepare a meal we loose the shoes and wear slides or flip flops that stay outside. Some dirt still finds it's way into the PUP. The kids are not allowed to be in and out of the PUP during the day. For cooking the fridge is located directly in front of the door so getting stuff from there, I step in kneel get it and step out. Non-perishable food is in the cabinet to the left of the door so it's about the same. Cooking tools and supplies had to be stored farther back and require walking in nearly to the back. Sweeping once or twice a day keeps it pretty clean.

20. MarKenTime

MarKenTime New Member

We have a rubber mat, it reminds me of the matting that you would put under a rug at home to prevent slipping. It helps to clean the bottom of your feet/ shoes before you get to the steps. I keep a shoe bucket beside the door and have a mat just inside the door. This keeps out most of the leaves but we do get small gravel and sand that I have to sweep regularly. Good luck with whatever you choose and happy camping!