How are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JimmyM, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

I set up the pup in the driveway a couple weekends ago. Had some maintenance to do on the kill switch and wanted to flush and sanitize the water systems. Ran the water heater, AC and water pump. Gave a good cleaning and repacked it all up. Lubed the lift posts and bed rails. Basically played around all day. Then last weekend I pulled a hub that had been slinging grease since the last service. Couldn’t find anything wrong, so cleaned and repacked the outer bearing and put it back together with a new OEM dust cap from Dexter. Gardens are ready for planting, seeds are on the way. Running out of busy work, might have to start on something serious.

2. hammb

hammb Member

I wish we could even do maintenance on the pup. We put ours in indoor storage at the county fairgrounds and they are closed and basically telling people to just watch the fb fb page for when we'll be able to actually get campers out. Typically April 15 is the deadline that everything has to be out,but all they're telling us so far is that they've extended the date and will let us know when we'll be able to get it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get my shed a little more organized. I took some of the kids bikes that are too small for them now and brought them to the curb. I got a Bagster to start dumping stuff as well as a bunch of hooks to get stuff off the floor and up onto the walls.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Today I bought a steel 55 gal. drum off a guy on CL. Got it home... cut it in half, and drilled a bunch of air holes in / around the bottom. Since it looks like we may be doing a lot of camping in the back yard this year, I figured I'd need a fire pit.

5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Good thinking, got a pic?

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My fire pit 20200413_174443.jpg , but i didn't make it. Over here the oil drums were about 50 bucks or so, and i don't own a welder so i found this on let go for 100$ or 150$ , by the time i purchased the metal and made one this was a bargen. Plus i would never be able to make the top.

Rik Peery and Ductape like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I like that!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Heck, that is way nicer than what I did. I just cut my barrel in half the other way..... no mesh top. I'll get a pic when it dries out up here.

9. Sjm9911

Lol, that is what i was going to do also. But this one is cool, a 17 yo made it, i atually gave him compliments on welding at his age and being really good at it.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I am working really hard at beating the wife at Scrabble. It ain't easy. Its currently 23 games to 20, in her favor.

11. Sjm9911

Lol, learn the 3 and 2 letter words. [:D] especially the q ones. , qat, suq, qaid, lol good luck! Lol isn't one of them!

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I got busy & created a second family! Since the wife's been practicing social distancing the past month after bringing her office to the house, loneliness & boredom drove me to the internet & toy department...also picked up an air pump & patch kit... now I spend my days downstairs raising a kid & making sure "Sylvia" is comfortable as she recovers from childbirth...[CB][CB][CB]
    93430318_2884572684959592_5818932975223439360_n.png

13. Sjm9911

Ummmm...........hymmmm..........yea.......

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Ok , so this has been sitting in my garage for over a year, lol. And i didnt do a great job, i usally strip all the paint, etc. Before reduing stuff. But a quick scotchbrite pad sanding, a rattle can coat of paint. Shined up the aluminum parts and some butchers wax to the handles. Its not bad for like an hours worth or work. Its kind of cool looking, but its atuall a kick ass juicer. I used it for lemons yesterday. Yea , im board. 20200414_174026.jpg 20200415_101956.jpg 20200415_102001.jpg

15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Looks dang good dude! Recognized the Black Box lol, nice background; wife has 5 or 6 of the Pino Grigio or whatever they'd called stocked up, as well as some Oak Leaf boxes; she's found working from home w/ me being retired is more stressful than she thought lol...that juicer will last a few more generations no doubt...

Ductape and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

The Black Box was the first thing that caught my eye too :)

I have Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon in the fridge. Nice to have a glass in the evening, after a day of family confinement [:D]

That said, it's been nice to have us together. And the on-line learning, zoom science class meetings, is a nice interactive experience. Still tough on the kids not socially interacting, but the on-line learning meet ups help.

Three cheers for Black Box :)

Ductape, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

I actually started with the box wine because of the camper, beats carrying glass around. The online school stuff here is too much. For 2nd grade its like 8 hours on the computer each day. And i have a only child, she broke down yeaterday saying how she wants to go back to school and daddy school basicly sucks. I couldn't tell her she was wrong, I suck at teaching 2nd grade stuff. So ,bring on the box wine. [:D]

Ductape and BBQdave like this.
  18. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Full Disclosure :) I taught 18 years, working with folks with developmental disabilities. I enjoy teaching.

That said, it is my experience (one child I home school and one child attends public school) that the core learning for the day is around 2 hours. My son's (home school) base learning is from 1 hour to 3 hours, and then we move - hiking, biking, outdoor learning with other home school kids. Basically, the core lessons happen in 20 to 30 minutes activities - for us, it's an on-line curriculum. And then those core lessons are applied the rest of the day through moving (usually outdoor) activities.

Though different for my daughter and her public school experience, it's roughly the same. They have 20 to 30 minute class room time, then break into smaller groups to apply the core lessons. She moves a lot between classes and learning activities. This is not a knock on public schools, just a difference: they drill and practice the core material. So any given day, my daughter and son are engaged in the same amount of core learning - it's just applied differently.

Sjm9911, if possible, I would recommend core learning (especially for her age) occur in 20 minute (or less time) lessons. Then let her paint, or color, or engage in a moving activity she likes. Can the lesson she learned be applied to her world - with her moving activity, or with your world, cooking or home repairs or your job.

It is not appropriate for a child to sit 6 to 8 hours. It is not appropriate for a child to be tasked with work beyond the 6 to 8 hours of school. It is not appropriate for public education to demand a parent teach 6 to 8 hours, given you are at work (from home) and should not be tasked with doing two things at once - especially when it comes to a child's education.

My daughter's public education in kindergarten was set up for her to have a 12 hour work day, I say work, because there was more drilling than education. My wife and I quickly put a stop to that.

Your daughter should have fun with education and at this point (if she is on traditional schedule - not year round school) it's all review and not necessary to drill. Basically, the school year is done. She should have fun with the education review :)

HappyTraveler likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Ill agree with you, unfortunately all the work is turned in at the end of the day. Lol. I would much rather move to atually learing something then busy work that was thrown together last minute. Today she had a report due, lol repots at 2nd grade ,on a natural habitat of her choice. In the directions it said to list some coutries that habitat is found in. This broke down into a geography lesson as she couldn't tell the diffrence between a country, continents or an area at her age. Now an easy assignment that wasnt thought out turned into a 2 hours discusion/ cram session and still no real idea about eaither topic as it cant be crammed into 2 hours. This then put us behind on other stuff. I dont want to get into the , music, spanish, art, technology, that we never even get a chance to do.
    Learning, as you said , can be fun and educational. This is busy work.

HappyTraveler likes this.