How can i fine tune my side to side leveling?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by browntown3, Mar 23, 2011.

1. browntown3

browntown3 New Member

Planning our first trip outside of the yard in our camper, My question is how can i fine tune the side to side leveling ? I found if i used a 2x4 on one side it was either a little too high or without it a little too low. Sorry for the silly question, just new to the whole camper experience :) thanks in advance!

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I have several 1x6 boards cut into different lengths...the 6" is wide enough to fit good under the tire and the 3/4" thickness give me the flexibility to use several. Being staggered the boards give me a gradual grade for backing up on them.

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I use different thickness of plywood boards to 'fine tune" the side to side leveling. I am sure others will recommend the BAL single wheel leveler.

4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

NJGuy is right....lots of folks use the BAL leveler.
    [​IMG]

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I would love to try the bal-leveler, (fathers day is coming)! but for now I use the lynks blocks. If adding/removing one is to much I use 3/4" piece of plywood.

When i used wood it was the same with 2x4's or 2x6's. A 3/4" piece of plywood is half the thickness of the 2x4 or 2x6, so use that as needed to "fine tune".

I painted all of my wood to seal it and keep it from rotting and it makes it look better.

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Have a few boards of different thicknesses. After a number of trips, you'll be able to look at the wheels and determine quickly which one will get you level. Practice makes perfect.

7. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

If you are looking for exact, BAL leveler, no question. Other than that, several thicknesses of boards.
    I have done it both ways but the BAL is by far the easiest and most exact way....
    ms

8. GoDuke1

GoDuke1 New Member

I use the BAL Leveler, and it does double duty as a wheel chock too.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

10. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Build a ramp or cut a 2ft 4x4 along the diagonal to make a ramp.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I've finessed it down to just two different boards ... a 1" X 6" and a 2" X 6", both maybe 12" long. Works every time.

Whatever you do, don't yield to one of those woosie BAL levers. Just ask yourself, would one of those canvas covered rigs like what's posted below ever succumb to a BAL leveler(?)

[​IMG]

12. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

As another newbie, just how level do you really need to be?

I would think that 1 3/4 inches (2x6 thickness) over the width of the PUP should be good enough. Certainly 3/4 inch (1x6) over the width.

Is the fridge that picky? Or the roof raising? Or the entry door? Also what about if you are parked on a dirt, sand, or gravel pad; do you have to re-level when it settles or before you lower the roof? The PUP can't be that picky, can it?

Also at the risk of starting something, when you put down the stabilizers, they can move the low side 1/2 inch or so. I know you shouldn't be lifting the PUP with the stabilizer, but on mine, it only takes a fraction of a turn on the handle to move the trailer 1/2 inch.

Personally, I made a ramp that I back (or pull forward) onto. With a tandem axle, it gives me from zero to about 6 inches of rise over about 6 feet of length.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

How picky do you need to be? Pretty close is good enough. Or do like we do and carry several boards of different thicknesses. After a while, you can look at the tire and see which board you need to make a precision fit.

To be honest though, in about a third of the places we go, we can see a spot where we can pull the camper and it will be exactly level without any boards or leveling device. At other times, we disconnect and spin the camper to face a direction we prefer. With a variety of board scraps, only one or two of which you will use, you'll be fine.

The board will prevent you from sinking in sand or gravel. Maybe not quicksand or mud, but we avoid those spots.

14. micbur

I have been told the PUP needs to be fairly level for all things to work properly...if not the roof will lean to the low side and put added stress on the supports.

Each site will need different levels of adjustment...we have about 4 1x6 boards we taken in the storage area. Most of the time we only use 2 boards at the most. Should never have to use boards ounder both wheels! [LOL] I have a 4' level I take that we keep in the storage compartment for this...also have an app on my smaprtphone for virtual level! [LOL] Just eyeing the level from side to side I can tell the low side and about how many boards to use. The thinner boards are the best cause if the 2x4 is to much what will you do if not on a dirt site?

Just better for all the systems to be as level as possible. Never gone back to re adjust the level but have re tightened the stabalizers if needed.

Never ever use the stabalizers to jack up the PUP. Can bend them and warp the frame of the PUP

Just my [2C] worth

15. Manper

Manper New Member

lynx levelers! there cheap and easy!!

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Well that depends on your tolerance. Being off level has its benefits.
    The 'fridge line' is justification for some to be extreme IMO.
    Its their equipment though.

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I use the "wussie" BAL Leveler....I can generally be perfectly leveled in a matter of a couple minutes and set up in 10-15....then I'm just drinking a beer and getting the fire ready. IMO, saves a lot of tiffs with the DW as well. I'm there to camp, not to spend a bunch of time backing up and down a bunch of boards until I'm level and arguing with the DW about which board(s) to use.

18. micbur

cwolf...if you eye ball it right you only have to back up once. Only had problems using boards couple of times and that was right after getting the PUP 2 years ago. [LOL]

19. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Confession time.

We don't have a leveller. Or boards, or blocks.

We also don't have propane appliances.

We usually find we can get close enough to level.

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I've tried both boards and a BAL. For me, BAL's the best. I like a bit of slope to help the A/C condensate to drain towards the side and a BAL allows you to put it right wear you want it. Also chocks it well so there's less movement when you're inside.