How are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JimmyM, Mar 18, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I finished up our masks today, my back was still mad at me from the long day of sewing on Thursday, guess I can no longer push it that far. I found a bunch of fabric left from the quilt I'm finishing for the TT, so I'm going to do a quit-pieced throw quilt. Also have a baby quilt to do for our niece, we found out yesterday that she is expecting a girl June 1. I've had a kit for a while, but now I know I don't have to be too neutral for quilting.
    We did weekly shopping yesterday, so we're home until next weekend.
    Courtenay did get out for 21-mile bike ride today, so he was happy about that.

Attached Files:

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

My job is still deemed essential so I'm working everyday. All our other activities have been put on hold, so getting a few things done. I knew we stayed busy with the boys, but we have more time to occupy now than I realized.
    1) Replaced the city water inlet. The check valve has been bad since we got it, but I just screwed a plug in it when off grid to keep the pump from dumping all our water on the ground. Then last couple trips it had a steady drip at the connection even after replacing the screen and washer.
    2) Replaced the shower valve that decided it was not going to turn off when I was winterizing last year.
    3) Replace the flush pump in the toilet, much bigger job than the first two.
    4) Contemplating putting in a 30amp outlet so I can have AC in camp backyard if this thing goes through the summer.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. akriot

akriot Active Member

God bless and keep you dear. They may call the instructors to the bedside yet. When they do I will go. Let us know how you fare. Praying that you will have enough PPE.

Natureangel likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I had my electrician install a 30A RV outlet on the side of my house when I was finishing my basement so I can my AC if I need to. I think Camp Driveway is going to be happening more than a few times this summer.
    My April week at Scusset Beach got cancelled. So I'm going to do "camp side yard" that week.

Redbird234, Rik Peery and BillyMc like this.
  5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

we too, are retired. so not as impacted as others. We are doing odds and end jobs to our camper. But since we are pretty much staying at home for a while, I've decided to raise some chicks. I used to have chickens, and have missed having them. I also will plant my yearly offering to the pack rat population, in the form of a garden. Maybe some year I will figure out how to keep the plants from being eaten to the ground overnight. I suppose the desire to be more self sufficient is stronger now that we realize how easy we are used to having it.

Thank you so much to all those who are caring for the sick, on the front lines. And to those who work at essential jobs that we need so much. Thank you all so much.

Rik Peery and akriot like this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

What's eating them?

7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

We have been given one N-95 to use for a WEEK, and a regular mask for non pt areas.
    Very scary, please stay home campers! 85BB4E05-C602-48C5-8B76-BE449CA0E4D9.png My quilting friend made these! Awesome talent. She couldn’t find elastic for the ear loops

Rik Peery, akriot and WVhillbilly like this.
  8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I don't know. I suspect pack rats. I had my last garden inside a 6' x 10' dog kennel. the chain link was wrapped with deer fence and the top was covered. they don't just nibble, the whole plant is gone.

9. akriot

akriot Active Member

Those are beautiful! Look for elastic hairbands. I just bought several and sent them to my Mom to use for the masks she is making. Wake Forest MD did a study on cloth mask materials and recommended fabric with 180 thread count or flannel. Mentioned high quality quilt fabric too. If you feel the interior is getting wet switch it out! If its wet it will wick the contamination from the from of the mask inward. I'll be praying for your safety.:)

Natureangel likes this.
  10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@penny - I know there are pack rats here in ABQ, but we haven't had an issue with them, that we know of. We do have ground squirrels from time to time, one chewed the ignition wires on the truck a couple of years ago.
    Our garden issues tend to be trying to keep up with watering, and bugs. We can't use the ground for tomatoes for another year, we had wilt, again. Last year, I tried growing tomatoes in a raised container with a water reservoir, and still had to fill that every day - which is not handy when we go camping. The few tomatoes we had developed some other issue (leathery bottoms) and then the tomato worms arrived. We decided we'd just go to the farmers' markets this year.
    Courtenay did plant carrots and onions last week, we'll see if those work. Today, I'm planting sunflowers and morning glories.
    I only made masks for the the two of us, for a number of reasons. I can't go into mass production, 16 took me more than a day. The number may seem odd, but working in multiples of 4 made sense the way I was cutting the fabrics. We used half a dozen on errands, changing them after every store, we could see how quickly they'd get damp. (We finally had to get things not available in the grocery store.) When this is over, it will be interesting to see if the masks will work when I'm faced with wood smoke while camping,

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

If you find bungee cord or bungee straps, they are full of elastic bands.

12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Saw a pic this morning that showed a nurse that had sewn buttons on the side of her headband to prevent ear chafing...

Natureangel likes this.
  13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We traveled south today to check the NFS trails out we care for. We thought we could do some work, but there was more snow there than we imagined there would be and no work was done. Nonetheless, we had a great outing. Who's tracks are they in the bottom one, bobcat?
    P1040276.jpg P1040288.jpg P1040291.jpg P1040319.jpg P1040311.jpg

WVhillbilly and Rik Peery like this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Today I fixed and cleaned a countertop icemaker, added an elbow to my air hose reel so my compressor could sit closer, freeing up about 2” or so of room, replaced a microwave bulb in the vent hood, and ran to Lowes to pick up some nitrile gloves (we never got any when this all started), and picked up an Xbox for my son so he could play with all his friends (we are the lone PS4 household apparently).

I have been using my air fryer a lot, and have been really happy with it. Did catfish the other night, and fingerling potatoes yesterday. Considering getting a 2nd or a bigger one, as this one is really sized for sides. We could only fit 2 catfish fillets inside, so it made for a staggered meal for the 3 of us.

Pommom70 and Rik Peery like this.
  15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Maybe some year I will figure out how to keep the plants from being eaten to the ground overnight.

slugs. Bury a pie tin in the ground level with the surface pour in some beer and check in the morning. I was finding over a hundred a night for awhile. Clean up any leaves that maybe piled on the ground they love to live under leaves.

BillyMc and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wow, never stop learning lol, never knew that...usually deer/rabbits/woodchucks here in Va are the usually the culprits, I'll tell the wife to try this...

17. Bowman3d

I had to replant my bell pepper plants 3 times before I figured out it was the slugs.
    Fortunately I had half a keg of beer left over in my kegerator. Not saying this IS the problem just that it could be the problem

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, i would drink the beer and let the slugs have the peppers [:D]

kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No where to get planys for the garden right now. Nothing is open. Birds eat my grapes and cherries. Groundhogs try to get to my garden, its fenced off. My problem is.going away for a week, it ends up dried out and dead or full of weeds. I might scrap it this year. I did get tons of banana peppers, squash, tomatoes, lettuce, beens, cucumbers last year. Keep at it. Or dont. Whaterver works for you.

20. Bowman3d

it was old beer. I have pretty much quit drinking. Trying to get my weight down. 80 down 40 to go

Redbird234 and Rik Peery like this.