How are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JimmyM, Mar 18, 2020.

1. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Today, I'm going to get over my reticence of performing certain tasks. Like finishing the wiring on my utility trailer, and opening up the pup to the rain and possibly snow. As a disabled arborist who only does one off tree removals and such, I'm climbing the walls instead of trees. Have alot to learn about our new pup life. I've never charged the water system, nor flushed one. Learning much by reading as many posts as I can no matter how old!
    Thank you all for the knowledge and stay healthy, from NorCal.

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I work for the County so I’m deemed essential... darn it.. so I am still working. Fortunately I’m on a 4/10 schedule on my days off I work on cleaning and fettling(repairing/ restoring) my camping stoves and lanterns. My wife says I have too many. Nah!!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I actually went and cleaned my gutters. Voluntarily. My God.

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'm a certified sawyer with the NFS. (I don't work for them) I've been certified for many years.

James Rucker likes this.
  5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I went and donated blood!
    Much needed since blood drives are suspended!

WrkrBee and James Rucker like this.
  6. James Rucker

Used to be ISA certified, but if I'm not giving estimates and climbing I dont see the need for paying to be a "part of". I could do my own trees as well, but would rather familiarize myself with the new trailer.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Thought we would take out our 50 year old 14' C-Lark daysailer for the first time in about three years, yesterday. When we decided to go, the wind was good and steady. By the time we got it hooked up, uncovered, cleaned up, vacuumed out, had lunch, fixed the rudder, the wind had changed. It had become shifty and gusty, white capping. I only raised the main, so the wife would not have to deal with the jib. We shoved off, worked our way out, and into the jet stream. Immediately had second thoughts. We headed across the lake, tucked in behind an island, and came about. We hit the jet stream again and back to the cove. We coasted in, dropped the sail, sculled in, on the trailer, and tucked her in. Enough adrenaline for one day.

Updated: I didn't know the wife got a picture Saturday.
    Fast sail.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    kcsa75, JimmyM and James Rucker like this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

We had a wind blow through here yesterday as well. The lake boats stayed off the main part of da BIG lake Superior and hugged the north and east shores. Lake freighter traffic can be seen here. Today that are still staying off the open water....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. Arlyn Aronson

We are still XCing here. But got rain all day yesterday which really knocked or snowpack down. Many more photos can be had on the dogs blog. P1040191.jpg

10. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

When it finally stops raining I was thinking of doing the same thing. How desperate are we?!?!

Arlyn Aronson and JimmyM like this.
  11. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Here is the Syracuse area our local Red Cross is doing weekly blood drives at several local churches in their gymnasiums. My youngest ds sets up blood drives 3 times a year at our church. If you are able please consider donating blood. Go to www.redcross.org to schedule an appointment. The need is great especially during this time of quarantine. We are all in this together!!

Natureangel and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've settled into our stay-at-home routine. I now have two sewing spaces set up. One in the living room, which is where I usually sew, since that's where the good light is. I am not taking the extra work table down and putting things away every day which is the routine. I set things up in the trailer so I can finish the new quilt for it out there. Again, not having to put it away after every sewing session may help things along. (It's a quilt I will be happier than usual to have done. Long story, but I finished the top 5 years ago, passed it to a quilter, thought it had been lost, but finally got it back this winter. My good friend and sewing pal quilted it as best she could given what the other person had done. I think I'll feel better about the whole debacle once it's done and on the trailer bed.)
    My husband was eligible a couple of weeks ago to give blood. He knew he'd feel lousy from his second shingles shot, so waited until after all that to donate. It was difficult to find a place with an appointment available, they seem to be doing most or all by appt. only here. He finally found one he can get to on Friday, so that will be one errand for the day.
    One day last week, I called in a to-go order to a small family-owned restaurant my friend and I usually eat at a couple of times a week. In usual times, Courtenay gets my leftovers, this time, I called in a larger than usual order, and we had two meals from it. We plan to do the same every week, as long as they're open. They don't have a window, so I did go in - it was very eerie, no dining room lights, with the owner cooking, one kitchen helper, and one jack-of-all trades, all the tables ready for customers, etc.

13. James Rucker

I had an Aunt(God keep her) who was a quilter. She used a hanging frame over their pool table, she made some beautiful quilts, that's an almost lost art. Thanks for keeping it alive!✌

Arlyn Aronson and kitphantom like this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@James Rucker - I have to admit that I'm much more of a piecer than a quilter. My mom hand quilted, but my arthritic hands don't allow for that. I do most on my own machine, but need the help of others to prep them for that. My other projects right now are quilted bags to carry my hand piecing and other things at home and camping.

Courtenay is working from home, so his territory is at the other end of the house from where I sew and compute. I'm finally getting use to hearing faint voices from his end a couple of times a day as he does group calls.

James Rucker likes this.
  15. James Rucker

Yep, my Aunt was a hand quilter 100%. Many of those quilts are considered folk art/Americana and fetch a nice price. But at that much work, I think it would mean more to just gift them. My hats off to you kitphantom!!

16. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I work in payroll for a school district, so no change for me. Most of my co workers are working from home. I just can't- house is too small, no place to actually work, plus having to haul all my paper back and forth. The district office only has a hand full of us coming in every day.

James Rucker and kcsa75 like this.
  17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

My mother was the Payroll Administrator for our school district when I was growing up. This was the day when computers were the size of washing machines and operated on cards with bunches of holes in them. She had an adding machine (not calculator) on her desk and used up a lot of pencils.

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You need some Fresh Cab. We've been using this for several years now. We store the camper in a barn next to a hay field yet have never found so much a mouse turd or a dead bug.
    https://www.earthkind.com/product/fresh-cab-rodent-repellent/
    71rqnKqeWOL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

WVhillbilly and neighbormike like this.
  19. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

We still use a lot of paper- but are this year beginning to implement a computer/phone based absence reporting system. This will greatly reduce the districts workload. When finally fully implemented, we will probably only need 1.5 people in payroll instead of three. Most of my month is taken up shuffling paper time cards to track leave usage.

kcsa75 likes this.
  20. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Hi @kitphantom, my mother-in-law used to do a lot of quilting. She had several industrial sewing machines around… I should probably dig one out of storage and see if I can learn to use it for canvas stuff.

kitphantom and James Rucker like this.