How best to secure your popup as it sits in the driveway?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by rob2218, Mar 7, 2014.

1. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

...I mean I just loath my stuff to be tampered with.
    here's a story.
    my old man (God rest his soul) was a great guy. great father...great over all person.
    Everyone loved him.....especially his son.

So...one Christmas, the old man puts out his regularly nativity set. it was old, faded and in really poor shape but it gave him some happiness to see it in his yard every Christmas.
    Well...low and behold it got taken one Christmas.....I mean...really? who the Fk takes a nativity set. I know...kids playin' a prank. .....but I gotta tell ya that one single act of meanness just pissed the Fk outta me.
    I told dad to put some electrical wire and plug it into the exterior outlet....LIVE wire I wanted him to install...so when the fukers came round again...well, the good Lord would've given them a nice surprise.....but dad was too good for that....he simply said..."its ok..no big deal, it was old and whom ever took may have needed it more than me".................

goes to show ya...some folks just are better people than others...

2. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

We call that earning a week in H3// no matter what eternity holds for you.

3. kozmos

kozmos New Member

Generally if a bad guy wants your camper they will get it. All you can do is make it difficult to steal. The more difficult the less likely the bad guy will take the time to steal it. I have used a pin lock in the receiver, a coupler lock (yellow U-shaped lock easily defeated). I also use a quick-release d-ring on the crank handle. I would lower the PU when stored to keep the water off the top and remove the crank handle so someone (bad guy) would have to lift the camper by hand to take it. The more difficult it is to steal the less of a target it is.

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

No one mentioned this, but I have seen on other posts where all someone has to do is hook up your chains to their bumper. So when we keep our PUP in our Driveway, I would wrap the chains and lock with a padlock.

This past summer, we've kept our PUP at the resort where we stay. The resort itself in down a hill. On the top of the hill, the resort owner owns a couple of houses that he rents out, and allows boat and other trailers to park there. That's where he keeps our PUP, and he takes in down and parks it on our campsite before we get there, and and after we leave. Therefore, we don't lock the hitch. We feel that it is very secure there, but if not, that's what we pay insurance for.

5. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Just spend 2 minutes on youtube and you'll quickly learn how worthless all of the locks are that were mentioned above ... esp the Masterlock versions. Those devices are good when your trailer is parked next to 5 other trailers ... a thief will most likely pick the easiest one to steal. But, if yours is the only one, any thief will be able to pick those locks in 2-3 minutes.

Try it yourself. Watch the videos and grab a lock. You'll learn how to pick any Masterlock in about 5 minutes and after doing a few times, you'll become quite good at it. Thieves are idiots, but they're good at what they do. This isn't cat-burglar stuff, this is uniball pen and paper clip stuff.

Those locks only prevent teens and other similar criminals ... but that class of criminal isn't going to drive off with your trailer anyway ... more likely to vandalize it or steal pieces off the trailer.

If you're truly concerned about someone stealing your trailer, remove a wheel or two. Or, on some trailers, it's possible to remove the receiver coupler from the front of the trailer. The pin and hitch receiver locks are a joke.

6. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I think some people also put the stabilizers down to be more of a deterrent.

7. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Turn it upside down and remove the tires .... Cut off the hitch and run bolts into the ground through it ...make it real difficult [:D]

8. flash82

flash82 Member

We do this along with lowering the front. This way it would need be raised and the stabs raised for it to leave the driveway. Just would take (a little) longer.

9. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

In addition to locking the hitch or wheels, check to make sure your insurance policy covers theft of it from your property.

10. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

11. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

Locks are not perfect but they discourage the uninitiated, which fortunately describes your average thief.

12. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Ours spends 3 quarters of the year in our attached garage so it's only outside during the summer. During the time it's parked in the driveway I keep the stabilizers down, a lock on the coupler along with a latch lock and a locked cable through the wheel and leaf spring. Sure they all can be defeated but it might be too much of a hassle for the dirtbag and he'll will ply his trade elsewhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I have the best nosy neighbors [LOL] j/k but they do call if anything is askew [8D] I also pull it up as far as possible so someone would have to almost drive in my back yard to get it. [}:)]

14. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Ours has a post it note that reads:

15. bildoo

bildoo New Member

Have a State Trooper live across the street with his car parked there most of the time.

16. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I have motion sensors hooked up to air horns and a Ruger SP 101 357 magnum. [:D]

17. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Sweet.. Can you move in next to me?

18. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Definitely doesn't describe my average thief. Things may be different up in the great white north. Down here, the average thief who's in the trailer-stealing business can defeat a lock.

Again, here's a very common lock that lots of people use. Doesn't take a smart, capable thief to do what this guy does in about 15 seconds. Even if it takes a thief 10x longer to do this, it's still only a 3-minute job. Not too shabby:
    Lock Pick Master Lock Trailer Hitch Lock

Oh, and my advice is not to surf around watching the various lock-picking and bumping videos. It's depressing.

19. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

LOL. Nope. Thieves are the same here. They look for the low hanging fruit, then take it. You can only make an effort to be a less desirable target - use locks, site lighting, rottweillers, nosy neighbours, alarms, booby traps, etc. Giving up and throwing your arms in the air won't help.

Now I realize you are impressed with these youtube videos, but please try to duplicate the lock picking feats demonstrated with such apparent ease. You will be less depressed ...and less impressed by the common thieves we are concerned about. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. A lock like that could easily be defeated by brute force. But that's still not reason to NOT use locks. The lock on my truck is supposedly easily defeated but guess what? The only time I've had stuff stolen is when I forgot to lock it. Again: low hanging fruit.

FWIW I don't know of anyone whose ever had an R.V. stolen (they are a pain in the arse to fence) but I know of a fair share, including yours truly, who have had items stolen *from* RV's, such as TV's, propane tanks, batteries, alcohol, etc. I'm more concerned about that then some crackhead trying to pick my hitch lock.

20. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I'm more worried about my BAL being stolen while I'm out fishing.