How are tires this hard...Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Enigmacamper, Jun 12, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of development, at Michelin and the tire industry, in the airless tire technologies. Hopefully it will filter down to the RV industry.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I will second the fact that many tire shops inflate to max pressure on passenger car tires. I even got into a heated battle with a friend over it, where he was insisting the shop was correct and I was wrong. A year later he called to say "you were right, I'm now buying another set of tires and the tire shop is still saying max pressure, but I won't do it this time".

Trailer tires are almost always at max load, hence max pressure. With my up one range I am now well under max load. I didn't just pull it out of my behind. I called the company and they said "we always recommend max pressure, however in your specific case a few pounds off will do no harm".

I was pounding my trailer to death. Finding screws loose etc. Those few pounds off have noticeably reduced vibration in the trailer.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  3. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Thanks, yeah, that's only an extra inch.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Stock size, and my Jeep tires in both instances were/are "P" series P225/75R16. Only recently, when I had just one tire replaced after a sidewall tear, did the (local) installer put the placard air pressure in the tire.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

So what does this have to do with trailer tires?

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

we were comparing the instructions re air pressure - please read the prior posts if you need to know more. My point was essentially - its not one size fits all. For most folks max pressure may be ok for their trailer tires, but if you have a light trailer, as I do, max pressure is not needed and may shake the trailer contents more than necessary, which leads to other issues. Each of us will do what we each feel is right for our specific set of circumstances, but its nice to at least be able to read different points of view.

7. tombiasi

Well the manufactures of ST tires differ with you. They are designed to be inflated to the pressure on the sidewall. It doesn't say maximum pressure. It says to inflate to that pressure for the rated load. If you have some way to derate the load perhaps you should contact the manufacturer.

8. tombiasi

I read all the prior posts.

9. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I put Kenda Karrier radials on my popup last year and they have been good so far. I have taken several long trips up to 9 hours away. My camper camper with 5.3x12, load range C tires. I bought radials in load range D. And it does not matter if your tire tread looks good or not. When we bought our used 2008 camper last year I took a quick look and the tires looked good, lots of tread. We took it on a short overnight trip 50 miles from home. When we returned, I found that about a 9" section of tread from one tire had come completely off of the tire. It was amazing that we did not have a blow out. I took the tire to a tire shop and they taught me how to read the date code. The tires were the original and they were 10 years old. The tire shops locally do not carry 12" trailer tires so I ordered them from Etrailer.com. I replaced the two wheels on the camper and the spare.

As for your Subaru, I really like Cooper tires. I have been buying them for almost 20 years and I have never had a problem. Last year, I had some Cooper RTX tires installed on my wife's Toyota Highlander.