How are u hauling gray water tote

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Katharine Wilson, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Katharine Wilson

Katharine Wilson New Member

hi, first pup here... bought used with a 32 gal gray tote. Use it lots. Hate cramming it inside to close it all up like origami. Would rather use inside for precious cargo... how are people hauling their totes? Any mounting options that work?

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ok, well, a 32 gallon tote is pretty darn big, but I can't assume you're in a PUP, so perhaps you have a large TT or something. A lot of folks simply use one of the 6 gallon Aquatainers which are small and easy to store.

As far as storage, I have seen them on the roof ladders of TT's, but not much on PUPs. There's no real reason why you can't put it on the roof (empty, of course) and strap it down with some ratchet straps.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve seen people strap the empty gray water container to the bumper of their popup but the 32galllon is bound to be wider then the bumper so not sure how that would work.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

32 is really big , on the pup i used an 11 gallon one. I bought a bigger one for the TT, i cant find room for it.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I have an old bike rack on the back of my PUP. I don't use it for bikes but instead the empty 15 gallon tote and my mats go on it. Too much weight and sway could occur.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We just use a recycled five gallon bucket that fits nicely under the collapsed table in the pup. Have to empty it more often, but it's a real space saver.

2018 Grand Portage 04.JPG

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I use a couple of the 6-7 gallon Aquatainers to capture the sink drain... When one fills up I switch the hose to the second container... Easy to carry off using a folding two wheel tote...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

For me the extra room on my POPUP front deck is where I store these containers...
    [​IMG]
    google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You could store it inside the vehicle, on the vehicles roof, strap it to the trailers roof, or buy a smaller 7 gal. container and store that in the trailer ..

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

32 Gallon! You won't be able to move it. Return and get one of no more then 10 gallon if you can.

10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have a 15 gallon tote that fits in the front storage trunk of the pup.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

They come with some form of handle that hooks onto the vehicle hitch to tow it to the dump station.. Actually not too difficulty to move with the handle..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Katharine Wilson

Wow what a nice way to wake up with all these replies! Thanks guys! I had not considered how insane that size is. I just figured it was normal bc it is what came with the pup. Im down to get creative. It is nice though to camp 8 days and only hit the dump at the end. The tote is a pia to clean out so now i have new ideas! Thank you

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I mean even empty it will be a bear to handle.

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You haven't told us the make / model / year of popup you have and whether it might have an inside shower but presuming not the only grey water you're going to generate is galley sink water. Like roybraddy I prefer to drain into a couple of 7 gal Reliance Aquatainers, except I couple mine together for a total capacity of 14 gals.

[​IMG]

However, if your galley sink drains down through the floor of the camper you may be stuck using a low profile tote tank. If that's the case sell the 32 gal version you have and buy a much smaller one.

15. Katharine Wilson

676849A4-26E3-4A1E-916B-E72647F74BAB.jpeg So it is a 2014 palimino basecamp 12fbs it hS a cassette potty (no thankyou) and a shower (extra no thank you) so yea the outlet is this first pic. Second pic is big bertha.

we use our “bathroom” as a laundry shoot, actually very handy with two kids :). Only gray is kitchen sink. Fresh tank is 19 gallons. We fill if weather permits, otherwise aguatainer in cold to keep it inside

Attached Files:

16. Sjm9911

The cassette toilet is atually really nice to have and use. You should give it a go sometimes.

17. Katharine Wilson

I hear that. It was tempting in freezing temps but... i do not want my sic year old boy peeing within range of my bed. No thank you

18. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Lol, it isnt too bad. My 4 year old and 13 year old use it no problem. If aim is a concern, just make him sit.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

My cassette toilet was also the shower, so easy to rinse it all down. Additionally, on the westlake the sholet was close to the kitchen sink, so i could pull the wand over and wash the kidos hair. And then a sponge bath.