How are you preventing theft? (my sad story inside)

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by sanrico, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Mine is parked in the driveway in the summer months. I don't lock it up at all but I do have security cameras covering the area.

2. davekro

davekro Active Member

Mine has been in the driveway so I can work on it at will. Thanks for making me think to at least dig out the old tongue lock I had for my ski boat trailer and maybe make the laziest opportunist thief reconsider. Well and plus it is a 1999 10' box pup, so not an eye catcher for "I'd love to have THAT!" ;)

If I ever finish working on it, I'll put in the side yard behind a gate. :) I didn't even think about insuring it.

3. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

A neighbor (at FAR Manor, "neighbor" is someone less than a mile away) has a pup in a shed. I'm not quite sure if it's a Dutchmen or a Coachman, because I haven't stopped long enough to see. The important thing is, the hitch is maybe 15 feet from the road. I seriously doubt there's any security beyond the canonical Sector 706 security (i.e. dogs and guns). This is one of three pups I know of in the general vicinity, that can be spotted from the road, and the Starflyer can't be seen that easily.

What I'm saying is, anyone who wants to steal a camper (especially an older pup) has plenty of easier opportunities. But dropping the stabilizers is a clever idea. I'll have to add that to the passive defenses.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

'c'mon, can there BE a better name than "Starflyer"?'
    Oh man, you make me realize our Stardust is some distant poor stepchild in the Universe... a sad morning. ;)

FARfetched likes this.
  5. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I realized, just a few minutes into watching it, that there is no way it would be real so turned it off. In real life, we can only hope thieves get paid back.

What amazes me is the effort that thieves will put into stealing. We bought the 4 acres next to us some years ago that has an old house on it. At some point since we've owned it someone dug a trench to steal copper from the power pole to the house. The trench is about 2' feet deep, 1' wide and 15' long. Couldn't have been that easy. I would think a job would pay better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Then they'd have to pass a drug test.

Orchid likes this.
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And probably ain't smart enough to study for one either

Orchid and WVhillbilly like this.
  9. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

10. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

As a follow up to my previous suggestion for a wheel boot, I went back to look for something to lock the hitch that I researched a few years back when we would be leaving our camper out in clear view at Jonathan Dickinson Park (FL) and I was worried about theft. It was impossibe to get the lock in time, but I've kept it in mind. Here's a YouTube video for MegaHitchLock. Looked great!

Attached Files:

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Check out the Proven Industries coupler locks. They are built very well, although they are very pricey. Lockpicking Lawyer was able to pick in his usual 30 seconds or so, but admitted that doing it on the ground laying under the coupler (the lock points down when in use) vs doing it on his bench would be much harder, and gave it his approval (although he agreed it was overpriced).

12. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Wow, I never thought about my camper being stolen. At least not seriously. But now I am. Mine is stored in my driveway very close to the garage door. I also park my truck in front of it by the tongue. On one side is my regular passenger car, and on the other side is a tree. I do have a security camera on at all times, and a motion activated driveway light. I guess maybe I'm more prepared than I thought. But here's something else that I'm thinking about doing. I have a gun safe that is bolted to the concrete floor with four bolts, which gave me this idea. Since my camper is sitting on the concrete driveway, why not drill and install an anchor in the concrete so I could chain the tongue to the concrete slab. For those of you who park your camper on dirt, go out a buy a small boat anchor. Actually an old car flywheel or brake drum would do just as well. Attach a strong chain to it and bury it about two or three feet down in the ground. Wrap the chain around the frame of the camper in a location that is hard to get at and secure it with a heavy duty lock. The stabilizers are also down. It would take any would-be thief a long time to get through all of that.

13. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Actually, what happened was he got several volunteers to use his boxes and submit their videos to him. After he realized some were fakes he removed those clips and reposted, I believe. The video of his experience is true. (He’s my brother-in-law’s brother...the guy and his brother are crafty with a wicked sense of humor and even better sportsmanship...)

14. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry that happened to you. It’s very violating. I can’t imagine how devistated I would be, let alone my 4 and 6 year olds who love camping more than anything. I hope you can find peace again.

I think I’ll use JNC’s idea and put our stabilizer’s down. Those things are slow to put up and noisy.

15. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I sometimes bother to put the coupler lock on my popup. I park it alongside my garage, and often there is a vehicle parked in front of it. But not always, so lately I have taken to using my trailer dolly and turning it so coupler is facing toward back yard, and not driveway. So someone would need to spin it 180-degrees to access the coupler. And that feat would require trying to make this maneuver in the grass mostly, so it would take a lot of effort and time lifting and carrying the tongue weight to try and align it with any tow vehicle they may bring. I'm sure that my 26 year old popup with patched roof is not THAT appealing to anyone, to go thru the effort.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Sorry to hear about your violation. I had not hear of trailers being stolding until about 8 10 years ago. At the time we bought both the coupler ball lock and the coupler pin lock. Figured it would slow someone down. We dont use them much, mainly if we are leaving it at campground. Never hear about a trailer being taking in our neck of the woods.

17. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Growing up in Chicago my dad would use the anchors that use to stabilize telephone poles and screw them into the ground. They had a big eye on the end and then he would run a chain through the eye. Those anchors were not coming up.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  18. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Those would be helical or double helix anchors. Very good idea of your dad. If you can't get an old one from your utility company, who use them literally everywhere you see overhead power lines, you can buy one at the hardware store.

At that same hardware store, you can also buy a chain to connect the anchor eye to your trailer... and a bolt cutters to cut that chain.

Ladiesman likes this.
  19. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Lol yes you can cut chain but you have to be willing to spend the time on someones property to do that. If they want it they will take it but hopefully they take the neighbors whose is easy pickings first.

rjhammetter likes this.
  20. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Yeah, @Ladiesman, that's what I was thinking. Neighbor's pup is sitting right there at the road, and someone looking for a camper to steal wouldn't know I have one unless they come right across the front of the house. OTOH, he's is a lot more old-sK00l than me, thus more likely to open fire if he catches them in the act.

Ladiesman likes this.