how 2 winterize a HTT??

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Penny Logan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

I am pretty green at this what do I need to do to winterize my HTT. I live in Louisiana, I do not have a cover and from what I have read I should NOT cover it with a tarp?? [?:~{]

2. my toys

my toys New Member

You do not HAVE to cover it. Some do, some don't. DO NOT use a tarp. If you decide to cover it, use breathable material. Otherwise you could have mold/mildew. You need to winterize the water lines if it gets below freezing where you live.

3. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

since i haven't lived in Louisiana since i was a kid, i don't remember how cold it gets.
    i live in California and we never winterize, since it only gets below freezing during the night. it always warms up during the day.
    winterizing is for those in climates where it stays below freezing all day.
    but, if you want to be safe, either blow out the water lines with air or fill them with pink RV antifreeze.

4. MissLou

MissLou Member

We live in Louisiana too. We drain our water heater, blow out the water lines and pour the pink antifreeze into the drains. We don't pump it throughout the system. Be sure to flush out the toilet water line as well. We keep our Shamrock under a shed so we don't use a cover. Although it doesn't get below freezing in our area too often it does happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

If you regularly get down below freezing for long stretches, you'll need to winterize the water system. Otherwise, you can use a portable electric heater set pretty low (i.e., 50's) to keep it warm enough during odd cold snaps.

As far as the water system goes, a HTT is no different from any other TT. Here's a really good video:
    How To: Winterize your RVs water system

You don't necessarily need an air compressor. I did this with a battery powered tire inflator and this and then followed it up with antifreeze. I don't like only blowing out the lines, since there still could be pockets of water in them, but we do get down into the single digits periodically and sometimes go for days below freezing here in DC. It took me about 30 minutes to do this at the campground this weekend before heading home, and it was my first time with this particular trailer.

After that:

- Clean out all food (prevents ants and vermin)
    - Vacuum really well to make sure you got any crumbs and whatnot.
    - Some people also believe in mothballs and Bounce sheets to help prevent mice.
    - Clean out all freezeable items (water jugs, cans of soup, etc..)
    - Go ahead and give it a good cleaning inside an out so your spring startup will be easier
    - Clean your roof to help prevent black streaks and help prolong the life of your roof. Inspect for damage and repair as necessary.
    - Bring all linens into your house
    - Put in something to help keep the humidity down to prevent mold (dehumidifier, DampRid, crack open a ceiling vent and a window)
    - Remove your battery and attach it to something like a Battery Tender Plus, checking the electrolyte levels periodically
    - Get some tire covers and cover your tires (UV damages tires). Always cover them when not in use for the longest life.
    - If desired, Cover your HTT with a breathable cover. This helps keep debris and sap off your HTT, but may hide issues until you uncover in the spring.

Some of these steps may be optional depending on where you store it, how often you'll be checking on it and whatnot.

To de-winterize, flush the lines really well with water, sanitize them (do a search on here) and you should be good.

6. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] Puttin the pink antifreeze into the water lines is highly recommended, however do not forget the u-traps in the sinks and tub/shower, Make sure you winterize them as they are plastic and some of them are a real problem trying to replace or fix. My HTT has a plastic hose next to the water pump, I bypass the water heater (6 gallons). I empty the water heater then i put the winterizing hose into a one gallon bottle of pink anti freeze and run it thru the hot and cold lines making sure that I run enough to fill the u-traps. One gallon +1/2 hour and I'm winterized. No need to do anything but flush the lines with household water in the spring prior to my first camp out.