How are tires this hard...Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Enigmacamper, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

So, I naievely thought that getting new tires was a simple thing. I'm super confused now about options, brands, ratings etc.
    We have a (very early) 2017 Aliner Scout (about 1,400lbs) with original tires "LOAD STAR" K550, Load range D, ST175/80 D 13. I don't know how long these tires should be good for but they have a "speed rating" of 65mph which is super annoying since it adds so much extra travel time.
    I am more concerned with the tires than anything else and would want the best quality I could get (with a single axle, blowouts is a huge concern for me, especially if I'm towing by myself). I guess my questions are...should I replace the tires I have? (I don't know how long they're good for or if this is a good tire or a bad one). If I should replace, what are the best brands that make a tire in this size? I read Michelin is one of the best makers but not sure they have a tire this size (which I think is 13"...is that right?).

Obviously I don't know anything about tires really, just prefer them not made in China. Any advice here is appreciated, appointment is Friday! :grin:

P.S. our Subaru's tires are almost bald and we need to replace them too, if anyone has a suggestion there as well that would be most welcome!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Your tires will have a daye on them. Most recomend not using tires over 5 years old. Most new tires are made elsewhere. I have chepo ones, so far so good. Most dont let you tow more then 72 mph. Those would be radials, they have biased ones also. So tou need to be in the correct load, size speed you want then consider radial vs biased. If doing highway miles, i would look at radials, they run cooler and track better. https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

3. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

I just went out to inspect them, they show no apparent wear that I can see, tons of tread and no cracking or dry look etc. I did however find no date, where is it usually?

Also just noticed my working tires say "97/92M" where the spare says "100/96M"...What on earth does this mean?

4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

I went out again and found the date by looking at your link, thank you. It says 7YAR 1816. I think that means they're about exactly three years old. I don't know what 7YAR means though

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If, like you say, the tires have no physical bad signs then being only 3 years old they are still good.
    I'm sorry that you don't like 65 MPH. In some states, the max tow speed for trailers is 65 MPH regardless of the tire rating.
    Some states even less.

Garrity likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Tom's right about the age though. 3yo, no bad signs. I'd keep them.

9. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Sure they are rated for 65, but if they're in good shape, no police lawmen will stop you for going 70. And who would check those tires rating anyway??

Don't worry, Go camping

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. The date would be on the side of the tire. However on some tires I found it's only printed on one side so you may need to crawl to the back of your tire to read it. Big pain, so I feel your pain. Instead of crawling on the ground with a flashlight I used my cell phone camera with a flash. Saved the day.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Biggest thing, especially if you want to run at the speed rating, is to keep them aired up to the max pressure on the sidewall. If it’s low, the tire flexes more as it rolls, creating more heat from internal friction and heat is what leads to blowouts.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Garrity likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If your confused and here asking questions that means you will likely learn something new.. may get confused more first but you'll learn..

Loadstar is a great brand (at least in my opinion) ran them for years on both the pup and TT and never had an issue with them.. The 65mph does suck a bit, but 1) you are towing, you shouldn't be in a hurry, 2) As long as you have the pressure in them set to the sidewall maximum, you could safely travel at 70mph if you needed to pull out and pass or speed up to change lanes..

Unless it is something "NEW" Michelin doesn't make ST trailer tires..

90% of tires are made in China, think there is only 2 maybe 3 trailer tire manufactures that are NOT made in China and probably close to the same for autos..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

55 MPH in California :(

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

With a date code 1816 your tires were manufactured the 18th week of 2016, the first two digits of 7YAR is the factory - Kenda Rubber China Co Ltd, Kunshan, Jiangsu, China.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

my cross ply trailer tires track just fine, no issues at all in 2,000 miles of Freeway, Highway, rural and dirt. They are “Treadstar” (approx $56 with white wheel @ eTrailer) Max Load 1050 Lbs Load Range “C” 2 ply side, 4 ply tread, nylon. My trailer is about 850 Lbs empty, so I put 65psi cold in the tires. I bought a Chinese solar TPMS to monitor tire pressures and temp while towing (its actually, a 4-tire unit, monitoring both trailer tires on the road, trailer spare, and one tire on my Jeep)

16. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Ken Lane likes this.
  17. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

check the spare too, if you didn't already!

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yes, I know. When I'm in Ca. I'm not towing. I have a brother in Bonita.

19. Anthony Hitchings

No - do not do that maximum pressure thing - keep tires at a pressure commensurate with the actual load

20. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - re your Subaru tires - DO look at Walmart's offerings - prices can't be beat and installation is cheap. That how I bought my last set of tires for m 2008 Jeep Liberty. No regrets.