How about some trout fishing tips?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by skeetercampsintexas, Jan 25, 2014.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

There aren't many places in Texas to go trout fishing aside from the Guadalupe river. TPWD stocks ponds occassionally with no expectations of the fish to live long but for pure enjoyment with no daily limit on number or size. Recently a local pond was stocked and due to lack of natural game I'mnot well versed on trout tactics for a pond.

Any tips from you trout fishermen out there? I have plenty of light action set ups for rod and reel. Crappie jigs, rooster tails, etc. Ill be out there this morning but I'm definitely willing to go more than once of course [;)]

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

One suggestion, and it is fun, pick up an adjust-a-float. I found some at Bass Pro. You can add a little water to the float to make it easy to cast. From there add a trout fly. A wet or dry fly can be used. I used that rig in Wyoming and Wisconsin this past summer with an ultralight and light action spinning rod. It's a chance to go fly fishing without buying a fly rod.

By the way, if you are on Facebook, Fishing's Future is offering a Shakespeare Fly Fishing outfit free with a $30 donation. They are a legit organization headquartered on South Padre Island and are doing a great job encouraging kids and adults to take up fishing. http://fishingsfuture.org/

3. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Being from Oklahoma I know your dilemma. We have a few more places to trout fish but not many. I ventured out trout fishing just this year (well June of last year till present) for the first time.

I have yet to throw metal (lures, spinners) at them yet but I'm doing really well using wet flies (midges, wooly buggers, etc). I picked up a fly rod package at our local Academy Sports and Outdoors for around $60.00. Came with backing, fly line, tippet, rod, and reel. Some poorly tied dry flies as well.

My method that works for me here on the Blue River is to tie a top fly and a trailer fly. I normally tie a wooly bugger as the top and trail it with a leader of about 2ft with a midge of smaller proportion to the top fly. Put a strike indicator about a foot and a half to two foot above the top fly and go at them.

Roll casting is the way to go with beginners. Easy and quick to pick up. Works really well if there is a lot of structure behind you also. Saves a lot of time untangling your line from a bad cast also.

Wish I could help you on the ultra light system but like I said I haven't done that yet. Still enjoying the fly rod part of it! Here is a picture from last weekends catch at Blue River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The hatchery in Athens TX loans ya a kid's zebco rigged with a bobber, weight & hook. They also provide ya with a few kernels of can corn.

5. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

Beerlifter;
    Now that is a stringer to be proud of any day; I would hope that you did my favorite part of a good days fishing; and that's have a "Shore Lunch" right there. They will never taste better and never be fresher.

Those were excellent tips as well, especially for the beginner Fly Fisherman. The only thing i would add to it is: Don't be intimidated as to what Fly, what size, and what color. Forget all the expert talk over that. It's simple; look at the water and see what's floating on it; what color is it; how big is it. Now go to your selection of flys and get something that kind of has the same shape as whats floating on the water and flying in the air right over the water; now to that shape, add the color as close to it as you can, and the same size. Tie it on and hang on.
    Once you do catch one, look in its stomache and see what color bugs are mostly in there. That's all it really takes to
    "MATCH THE HATCH". Leave the scientific hocus pocus for the experts; Do what I suggested above and chance are you will catch as many as you "MATCH THEIR CATCH".
    Tight lines friends,.
    Ken

6. BigJake

BigJake New Member

I usually go to Roaring River sp in southwest MO but i am from Oklahoma and occasionally will fish Mar-Val down by Gore OK... the rig i use is 3lb test line, an eagle claw bronze #14 hook and Berkley Power Eggs (usually white,orange or pink works well) and put 3 BB sixed sinkers,spaced about 5 inches apart from each other about a foot and a half above your hook. put one power egg on your hook and just cast it in and let it settle to the bottom. keep your line taught and wait for the bite... never fails me... one tip though is try to hide as much of your hook inside the power egg as you can... trout can be picky...

7. skiball

skiball New Member

I do just about everything as far as trout fishing. Fly, centerpin (for steelhead), ultralight with lures or live bait. The situation predicts...
    As for ultralight fishing with lures. I tried an unorthodox method about a year and a half ago. I also get some funny looks while doing it. That is until they see me catch and release fish after fish (50 plus some days). I had a small Rapala F-3 shallow diving crankbait laying on my desk that I bought for smallmouth fishing. I thought, what the heck, it's worth a try. One day after the fish pretty much quit hitting, I decided to give it a try. One cast - Fish, second cast - Fish, and so the morning went on, winning the envelope full of $5 dollart bills my friends and I wagered on for the most fish caught. After a while, I lost that lure to a snag and was heartbroken. I have since bought a bunch of these lures and use them more often than my old favorite spinners and spoons. Ya... other fishermen think (at first) this guy dosen't know what he's doing. He's using Bass lures for Trout. After they see me hooking up time after time, I believe they change their minds...
    Another lure to try, is the Niti 1. Just look up Niti fishing lure on Google and you will find a link. You will have to get the number and call them (they aren't real tech savvy) Ask for the Nitti 1 (I do much better with that one than the others. Get black for spooky fish in gin clear water and nickle for slightly stained water. They have the best action of any trout lure I have found. You can't find thease in stores or anywhere other than buying driectly from the manufacturer but you will be glad you did... Hope my long winded story helps...

8. Strut

Strut Member

Fishing for hatchery trout is almost too easy. They are raised on pellet food so will bite on just about anything. No fly rod needed, but it is great fun landing a nice trout on a fly rod. Here in Kentucky we have a large hatchery fed by the cold water output of a hydroelectric damn on Cumberland Lake. They stock the tail-water creek, and all other trout waters in the state with tons of fish just about all year long. Canned corn seems to be the local favorite bait. I tend to add a little piece of night crawler for good measure. Power Bait paste and salmon eggs get good results too.

9. Strut

Strut Member

For pond fishing hatchery trout with an ultralight I'd try a floating bait like Berkley Power paste rigged with a sinker so it floats off the bottom 6-12". Trout in a hot pond will tend to go the cool(er) water at the bottom. Anything over about 70* and they don't do well. They'll die in water over 80* in short time.

10. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

#4 Panther martins work real good on a 4lb test.

11. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Best advice I can give that hasn't been said....

[​IMG]

12. RaiderSteve

RaiderSteve New Member

For stocked trout get some trout magnet jigs. I catch limits every time now after I started to use these jigs